Getting hair STRAIGHT after washing without bad methods????

kizzylonghair

I just wondered!, HOW DO YOU GET UR HAIR STAIGHT AFTER YOU WASH IT!
Isnt wrapping the same as combing the hair wet, or combing the hair at all when its wet a bad thing? I don’t really like the curly, Braidouts etc.
If you are not using heat how are you doing it. Are you using any special products.
I have been lurking through some of pictures and notice loads of people with straight hair.
My hair is neck length, I feel like the last time it was straight was straight after my relaxer? I have got 7 weeks of re-growth so don’t expect it to be swinging right now. But generally how do you do it???????
I don’t want to do anything to jeopardise all the hard work I have been currently giving my hair. I can bite the bullet and put up with the fact that I wont have truly straight hair for a while. While it is growing.

But if I can would appreciate you advice

Kizzy :)

You have a very good question, Kizzylonghair.
For starters, I've learned that to get relaxed hair straight after washing, it must be relaxed straight first.

My hair is not relaxed straight so I usually (not always) wear braidouts if I wear my hair down. I don't use heat but I can get a semi-straight effect (with texture) by rollersetting my hair after washing, conditioning and applying leave-in and oils (to seal in the moisture) and airdrying or using my cool setting on my hard bonnet dryer. The magnetic rollers smooth my hair, especially my ends and "straightens" my hair as much as possible. I haven't learned the art of wrapping yet.

I've seen ladies here with bone straight relaxed hair achieve straight styles by rollersetting or rollersetting and wrapping (doobie).

I too am always open to learning more about straightening hair without heat.:)

kizzylonghair said:
I just wondered!, HOW DO YOU GET UR HAIR STAIGHT AFTER YOU WASH IT!
Isnt wrapping the same as combing the hair wet, or combing the hair at all when its wet a bad thing? I don’t really like the curly, Braidouts etc.
If you are not using heat how are you doing it. Are you using any special products.
I have been lurking through some of pictures and notice loads of people with straight hair.
My hair is neck length, I feel like the last time it was straight was straight after my relaxer? I have got 7 weeks of re-growth so don’t expect it to be swinging right now. But generally how do you do it???????
I don’t want to do anything to jeopardise all the hard work I have been currently giving my hair. I can bite the bullet and put up with the fact that I wont have truly straight hair for a while. While it is growing.

But if I can would appreciate you advice

Kizzy :)

Hi Kizzy, Using the CHI silk infusion helps straighten my hair without the use of heat!

Isis is correct. If your hair is relaxed straight, you should have no problem getting your hair straight without the use of heat, or barely even combing.

Some people say that combing the hair while it is wet is a bad thing because the hair is at its weakest state, but my comb can only go through my hair while it is wet. I do NOT try to comb dry hair-- it just will not work. in my latest picture on my album, my hair was airdried, then I put 12 caruso rollers on my hair, making it curlier at the ends.

IIRC, SouthernGirl has tips for getting the hair styled very pretty without the use of the blowfryer or hooded fryer (No, I am not making a typo). Please check her album on tips for that. I think she airdries her hair to 75% (her hair is loose, not in a ponytail), then she pincurls her hair in maybe 8 sections and then lets it airdry some more. When she removes them, she has beautiful tresses.

Supergirl, I believe she just airdries her hair loose. When she does it, it looks like she did a rollerset :shocked: You can ask those two ladies to give you some extra tips or can someone on the board bump those theads about How Supergirl and Southergirl airdry their hair?

Then there is the Carolyn Gray Method of airdrying. She puts her hair in a few ponytails, puts rollers on the ends and walks around like that in her house all day. I believe the website is Blackwomenrejoice.com

HTH.

Isis said:
You have a very good question, Kizzylonghair.
For starters, I've learned that to get relaxed hair straight after washing, it must be relaxed straight first.

