Getting strange looks & resistance because I use "white products"

Do you use "white products" & are you met with doubt by others?

• Yes, some of my fave staples are "white products!"

Votes: 124 48.4%
  • No, I only use stuff "made for black people" or in the "black section."

Votes: 9 3.5%
  • Yes, I use white products and people think it's weird.

Votes: 60 23.4%
  • Yes, I use white products but nobody second-guesses it.

Votes: 131 51.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Oh when I go to the Indian grocery store that's when I get the weird looks :spinning:
Its either because they're wondering why a black woman is using henna, amla, vatika oil, etc...
OR
Its because I grab a shopping cart and take ALL of their amla, henna, vatika oil, etc LOL

One guy looked at my 6 boxes of Amla Powder and said, oh you want all that? I said hell yeah :grin:

BostonMaria you are crackin me up :lachen:!

I'm just so happy to be in the hair aisle I couldn't care less about anyone around me. A trip there could brighten any bad day!

Does Indian and Middle Eastern products this is what I use and I don't think those products are considered white. It is usually the ones with no hair at all itis telling me how I should do my hair. If it works for you fine. Again it is always the people that have NO hair trying to tell someone with hair how to do theirs.

No thanks this is why I have hair because I don't do what you do. This is what I had to tell someone after they did a weave check on me several years back.

In my experience, the same people who gave me grief on my hair care practices and products were the main ones who wanted to use my stuff, like a former roommate. My "unconventional" practices and products are the reason my hair is the way it is now.

It always the ones with the jacked up hair trying to tell you what you're doing wrong. Then when you tell them what to do, they either scoff at you, make up some excuse (but you have "good" hair :rolleyes:) or steal the products later.

They make me want to :boxing:

I don't get strange looks for buying "white hair care products" that I am aware of - I'm in my own little world/zone when I'm buying products, makeup, etc. However, I get panicked, confused, and flustered looks when I walk into "white salons" and request to see/speak to their top/master stylist. One lady at the front desk of Aveda actually stuttered! LOL! I want a white stylist to trim 1/2 inch all over off of my bob...my search continues.

ITA but I think the worst thing that I have ever experienced:

I was in need of a serious trim! I had forgotton that the salon I usually go to for my trims was closed on this particular day, I walked round the corner and saw a white salon so went in to enquire, the top stylist was a black man, with the worst looking single braids (w/ extention hair) I had seen for some time and he had the audacity to tell me that he was not taking on any new clients. I explained it was a one off visit and that I was desperate, he told me to wait for his (white, female) colleage to return from her break. What he REALLY meant was that he didn't want to do Afro-Caribbean hair. I went back there to purchase some nexxus supersize conditioner (had never seen this size before) and took my twin sons with me, at the time they had SL hair that I had cornrowed. Can you believe that same stylist had the cheek to ask if I could do his hair for him??? He even asked if I would let the boys model for him as he is a photographer on the side!!!!! :lachen::lachen::lachen:

Yes, I get that from some people who ask me what do I use on my hair and when I tell them Suave, V05, Herbal Essence, Joico, etc they look at me like I'm crazy...and if you look at the ingredients most of them have more Biotin, aloe, extracts and etc..and actually some of our popular african American products like shampoos and conditioners don't...I wonder why?

Ever since I been on LHCF I do everything in regards to my hair in an unorthodox fashion in your typical black family. I wear a scarf around my baggie bun everyday, I co-wash/wash my hair every three days, I buy vegetables butters for my hair, I use little to no heat, my hair is wet or damp 90% of the time, I don't trim my ends, and my BIG HOLY GRAIL, I use those white people products. When I do wear my hair out, people are so amazed how healthy and long my relaxed/texlaxed hair is.

When I first was on my regime my friends and family was rejecting my hair advice, but then they see my hair now and say WOW!

It always the ones with the jacked up hair trying to tell you what you're doing wrong. Then when you tell them what to do, they either scoff at you, make up some excuse (but you have "good" hair :rolleyes:) or steal the products later.

