Giving into my stretch--a week early

Arian

Loc'ing Up!
:sad:

I feel defeated! I made it 8 weeks last stretch, but this time around I was shooting for 10 and just couldn't make the cut...

Now I'm going to relax this Wednesday at 9 weeks instead...I'm afraid of what I might see...

It seems no matter what I do, my hair seems dry, especially my ends...it's worse when I try to airdry in twistouts or braidouts....maintaining the moisture with those styles is difficult for me....and I notice broken strands everyday now. The only way to describe the feel of my ends is, well, grass. Hard, crunchy grass...I thought maybe it was my leave in so I threw it out.

I can't stand the breakage....it makes me want to :crying3:

I think I do everything right...at least I've done what most of the board has told me to do... I am definitely getting a trim this week because I know I need that.

I am just determined to care for my own hair. But it keeps frustrating me...:wallbash:

I'm praying that I don't have to get any cut off (besides the splits)....I don't think my heart could take it.

Here are some moisturizers that I have tried for my hair:

BB Oil Moisturizer
ORS Olive Oil (jar, this actually used to work, but maybe I was fooling myself)
Seyani Hair Butter

I haven't been using heat the last couple of weeks, so....:perplexed

Don't feel defeated!!!!!:nono: You did good:yep:. 9 weeks is awesome:yep:. I have found that you have to ease into stretching and using the right product to moisturize the hair and keep the line of demarcation strong by using proteins. Soon you will be a stretching pro in no time.!!!!! I can't wait to see the pics.:yep:

Rollersetting helps me ALOT when stretching.

Dont really think you should give in yet if your hair is breaking off

How often do you use protein?

also ORS Olive Oil in the bottle has better ingredients than the one in the jar. Infact, you'd be better off with the ORS Carrot Oil. helps alot with breakage.

Don't :crying3:! This is actually how most people transition into stretching for longer periods. You just add a week with each relaxer. Past 6-8 weeks, we really do have to learn how to deal with two textures. It's better to give yourself time to do that than deal with a setback because you went further into a stretch than you should have.

Don't feel bad at all, 9 weeks is great! That is actually when I give in to, I always shoot for 10 weeks but cave in by week 9. What I ask my self is if 9 weeks is only 1 week away from ten, how much more new growth will I get in 1 week to make a difference ? (not a lot ) So I forgive myself. I'm actually at my 9 week mark now but I don't have as much new growth now as I did over the summer so I'm going to try and stretch until 14 weeks and relax right before Christmas, I think I can do it with the help of my new flat iron I bought it straightens my new growth really well (relaxer straight).

Last edited:
What is your regimen and what products are you using each step? Shampoo, Reconstuctor, DC, leave-in?

How often are you using protein?

When's the last time you clarified?

Also, are you a no-lye or lye user? If you're no-lye, that could be one of the culprits of the dryness.

I also think you should maybe change the moisturizers you're using. Try maybe ORS in the bottle, one of the Pro-fective moisturizers, or maybe try something light like Kids Organics Shea Butter Detangling Lotion.

@moonglow--Thank you for the encouragement! I am concerned that maybe I am not using a strong enough protein to combat the breakage. Right now, I am using Aphogee Keratin 2min.

@Bachelorette--I am still learning to rollerset. I was using the Aphogee 2min every other week, but it wasn't really helping any, at least from what I could tell. So, you think I should go another week before giving in and try with a different protein treatment?

@Smartypants--I was thinking that too. 8 weeks was easy and I was going to jump right to 10, but maybe taking it one week at a time instead of two is best...thank you!

@dollbaby--My hair actually does a little better when it is flat ironed, but I was too afraid to fool with heat because I was afraid of breakage...go figure...

@Esq.2b--

1. I actually clarified last wash--usually do this every other week. May cut back on this--I wash weekly. 2nd wash, I do a moisturizing poo, Elasta QP Creme Conditioning poo.

2. I usually DC with KeraCare Humecto, but won't be buying that again. Sometimes I mix it with oils and Aussie Moist.

3. If I use a reconstructor, I use the Aphogee 2min, but I don't think it's strong enough at times.

4. I would use whatever leave in is on hand, usually a creamy one (nairobi), but I think my hair would like spray leave ins better. This product made my hair feel coated and hard when airdried.

5. I use serum and oil (may be too much), and then twist or braid my hair to airdry.

**This is where I get stuck--keeping it up, moisturizing--it gets dry, esp the ends. Then, I'm not sure if I am protecting it enough for sleep. I usually pin up with duckbill clips and sleep in a bonnet that sometimes comes off:wallbash: I am planning to go back to Profectiv Healthy Ends because I've used this in the past with success. I will definitely look into the others you suggested, except for ORS in the bottle---it's way too greasy--however, it may be needed for the braidouts....I go to the salon for a relaxer and he uses Affirm Fiberguard on me, but not sure whether it is lye or no lye...in the past, I have used no lye....