My hair is not relaxed straight so I usually (not always) wear braidouts if I wear my hair down. I don't use heat but I can get a semi-straight effect (with texture) by rollersetting my hair after washing, conditioning and applying leave-in and oils (to seal in the moisture) and airdrying or using my cool setting on my hard bonnet dryer. The magnetic rollers smooth my hair, especially my ends and "straightens" my hair as much as possible. I haven't learned the art of wrapping yet.

I've seen ladies here with bone straight relaxed hair achieve straight styles by rollersetting or rollersetting and wrapping (doobie).

I too am always open to learning more about straightening hair without heat.:)

Isis, Thanks for the advise girl.

Maybe roller setting is the way to go. I do have magnetic rollors at home.
But aint used them very much.

Will give them another try, Dont have a clue how to put them correct though

Can you help?

anky said:
Isis is correct. If your hair is relaxed straight, you should have no problem getting your hair straight without the use of heat, or barely even combing.

Some people say that combing the hair while it is wet is a bad thing because the hair is at its weakest state, but my comb can only go through my hair while it is wet. I do NOT try to comb dry hair-- it just will not work. in my latest picture on my album, my hair was airdried, then I put 12 caruso rollers on my hair, making it curlier at the ends.

IIRC, SouthernGirl has tips for getting the hair styled very pretty without the use of the blowfryer or hooded fryer (No, I am not making a typo). Please check her album on tips for that. I think she airdries her hair to 75% (her hair is loose, not in a ponytail), then she pincurls her hair in maybe 8 sections and then lets it airdry some more. When she removes them, she has beautiful tresses.

Supergirl, I believe she just airdries her hair loose. When she does it, it looks like she did a rollerset :shocked: You can ask those two ladies to give you some extra tips or can someone on the board bump those theads about How Supergirl and Southergirl airdry their hair?

Then there is the Carolyn Gray Method of airdrying. She puts her hair in a few ponytails, puts rollers on the ends and walks around like that in her house all day. I believe the website is Blackwomenrejoice.com

HTH.

Anky,

What a great response, Thank you

I have just peeped your album you have great hair. You airdryed I wouldnt of guessed !!!!!!

I knew there was way around this, jst needed to know how.

I will be checking out your recommendations and giving them a shot. I do enjoying protective styles, but I want the option to have my hair out to with minimine damage.(sometimes)

Will let you know how I get on

Kizzy

The best way for me to get my hair straight after washing it by getting a roller wrap (since my hair is not relaxed straight).

Last edited:
Allandra said:
The best way for me to get my hair straight after washing it by getting a roller wrap.

Thanks Allandra,

I get the rollers and the wrap. But the 2 together can you explain how to do this.

Kizzy

kizzylonghair said:
Thanks Allandra,

I get the rollers and the wrap. But the 2 together can you explain how to do this.

Kizzy
After I get a rollerset, my hair is wrapped. When I comb it down, I have smooth straight hair.

Allandra said:
After I get a rollerset, my hair is wrapped. When I comb it down, I have smooth straight hair.

Allandra,

Are there any good old posts, or personal pictures that show how to do roller set.
I have magetic rollers at home will those do

Thanks

kizzylonghair said:
Allandra,

Are there any good old posts, or personal pictures that show how to do roller set.
I have magetic rollers at home will those do

Thanks
Magnetic rollers work well for me. Check out Albane's album. She's a member here. She has great pictures of her rollerset.

I use the ponytail method for straight hair now. My hair is too thick to put in one holder, so I use two. I seperate the hair down the middle and brush it lightly back into the holder. I then stretch the hair so it is taunt (but not tight) and secure it w/a few good hair days pins on either side of my head. You could air dry this way if you had all day, but I use a cool bonnet to assist and cut my time down. Once most of my hair is dry I take the holders out and then kinda pull it around so I don't get the lumps from the holder and can dry that last part of my hair. It leaves my hair iron straight and over the next few days it continues to get straighter. You could then follow that w/a Caruso Roller set for curls. :) You could also wrap your hair after your dry if you want that look to smooth out the ends.

