Getting the lye out my hair ?? how??

lissa

I've wanted to know if anyone knows what I should do to get lye out my hair. I've had it for many years now(5) ..I had gotten my hair perm with lye and the stylist didnt tell me until after
mad.gif
..( I bought the perm ). I had black hair before and now it has an reddish color to it . can I get my natural color back?? and suggestions?? thank you.

Despite the myths, there is no way to get lye out of your hair. The only thing you can do is cut it out. If you've had it for 5 years now and you're hair has not fallen out, then you should just continue to moisturize and deep conditions and if you have a problem with your hair coler changing maybe you should stay away from relaxers. Hope that helped!

Actually there is no lye in your hair. The lye was rinsed and shampooed out wasn't it?

What you want to get rid of is the straightening that the lye did. It's irreversable. There is no way to get your relaxed hair back to its natural state.

As for your natural color... I guess you could dye it. I don't color my hair, so I don't have any better suggestions.

Lissa,

To get your natural color back you would need to let the relaxer grow out and cut all of the relaxed hair off. The new (un-processed) hair should be your natural color.

There is something called scab hair which is said to be the hair that grows for a while even after you have cut out all of the relaxer. My guess is that if you have some scab hair it may not be the exact color of your natural hair and you might have to do a trim to get rid of the scab hair.

I hope this helps.

[ QUOTE ]
lissa said:
I've wanted to know if anyone knows what I should do to get lye out my hair. I've had it for many years now(5) ..I had gotten my hair perm with lye and the stylist didnt tell me until after
mad.gif
..( I bought the perm ). I had black hair before and now it has an reddish color to it . can I get my natural color back?? and suggestions?? thank you.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think her original post was about the actual color of her hair relating to the lye, and not about cutting off the relaxer? I could be wrong, but it doesn't sound like she's wanting not to relax her hair, it sounds like she's asking how to get it back to its natural color b/c the lye has changed it. From experience, lye and no lye relaxers can change the color of your hair, and leave it a reddish brown. Short of cutting it off, the only thing you can do is rinse it with a semi permanent color close to your natural color.
wink.gif

Thank you you all . .My hair was really demaged so two years ago i had to cut it really short (boy cut) but I still see the color of the lye(must be like someone said the relaxer) .. I guess like many of you have said I should go natural which is what i want to do i'm currently in braids..any suggestions on going natural ?? ..I've gotten so much infor from you all on this broad.:) Will starting form the beginning help with getting my natural hair back???

Bark brown hennalucent makes my hair extremely black. There is are threads devoted to hennalucent, search for them.

Back