Make sure you are sealing in the moisture with a oil-based product.

My ends used to be brittle too before I started putting a sealant on top of the moisture to make sure that the moisture stays put and does try out faster. I also pincurl my hair at night to that helps keep the ends protected.

When you airdry always make sure that you have a good moisturizer in your hair.

@moonglow--Thank you for the encouragement! I am concerned that maybe I am not using a strong enough protein to combat the breakage. Right now, I am using Aphogee Keratin 2min.

@Bachelorette--I am still learning to rollerset. I was using the Aphogee 2min every other week, but it wasn't really helping any, at least from what I could tell. So, you think I should go another week before giving in and try with a different protein treatment?

If you dont think Aphogee 2 min is good enough (really you only need a really strong one ONCE a month like Nexxus Emergencee or Aphogee 2 step), for mild weekly protein you could try Joico K-Pak reconstructor.

I dont do my rollersets myself. I got to a salon. wash and set.

If your hair isnt moisturized you might wanna try another DC like perhaps MegaSilk Conditioning Treatment or the Chloestrol. Very moisturising. Leave Ins can include Aphogee Green Tea and Keratin (very nice, makes my hair strong and breakage decrease, also has crazy shine) and you can add a bit of a creamy leave in like Lacio Lacio or simple NTM Silk Touch.

If Olive Oil is too greasy, yea try carrot Oil (use dime size) or HE LTR leave in. Both are nice.

I tend to strech with the help of rollersetting and wigs/weaves.

If you dont think Aphogee 2 min is good enough (really you only need a really strong one ONCE a month like Nexxus Emergencee or Aphogee 2 step), for mild weekly protein you could try Joico K-Pak reconstructor.

I dont do my rollersets myself. I got to a salon. wash and set.

If your hair isnt moisturized you might wanna try another DC like perhaps MegaSilk Conditioning Treatment or the Chloestrol. Very moisturising. Leave Ins can include Aphogee Green Tea and Keratin (very nice, makes my hair strong and breakage decrease, also has crazy shine) and you can add a bit of a creamy leave in like Lacio Lacio or simple NTM Silk Touch.

If Olive Oil is too greasy, yea try carrot Oil (use dime size) or HE LTR leave in. Both are nice.

I tend to strech with the help of rollersetting and wigs/weaves.

Hmm, I just bought this. Target had it on sale for $2.99. I have the APH Green Tea too....but when I used it to airdry, my hair came out sticky and hard...maybe it's best if I sit under the dryer.

@Esq.2b--

1. I actually clarified last wash--usually do this every other week. May cut back on this--I wash weekly. 2nd wash, I do a moisturizing poo, Elasta QP Creme Conditioning poo.

2. I usually DC with KeraCare Humecto, but won't be buying that again. Sometimes I mix it with oils and Aussie Moist.

3. If I use a reconstructor, I use the Aphogee 2min, but I don't think it's strong enough at times.

4. I would use whatever leave in is on hand, usually a creamy one (nairobi), but I think my hair would like spray leave ins better. This product made my hair feel coated and hard when airdried.

5. I use serum and oil (may be too much), and then twist or braid my hair to airdry.

**This is where I get stuck--keeping it up, moisturizing--it gets dry, esp the ends. Then, I'm not sure if I am protecting it enough for sleep. I usually pin up with duckbill clips and sleep in a bonnet that sometimes comes off:wallbash: I am planning to go back to Profectiv Healthy Ends because I've used this in the past with success. I will definitely look into the others you suggested, except for ORS in the bottle---it's way too greasy--however, it may be needed for the braidouts....I go to the salon for a relaxer and he uses Affirm Fiberguard on me, but not sure whether it is lye or no lye...in the past, I have used no lye....

Okay.

First, you should probably stop clarifying every other week. That's way too much. Absent excessive use of cones, you can clarify every 4 to 6 weeks and your hair will be just fine. The excessive clarifying will definitely lead to dried out hair :yep:.

And when you say 2nd wash do you mean the lather immediately after the clarifying poo? Or do you mean the weeks you aren't clarifying?

Regarding the protein, you definitely need some protein to keep your hair strong, and to help to retain moisture. If you feel the Aphogee is too light, then maybe you can switch to another reconstructor such as Nexxus Emergencee (monthly) or Fantasia IC Super Reconstructor (weekly or every other week depending on your hair's needs). Either way since you're a relaxed head, you need some protein in your reggie to prevent breakage and to hold on to moisture.

Next, since you won't be purchasing Humecto again, then you should definitely try another moisturizing conditioner. Some that you may like might be Silk Elements MegaSilk Moisturizing Treatment, Organic Root Stimulator Replenishing Conditioner (or pack), or Joico K-Pak Intense Hydrator. Those are a few I can think of of the top of my head that I like but if not you can search the board for more suggestions.