sengschick said:
I use the ponytail method for straight hair now. My hair is too thick to put in one holder, so I use two. I seperate the hair down the middle and brush it lightly back into the holder. I then stretch the hair so it is taunt (but not tight) and secure it w/a few good hair days pins on either side of my head. You could air dry this way if you had all day, but I use a cool bonnet to assist and cut my time down. Once most of my hair is dry I take the holders out and then kinda pull it around so I don't get the lumps from the holder and can dry that last part of my hair. It leaves my hair iron straight and over the next few days it continues to get straighter. You could then follow that w/a Caruso Roller set for curls. :) You could also wrap your hair after your dry if you want that look to smooth out the ends.

I'm co-signing, the ponytail method works for me. Also, when my hair is wet I use a "shampoo comb". I can't comb my hair when it's dry because it snaps off. Because it's healthier, my wet hair has elasticity, and I'm very gentle with it. I'm done with that old school hair raking that I used to do.

sengschick said:
I use the ponytail method for straight hair now. ...You could also wrap your hair after your dry if you want that look to smooth out the ends.

This is what I do. The ponytail method until my hair is very close to dry and then I wrap it. This give me smoother ends than the ponytail method alone.

CaramelHonee has an excellent picture in a thread she started. It definitely helped me with my rollersets. It's hand-drawn.

I also do the ponytail method of rollersetting, inspired by Integrity (Pandora). After my leave-in has been applied to my hair, I make a few ponytails (6-8 )using the safe Scunci Hair Hoisery bands soaked in oil (not too tight). I then apply my oils and roll up my wet ponytails with the magnetic rollers and secure with a long roller pin. I use large magnetic rollers to straighten rather than to curl. Then I airdry.

For me, this is the easiest way to do it and the roots airdry straighter because of the ponytail bands.

Here is one thread with info on how to rollerset in this way:
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=9400&highlight=ponytail

Last edited:
Isis, dstdiva, Mariaat40, Sengchick

Great methods, I am gonna have so much time come wash day. I have so much to try. I am like a child in a candy shop

ms_kenesha,

Thanks for the link, I can tell that you are a pro! I am printing it off right now

THANK YOU

Kizzy...did the ponytail method last night and it's definately a keeper....I am currently transitioning and my last relaxer was 10/4/04.........My hair in the back is shoulder length---sides and front are another story :p I used 4 ponytails and my new growth was soooo managable this morning!!! Thanks Ladies!!!!!

UPDATE

I did my first roller set last night and it came out so well. The ends are smooth and me hair looks and feels like it has so much more body. I re-wet my hair 3 time to see which one work for me. I tried the magnetic ones and they didn’t really work for me. It was hard to put them in place and I didn’t like the indents it left on my hair from the covers. The mesh ones got a little stuck a bit to much tugging than I expected. But the winners were rollers that have tiny little plastic grippers over them. They are a keeper in regime. This will help so much with my super grow out challenge!!!!

YEAH I CAN HAVE STRAIGHT HAIR WITHOUT MY 200 DEGREE PLUS STRAIGHTNERS

Thank you ladies. Its like having your own person beauty college at your finger tips.

Kizzy

anky said:

HTH.
I agree... I can only comb through my hair when it is wet (I have over 20 weeks of new growth). I wear my hair in a bun so I wouldn't be of help in wearing straight hair. Check out sylver2's scarf method. I think she has a lot of new growth right now and get's her hair straight without heat or too much manipulation. She wears her hair down all the time so that'll be good for you.

Poohbear said:
I agree... I can only comb through my hair when it is wet (I have over 20 weeks of new growth). I wear my hair in a bun so I wouldn't be of help in wearing straight hair. Check out sylver2's scarf method. I think she has a lot of new growth right now and get's her hair straight without heat or too much manipulation. She wears her hair down all the time so that'll be good for you.

