GOD CAN DO ALL THINGS (NEVER FORGET THIS)!

cocoberry10

I just wanted to share this as an inspiration. It's the story of a man named Jeff Henderson. He is currently the Chef at the Bellagio (in Las Vegas). Here's the link and I am pasting the story. I'm not sure who this is for, but I hope it inspires.

We need to remember that the World will always want us to see life from our "limitations," whether those limitations are physical, emotional, or self-created (i.e. by the choices we make). But that's what makes God so good. We have to remember that God can take any situation and make miracles out of messes. Mr. Henderson's story is an example!

http://www.vegaspopular.com/2007/03...o-the-stove-bellagio-chef-jeff-hendersons-in/

From the Streets to the Stove: Bellagio Chef Jeff Henderson's Inspiring Life Story

Posted Mar 1st 2007 1:05PM by Robin Leach

bellagio_-_chef_jeff_hender.jpg

From the Streets to the Stove. From Cocaine to Foie Gras. That's the subtext to Chef Jeff Henderson's amazing life story told in his new book 'Cooked.' Today, the Cafe Bellagio executive chef tells his extraordinary journey of redemption to Oprah Winfrey. But LUXE LIFE has the full details first. From when he was earning $35,000 a week as a cocaine dealer to the 20-year sentence in the big house on San Pedro's Terminal Island federal penitentiary and, upon release, landing a job in Vegas, where he used to play "highroller" gambling with his illegal drug earnings!

"Prison saved my life," he said. "It rescued me from the streets and now I have an obligation to give back." His rehabilitation from a life of crime to a life of culinary successes is the most heartwarming story LUXE LIFE has ever told. His memoir is an inspiring journey from criminal statistic to culinary superstar! His prison job as dishwasher got him into the kitchen where he dreamed of one day being a chef; on the outside. He became the first African American to be named a Chef de Cuisine at Caesars Palace and in 2001 was named Chef of the Year in Vegas by the Tasting Institute of America for his innovative taste treats. He joined the Bellagio in 2004 as a sous chef but just two months later he earned the executive chef title. He and I got to chat about his second chance at life over an early morning coffee at his 24-hour restaurant:

Robin Leach: Congrats on the success story and congrats on being able to go on Oprah and preach the good word to the world.

Jeff Henderson: Yes, it is a blessing to be able to go on her show, she is the talk show diva and it is going to be very good. Her cameras actually filmed me in the kitchens at my Bellagio restaurant about a week ago.
jeff_henderson_pre-prison.jpg

RL: Going all the way back there were false good times when you were drug dealing, but what was the lowest point that you think you hit in this journey. What was the one thing that woke you up and made you say there is life beyond this?

JH: There were many moments and situations that got me thinking and it wasn't until I went to prison and I started watching 60 minutes 20/20, Primetime live and they would have these special reports on the effect that crack cocaine had on inner cities across the country. This being crack babies, gang banging, drive by shootings and stuff like that. Then sitting there looking back it was like wow all the bells and whistles of that lifestyle came at the expense of poor people of color in inner city communities and I think it was at that point that I really started to have remorse for things that I did when I was out there.

RL: So it was a self-realization rather than anything else.

JH: Yes, it was collective, it was a self-realization, and it was reading and studying the outside world from inside prison. It was USA Today and self-help books, African culture books and things that really built my self-esteem. I realized I was smart and that I could do other things than deal drugs. My self worth began to rise.

RL: Jeff, what was the first meal that you had to cook in the prison kitchen?

JH: The first meal was fried chicken.

RL: Would you describe it as good food or bad food?

JH: It was great food. I was very fortunate to have served my time in a federal system, their budgets are larger than the state penal systems and you are in there with a more sophisticated group of convicts, from Wall Street business moguls, lawyers, judges, police officers, educated people and inmates in prison are just as passionate about their food as America's top chef.

RL: Was Josh Thomson one of the Vegas chefs that gave you a break in the early days at LA's prestigious Bel-Air Hotel? Was he the first?

Part two

JH: Yeah he was, and at the Bel-Air Hotel when Josh he was a foot soldier in the kitchen. He worked the path and cooked all the food and prepared it all for the tables. He gave me the all I needed about the technical part of cooking, tasting, and timing of food. I was there for about two years. Prior to coming to the Bel-Air I was at the Ritz Carlton for about a 4-5 month period and before then I was at Gadsby. But the Bel-Air was my first real high-end kitchen yes. There was an article about all of these chefs from Jerry Shriver, he writes for USA Today, He wrote about the top black chefs in 96. I had that article when I was in prison and I started writing these guys letters from prison and Robert Gadsby gave me my first job as a dishwasher in Beverly Hills.

RL: What do you want the message of the book to say?

JH: The book is about redemption. It is about elevation and evolution of a man. It does take you on a journey of prime punishment and change, with stories of cooking, tasting, and stories of meals that I had to cook in order to land jobs at some of the premiere hotels on the West coast.

