getting stopped to ask about my hair

Glamorous_chic

for some reason in the past few weeks, strangers have felt the need to come to me and touch my hair. i guess i should take it as a sign i'm doing something right, and just accept the complemnt. but instead i usually feel perplexed by the comments they make and violated that they just touch my hair without asking.

one lady stopped me in the grocery store to ask me if my hair was real, and if not where i bought it. :lachen: the other was a girl at work, and stopped to ask me where i was from, and where my parents, my grand parents, and great-parents were from, b/c she couldn't believe i was all black, b/c i have "long straight hair". i wanted to tell her, umm, it's called a relaxer. lol but decided not to be sarcastic. another was a friend's relative who asked if my hair was a weave, but he asks that everytime i see him. my hair is a little past shoulder length, and is fine textured. i guess my thing is, if i was going to wear a weave, it wouldn't be this dogone short. :drunk: anyways, just thought i'd vent about it. i guess i get confused, b/c there are definently other women with much longer hair than mine, so i don't know what it is about my hair that makes it look like a weave. not sure if it's a complement or not. lol :rolleyes: wonder what they'll say once i grow it to my goal length. :grin:

I don't get that at all, people only assume my hair is a lace front. I know that because they scrutinize obsessively my hairline and just move on with a perplexe face :\

Last edited:
I don't like strangers attempting to touch my hair, but I like compliments and even take questions on if it's real or fake with stride. Now that it's shorter I'm sure I'll get stopped a lot less.

Like Christelyn said, take it as you doing something right.

BUT in my opinion, ew don't let people's dirty hands into your hair lol

You gotta remember, they're in the "real world" not LHCF world :lol: Here, we're used to seeing long hair, so SL kinda seems like nothing. But in the real world, seeing a black woman with healthy, swangin, SL hair is a rare occurance

Before I joined the board, I used to think SL was long. APL?? Fuhgetaboutit! I'd be droolin and starin like the girl had a Pop Tart glued to her head :lachen:

You gotta remember, they're in the "real world" not LHCF world :lol: Here, we're used to seeing long hair, so SL kinda seems like nothing. But in the real world, seeing a black woman with healthy, swangin, SL hair is a rare occurance

Before I joined the board, I used to think SL was long. APL?? Fuhgetaboutit! I'd be droolin and starin like the girl had a Pop Tart glued to her head :lachen:

:lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen: You are something Tiffers :lachen::lachen::lachen:

I don't get that at all, people only assume my hair is a front lace. I know that because they scrutinize obsessively my hairline and just move on with a perplexe face :\

OMG! Now that you say that....I had a woman complimenting my hair last week while shopping and she made the weirdest comment to me..."your hairline is so full and perfect". I had never heard a comment like that before. Maybe she was checking for a lace front.....crazy. :perplexed

OMG! Now that you say that....I had a woman complimenting my hair last week while shopping and she made the weirdest comment to me..."your hairline is so full and perfect". I had never heard a comment like that before. Maybe she was checking for a lace front.....crazy. :perplexed

Yesterday, for the first time in my life, I met a girl with a lacefront in real life. The first comment that came to my mind was "Oh, her hairline is so perfect" until I saw the white glue stuff or something like that:lachen:She was obviously checking my hairline, so I had plenty time to look at hers. Funny moment I am telling you.:yep:

Last edited:

hahaha, this is funny. :drunk: you guys are so right. i take the compliment and thank them respectfully. it's just when i walk away, i feel like :perplexed wth? lol i guess i just don't see what they see, but i know i'm on the right track.

You're definitely on the right track!!!

Oddly enough, no one has ever tried to feel my hair without asking. Dh says I look mean as hell, so I guess that has something to do with it :confused:

Back