They make me want to :boxing:

EXACTLY! Hair is broke off to the high heavens...don't give me any mess!

Yep...When I fill my basket up with 10 bottles of V05 I get many strange looks. Also when I roam the aisles at Ulta picking up random stuff to try.

I hate Ulta and will never shop there again. Booo ULTA.

Anyways I don't really talk to anyone about my products or anything but I imagine some people would give you the side eye because they don't know any better. Me personally, I don't like "black" products. If i had to go with what they market to us I would go with the high end salon quality ones not the ones they sell in the store.

Anyways I don't really talk to anyone about my products or anything but I imagine some people would give you the side eye because they don't know any better. Me personally, I don't like "black" products. If i had to go with what they market to us I would go with the high end salon quality ones not the ones they sell in the store.

:lachen::lachen::lachen: Everytime someone says "side eye" I almost wet my pants. IDK why I love that saying! :yep:

I dont consider these 'white products', more like 'salon products', but yeah, I get weird looks when I'm browsing or buying the Paul Mitchell, Redken, Joico, Biolage and oh, most DEFINITELY the Kerastase... I don't know why...I haven't really gotten any weird looks when I got Herbal Essences and Aussie, though some people looked at my hair as if to wonder why I was buying them...

I get plenty of strange looks whenever i go into ulta. no matter how quick my stop in there is, i always get asked by 3 or 4 associates about whether or not i need help. after the 2nd one comes around, i either ignore them or say, "do i look like i need help?" or "are you just asking me that because i'm black, because I didn't see you ask Becky over there if she needed help."

i know, i know... bad poookie :spank:

I used to use "white" products on my hair like Herbal Essence, Biosilk and Nexxus. I don't remember any strange looks, but I do remember a friend asking me if it was okay to use that on my hair. Which I thought was a stupid question. No I shop at Whole Foods and Natural stores to get my hair products now, lol. I think I think that's strange more to me than anyone else, hahaha!

I get plenty of strange looks whenever i go into ulta. no matter how quick my stop in there is, i always get asked by 3 or 4 associates about whether or not i need help. after the 2nd one comes around, i either ignore them or say, "do i look like i need help?" or "are you just asking me that because i'm black, because I didn't see you ask Becky over there if she needed help."

LOL!!! Tell em'!! hahaha

i barely run into black ppl here, (side effect of living in the middle of nowhere) and black ppl here have to make a special effort to buy black product because there just arent any around here.

but i still get the "but thats white ppl product , u shouldnt be using it" whenever someone here asks about what i use.

I use natural products (food- soliel lol) but for detangling I use aussie moist and I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE aussie. It's a staple.

I get the doubters feeling it's so necessary to voice their opinion but they break many combs so I'm not too bothered lol. They tell me to support black products but they don't realise the black products come from asian people. If they want to support REAL black products they will use the products from africa such as shea butter and palm oil...

I hardly visit black hair stores anymore so hair product shopping trips with my girls are ALWAYS interesting.

I also find that the same people who doubt you will come to your home and dip their fingers into your products.

We are more liberal in my household.

Unless people are really desperate and express genuine interest I will not discuss what I do with my hair.

Blue magic, doo gro and pink lotion keep them happy.

no, i don't limit myself to black products and nobody has anything to say about it. my mother has garnier fructis in her shower anyway.

but lately i've been seeing YT women in the "ethnic" section getting their cholesterol

no, i don't limit myself to black products and nobody has anything to say about it. my mother has garnier fructis in her shower anyway.

but lately i've been seeing YT women in the "ethnic" section getting their cholesterol

Yep :lachen:

I don't care who it's marketed towards. I will use it if it works well.