Also, are you sure your hair likes airdrying? Many members complain about air drying causing their hair to be dried out and tangled up. Maybe you should try an alternative method of drying just to see if that minimizes the breaking at all.

Hope this helps. :yep:

Hmm, I just bought this. Target had it on sale for $2.99. I have the APH Green Tea too....but when I used it to airdry, my hair came out sticky and hard...maybe it's best if I sit under the dryer.

aph green tea needs to be used with heat. Its the only way it really works. I use it everytime I rollerset.
HE LTR is a very nice moisturizer IMO, you can seal it in with like a little coconut.

Okay.

First, you should probably stop clarifying every other week. That's way too much. Absent excessive use of cones, you can clarify every 4 to 6 weeks and your hair will be just fine. The excessive clarifying will definitely lead to dried out hair :yep:.

agreed.:yep:

Okay.

And when you say 2nd wash do you mean the lather immediately after the clarifying poo? Or do you mean the weeks you aren't clarifying?

Regarding the protein, you definitely need some protein to keep your hair strong, and to help to retain moisture. If you feel the Aphogee is too light, then maybe you can switch to another reconstructor such as Nexxus Emergencee (monthly) or Fantasia IC Super Reconstructor (weekly or every other week depending on your hair's needs). Either way since you're a relaxed head, you need some protein in your reggie to prevent breakage and to hold on to moisture.

Next, since you won't be purchasing Humecto again, then you should definitely try another moisturizing conditioner. Some that you may like might be Silk Elements MegaSilk Moisturizing Treatment, Organic Root Stimulator Replenishing Conditioner (or pack), or Joico K-Pak Intense Hydrator. Those are a few I can think of of the top of my head that I like but if not you can search the board for more suggestions.

Also, are you sure your hair likes airdrying? Many members complain about air drying causing their hair to be dried out and tangled up. Maybe you should try an alternative method of drying just to see if that minimizes the breaking at all.
Hope this helps. :yep:

:yep: it does help! I really am starting to think airdrying is not for me.:nono:

I am going to let up on the clarifying and up the ante on my Reconstructor. With everyone's tips, I may just go this extra mile!

Thank you so much...

Hey BamaBeauty1985,
i agree with the lovely ladies...9 wks is good!

I would also suggest

1. doing more deep conditioning. i deep condition my hair with every wash.
  2. co-wash often and use a leave-in conditioner
  3. try adding stuff to your condish...i add honey and my hair feels :lick:
  4. coconut oil makes my hair so soft...try sealing with it
  5. a product you can use as well is Dark and Lovely Daily Moisture Seal
300.jpg

try using half wigs to help you stretch your relaxers
7058_M.jpg

QW_Sabina_M.jpg

HZ-7053_M.jpg

It's better to clarify once a month, other than that continue with teh Elasta shampoo and look for more moisturizng DCs and leave ins. Good luck!

.don't worry...stretching is something you have to work with, you have to experiment and find the right product/method that works for you. When i first started stretching i had to use braids/half wigs/sew-ins to get through it. My longest stretch was 22 wks. Don't beat yourself up about not making it. Just try harder the next time&&ask questions if you need to.HTH/HHG

I had that tacky feeling with Aphogee Green tea too...you could try the CHI Keratin Mist...I love it & it doesn't have to be used with heat

:grin: Why didn't someone convince me to get this HE LTR Leave In sooner? This stuff is awesome...my hair instantly felt moisturized! I think this is a staple. I'm so happy to have found a moisturizer that my hair likes....I want to chunk all other junk, but I have to find some way to use them up...

:grin: Why didn't someone convince me to get this HE LTR Leave In sooner? This stuff is awesome...my hair instantly felt moisturized! I think this is a staple. I'm so happy to have found a moisturizer that my hair likes....I want to chunk all other junk, but I have to find some way to use them up...

Isn't it wonderful...I'm happy you like it :yay: it's definitely a staple of mine!

Don't feel bad. Shoot, I'm throwing the towel in too. I tried to make it to 20 wks, 19 will have to do. I'm planning to do my relaxer on Saturday unless I stumble across some miracle product on Wednesay wash. I'm actually dreading this wash, but I need to do my protein treatment to prepare for my relaxer. I can't believe I thought I could do 6 month stretch.:nono:

19 weeks is awesome :yep:

I can only dream....:sleeping:

But I decided to change my appointment and go another week to 10. It actually feels a lot better since I dumped my other leave in for the HE LTR.

Now I have to put myself on a personal Use 1 Buy 1 because I have a lot of products to use up!

Thanks to everyone who inspired me to keep going. Perhaps I can use these tips to go on to my next goal of 12.

Back