Glamour Thinks Natural Black Hair is a "Don't"!

I find that when it comes to natural hair people project their own fears and insecurities onto others. Most white people love our natural kinks and think its cool and often wonder why we all dont wear our hair naturally. We are the only one with a natural-hair-kinky-nappy-phobia.

Disclaimer: not all of us have this problem.

I honestly think white people don;t understand our hair and all the things that go along with it. Hell alot of balck people don;t, so how would they?:perplexed

I had a few white friends who have asked me:
  • why don't i wash my hair everyday
  • they don't understand shrinkage
  • and they gasp if i talk about trims or cutting, because they say "oh no ur hair will never grow back"
  • they think we don't have curly hair
  • they think all long hair is bought or that u are mixed if u have it
This is why its so important that we represent ourselves properly in how we speak to each other about ourselves and how we perceive ourselves. After compiling that list i realize except for washing every day this is exactly how we see ourselves.
Now I am not a defender of white folks, but I can see why they believe that (the bolded). For the most part our women are relaxed and they dont see natural curls on us as much as they see relaxed heads and a great percentage of us do wear weaves. Now the red is just plain stupidity.

wooowww...this article remineded me of the episode of Living Single when Kyle was up for a promotion but hadn't heard anything and one of his black co workers said it was because of his hair and that if he wanted to get ahead he had to change it :nono:

That's funny, because I read Glamour often, and have seen natural hair styles listed as "Do's" a LOT, including braids, fros, and locs.

If this is true, then maybe it was just one ignorant person, and not the beliefs of Glamour as a whole

As a attorney for last 10 years, never even crossed my mind about hair (other than keeping clean and neat!). I interview for jobs with major lawfirms and corporations in cornrows and landed first job with very large very conservative Atlanta law firm for 2 years and then moved to a large corporate department as in-house counsel and I sported various hair styles (cornrows, single braids, relaxed, etc.) without any issues about hair, at least that I was ever made aware of. A white woman recruited me for the lawfirm job right out of school and a white male hired me at the corporation. At both places, as a black female, I was in minortiy among my peers (no pun intended!) and at the corporation, I was the only black and the only female working with 8 white males in my department for over five years. Believe me, my HAIR was never an issue. I traveled extensively on both jobs (Europe & Asia) and both environments, I found that a neat and professional appearance is all that is required, along with know your job and PRODUCING good results. Period.

That article is someone's opinion and we can debate it's validity, relevance, etc. but I thank the good Lord I never ran across that kind of individual while interviewing and if I did, thank God I had my braids on to weed them right out at the beginning (LOL) . . .

wooowww...this article remineded me of the episode of Living Single when Kyle was up for a promotion but hadn't heard anything and one of his black co workers said it was because of his hair and that if he wanted to get ahead he had to change it :nono:

Girl, I remember that episode! In fact, that is one of my most favorite shows back in the day. And sadly the one that was racist against him? A person that was a step higher than him in the law firm that also happened to be black. I noticed and second all of this message that another poster said "not many are as critical as 'we' are on ourselves":wallbash: its upsetting and hurtful but some of the more negative reactions i've gotten since i've done the BC were from a majority of black and latino individuals (i'm part of both so its twice as upsetting).

I find it funny that its said that "we as a people" look to be accepted by society and not discriminated against but look how we do our own people. Its enough to make you sick to your stomach.... whats worse? I have nothing but love for both races that represent me- if only I met more that didn't have opinions rooted in ignorance.:(

I work in a law firm and have been wearing box braids for the last 4 months and nobody as said a thing. As a matter of fact, co-workers have complemented my hair and was surprised to find out that I did it myself. I've also worned cornrows and also received positive feedback.. As someone said earlier, it's mostly black people who have a problem w/anyone who wears their hair natural..

I work in a law firm and have been wearing box braids for the last 4 months and nobody as said a thing. As a matter of fact, co-workers have complemented my hair and was surprised to find out that I did it myself. I've also worned cornrows and also received positive feedback.. As someone said earlier, it's mostly black people who have a problem w/anyone who wears their hair natural..

^^^That's self hatred.

I too work in a law office as the only black female. My cornrows are admired...hell anytime I do anything different with my hair I get compliments. I rarely wear it down and it's never sleek, especially since I'm transitioning.

I'm a natural who wears my hair pressed and sometimes in a blown out afro. All I can say is that I seem to get the most compliments from white folks when I'm wearing my hair in a fro. They even liked it at work and I'm a finance professional.:perplexed

I think some white folks are obsessed with afros. It's their guilty pleasure.:look::lol:

Now I am not a defender of white folks, but I can see why they believe that (the bolded). For the most part our women are relaxed and they dont see natural curls on us as much as they see relaxed heads and a great percentage of us do wear weaves. Now the red is just plain stupidity.

I agree with u, until we are familair and comfortable with our own hair and rock it we can't expect them to understand our hair. their hair has completely different needs and if they don't learn from us, how would they know? When i describe shrinkage to them i describe it like its the curly part of the telephone cord.

If you want to go natural you will learn to be tough and to simply ignore the negativity and ignorance. There will always be somebody with something negative say, but there will also always be people who will think you look professional and beautiful and unique. Just focus on what you want to do with your hair. If it is clean and neat and stylish, and you are educated, smart, professional, dependable and a nice person, you will have a wonderful career and future.

Hope is so right. I have been natural for three years. I love it. I was able to land another job despite being natural. My white and asian co-worker really love that I can so much with my hair. They like the texture of my hair. The Glamour editor is ignorant.

Please do not listen to these advice-givers. What is "professional" is a matter of opinion. I would never hire someone who wears her pants with her butt crack showing, but somebody does because I see them in offices all the time.

To quote a wise woman in my family, "They may say it's the dreads but it's your Black a&& they don't want." If someone is not going to hire me because of my hair, then that's not the workplace for me.

I worked in corporate law firms for 12 years, starting in a clerical job and ending up as a researcher, wearing either dreads or my natural twist out, which is what I wear now. I admit I did dress more conservatively than I would if my hair was relaxed.

Attachments

• dreadphoto.JPG
    dreadphoto.JPG
    8.9 KB · Views: 3
  • twistout.JPG
    twistout.JPG
    22.8 KB · Views: 2
Please do not listen to these advice-givers. What is "professional" is a matter of opinion. I would never hire someone who wears her pants with her butt crack showing, but somebody does because I see them in offices all the time.

To quote a wise woman in my family, "They may say it's the dreads but it's your Black a&& they don't want." If someone is not going to hire me because of my hair, then that's not the workplace for me.

That's what it really is about. Your name, your hairstyle, etc. are all just excuses. It's the black skin that you're in that they have the problem with.

Why would someone do a racist presentation in front of a room full of lawyers? Does that not sound strange to anyone but me?

So I went to American Lawyer website and there are no articles from April forward mentioning Glamour.

I googled the managing directors name + "glamour" and nothing comes up.

I'm betting that this 'story' got pulled out of somebody's ass.

I Googled "Glamour Editor Controversy" and got hits. Many led back to the link the OP provided. Got some others, here's one.
http://www.abovethelaw.com/2007/08/glamour_editor_cleary_gottlieb.php and you get more when Googling "Glamour Editor to Lady Lawyers" ...

Back