Last edited:
ITA but I think the worst thing that I have ever experienced:

I was in need of a serious trim! I had forgotton that the salon I usually go to for my trims was closed on this particular day, I walked round the corner and saw a white salon so went in to enquire, the top stylist was a black man, with the worst looking single braids (w/ extention hair) I had seen for some time and he had the audacity to tell me that he was not taking on any new clients. I explained it was a one off visit and that I was desperate, he told me to wait for his (white, female) colleage to return from her break. What he REALLY meant was that he didn't want to do Afro-Caribbean hair. I went back there to purchase some nexxus supersize conditioner (had never seen this size before) and took my twin sons with me, at the time they had SL hair that I had cornrowed. Can you believe that same stylist had the cheek to ask if I could do his hair for him??? He even asked if I would let the boys model for him as he is a photographer on the side!!!!! :lachen::lachen::lachen:

All I can say is woooooooowww!! He got nerve. :lachen:

do you go to the ulta in the Gateway Overlook plaza near trader joes, best buy, costco etc..?

I went into an Indian grocery about a week ago to get more Vatika Oil, Rosewater, Jasmine Oil and I grabbed some Tulsi powder for the heck of it. I could see the guy checking me stuff out look at the lady on the box with the long straight hair and then back up to my fro like :blush:

I know my hair doesn't look like the lady on the box - just put it in the bag, Mr! :lachen:

that's funny:lachen:

"WHAT!? Give me bout...*count's her spare change* $15.25, and we'll go half on some KINKY-CURLY CUSTARD! Hmph...you wanna have an OPINION on MY hair products.":swearing:

LMBO. I'm not saying that I don't give preference to products that are formulated to deal with my hair's specific needs (different concentrations of certain ingredients, little to no alcohol, what-evs.) because I do, but if it's a "white-person's product" (side-eye to the phrase, even though it fits) and it WORKS!? I'm gonna buy it.:yep:

You can eyeball me, you can suck your teeth, but don't SAY A WORD, unless you coming outta pocket for a comparable product marketed to black women....and even THEN, you can expect some attitude!

You know, I have figured out that it really matter which Ulta you go to. I hate the one in Keller, but it's really close to my job. I usually window shop there and buy at the Burlseson location. They are really nice there. They arer also really nice at the Beauty Brands in Fort Worth. I will never by Joico liters anywhere else!

If I have to use all black products I would likely cry...but I'd have to say I'd be a Mizani Mami if not given any other choices.

I was happy to know there was Sally's here in México, so I went there, the girl asked me what i was looking for, and i started to mention brands ans atuff i learn about here. Her face was like : What that hell is that? so, i don't find ethnic products here, i have to use the "white" products, so is normal, anubody look me strange or anything.

I don't use the "white term" I just have products that other black women probably would not use.....

1. Paul Mitchell
2. Garnier Fructis
3. Pantene Pro-v Nature Fusion
4. Bed Head TIGI
5. Redken

I want to try more....but money is tight....

Last edited:
I just don't tell anybody my business. I don't tell them pretty much anything about my reggie, or anything. They have no clue what I use so I don't have to hear any yang about if it's a white product or not. Plus they know I WILL correct them, at length :giggle: about it... they know not to test me :boxing:

The only thing they know is that they NEVER see my real hair... I can think of 2 times in the past 2 years that my MIL has seen my real hair. One of those times she was like :blush: "It's longer than mine!" lol. I think I will do a big reveal at Xmas though, and flat iron to show length. They won't know what hit 'em, since I finally got my longest layer to Waist Length (:yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :trophy: )

Yep...When I fill my basket up with 10 bottles of V05 I get many strange looks. Also when I roam the aisles at Ulta picking up random stuff to try.

Is it the product or the quantity?:grin:

Interestingly...Latinas in my experiences have not cared.

Probably because they are using "black products":yep:...at least the ones I know do.

do you go to the ulta in the Gateway Overlook plaza near trader joes, best buy, costco etc..?

nah, i've never been. i'm in southern VA now, and the main ulta i frequent is smack dab in the middle of Confederate Flag wavin' Dixie Land. So that's probably the main reason why i get stared at, lol!

Back