RL: It is very difficult for me to relate to problems that exist in the ghetto and the areas similar to where you first lived. Is it worse today there than it was 20 years ago?

JH: I don't think it is worse, there are two types of worse, back in my day the worst part was the crime behind crack, the fathers going to jail, the community being is disarray. Now, it is post 1980, now it is like the fact that we really had on the community, we have a whole generation of black and Latino men growing up without their fathers because they were incarcerated or they were in gangs, or the mother was on drugs when she gave birth. It is like a whole generation of killers was born in the '90s with that whole epidemic of drugs.

RL: Is it a miracle that you came to your senses?

JH: Absolutely. When I tell my story I say I was rescued and that prison worked for me. It doesn't work for everybody. I grew up in prison, I learned to shave in prison, and I became a man in prison. I gained redemption in prison.
cafe_bellagio_-_chef_jeff_b.jpg

RL: Now you have your own kids?

JH: I have three young children, ages nine, seven and four. And I have an older son who is 24.

RL: You are teaching them things that you were never taught?

JH: Absolutely, dinner at the table every night with mom and dad. Cookie jar in the middle, intellectual stimulation over dinner, what do you want to be when you grow up, what did you learn in school today? Challenging them in things that did not happen to me when I was younger.

RL: Do any of them cook with you?

JH: Yes. My youngest one does, Troy. She calls me the Bad Boy of cuisine. If you ask her who's her dad, she will say chef Jeff with Bad Boy Cuisine. I do these strawberries and I shoot them up with Cristal and Moet, and my daughters like to shoot them up with OJ and dip them in chocolate and serve it to their friends.

RL: What is your favorite meal to cook for yourself or to cook for customers?

JH: My favorite meal that I usually cook is my sweet potato pocket food with smoked collard greens and turkey confit.

RL: Are people surprised how candid you are with your life story?

JH: Some people are, it is a happy moment for me, but there is a time that it becomes emotional when I am rekindling the past, especially when I am speaking to young people and high school, prisons, and universities across the country. It is a dark moment and I have to go back and know that my success today is directly linked to what I do in the community. I am just as passionate about that as far as my cooking.

RL: Do you know if you have ever met a kid that you have saved that now says I want to be a cook too?

JH: Absolutely. There was a girl Tocarra Hawkins out of New Orleans and I recently went down there with an organization called MSHA and we spent time with victims of Katrina. Tocarra is very different, she is very passionate, and she wants to be a chef, she only has one arm and right now she is working at a hotel in salad prep with one arm and if you go to my website and go to you tube you will see a video of me working with her on the grill. I took on of my hands and I out it in my pocket, and used a pair of tongs and I showed her how to use those tongs like it was a second hand. I truly inspired her and her dream is to become a chef and the cafe is called cafe reconcile, they bring in kids that have a passion for cooking and they bring them off of the streets and teach them and feed them breakfast and lunch, and there are chefs that cone through. Emeril Lagasse has come there.

RL: So what do you think about this whole thing with the food in Vegas, it has taken on a life of its own and now you are a part of this world of entertainment with food.

JH: Yes, well the whole Vegas scene has really evolved over the years. I have a history in Vegas from 20 years ago when I used to play out here. It was when Caesar's was the only place in town and back then it was just steak and potatoes. Now, it has come full circle and it is the stepbrother or sister of NY. I have come to respect a lot of chefs out here, but I don't think that Vegas still gets the positive media attention like it does in NY. I am a part of it and I hope some day I will become a bigger part of it and have my own restaurant here on the Strip and roll with the big boys like Wolfgang Puck. I want to bring an urban perspective to it and be recognized as one of the African American Chefs in Vegas also. We have yet to transcend that particular area."
cafe_bellagio_-_crab_fritte.jpg

'Cooked' is published by Wm. Morrow, an imprint of Harper Collins at $24.95. In addition to his duties overseeing menu development, staff training and Cafe Bellagio restaurant operations at the resort hotel Jeff also lectures to at-risk teens urging them to avoid the mistakes he once made. My Manhattan chef friend Marcus Samuelson, of the celebrated Aquavit restaurant there commented: "As a chef Jeff is remarkable for his energy and his passion. As a man he's exceptional because of his determination and his compassion in helping people who face the same obstacles that he was once confronted with. His message shows that every dream is possible no matter how hard the journey."

God can indeed make messy situations into blessed situations.

God is great all the time !

Here's the link and I am pasting the story. I'm not sure who this is for, but I hope it inspires.GOD CAN DO ALL THINGS (NEVER FORGET THIS)!

God knows the who or whom it is for

God can indeed make messy situations into blessed situations.

God is great all the time !

:amen:
Thank you. I am always always ready to hear miracles and as one of God's messier situations...
anticipating the miracle(s) & the blessings

This is great, I heard about him on the Michael Baisden show. Hopefully his story will inspire those who are locked up right now

Back