Thanks Pooh Bear

WOW 20 weeks post relaxer thats some streching well done! Thanks I will check sllvers2 scarf method. She has great hair and length.
I will bun my hair more when I get some length, but at the moment my hair looks stupid in a bun as there is v little coming out of the band :)
But I am sure once I get the length I wont worry about not been that straight plus then i can stretch relaxers like youself. Only got to 10 weeks it was HELL!!!

I had to kinda train my hair to get straight after its dry without a blow dryer or heat, which I haven't used for over a year now. I used to try air drying years ago, but my hair always dried kind of kinky. Now it dries bone straight for the most part. I just CO wash/shampoo, spray in some Infusium 23, slather on NTM Silk-Touch Leave-In, comb through with a wide-toothed comb, tie the front with a scarf for about and hour, take the scarf out and continue to let my hair air dry just hanging down. My hair has gotten used to this, as I've been doing this for a long time. My hair dries straight and frizz free.

When its dry I put some Nexxus Botanic Oil on it, Profectiv Healthy Ends on the edges and ends, clip it up, put my scarf back on, throw on my satin bonnet to protect the back, and that's it. It keeps my hair very moist and shiny. I do this at night if I've been out or at work, but if I don't have to go anywhere, when my hair is dry, I'll do this and leave it on until my next CO wash the next day. (I CO wash 6 days a week, and shampoo and deep condition 1 day a week). I'm 8 weeks post, and my hair is very manageable.

Well my hair has been relaxed pretty straight so I don't have to use a lot of heat to get it lie flat. I can even use a scarf and it will lie flat when dry.

anky said:

HTH.

Thanks Anky for the mention!!

I know my album is in DESPERATE need of updating, but I'm slowly getting my technology issues resolved at home now that I have a computer again. I'll download the picture software this weekend and post some more updates.

I will add to what Anky said that my hair is relaxed bone-straight, and so I really never have to use heat. Even when I'm several weeks post-relaxer, if I just use the bantu method or just air-dry it flat and throw a scarf over it, it'll get really straight.

HTH,
SG

SouthernGirl said:
Thanks Anky for the mention!!

I know my album is in DESPERATE need of updating, but I'm slowly getting my technology issues resolved at home now that I have a computer again. I'll download the picture software this weekend and post some more updates.

I will add to what Anky said that my hair is relaxed bone-straight, and so I really never have to use heat. Even when I'm several weeks post-relaxer, if I just use the bantu method or just air-dry it flat and throw a scarf over it, it'll get really straight.

HTH,
SG

Kizzy,

Just to add that my hair is slightly texturized, 8/9 weeks post at present and the scarf method gets my hair to lay very flat once shampooed and conditioned. I was having issues until I started to use the scarf technique.

I also put my hair into the wet/damp ponytail and that gets my hair pretty straight when I haven't got masses of new growth.

The only way I can get my hair straight without heat is to comb-wrap it after it is washed and conditioned and cover it with a scarf to go to sleep. I only wrap it at that time. The rest of the week, I twist it lightly and sleep in my scarf.

Just a comment,

I think, and with all due deference, there are certain practices which have been labeled as almost taboo by the LHCF, i.e. use of heat, to name one.
Heat is not the enemy, but rather the way one use heat is. Many of you airdry, and if that works for you, that's terrific - seriously. But for me, it really does not. It actually makes a mess of my hair, especially the closer I get to touch-up time.

I have no problems with heat, provided that I am maintaining the proper balance of moisture and protein in my hair, which I strive to do, but do not always succeed. When I don't, I notice shedding and dryness. I also inform my stylist, who assists me in problem-solving hair dilemmas.

Bottom line: one has to really know her hair to know what really works. It can be a long process of self-education.

northernbelle

northernbelle said:
Just a comment,

I think, and with all due deference, there are certain practices which have been labeled as almost taboo by the LHCF, i.e. use of heat, to name one.
Heat is not the enemy, but rather the way one use heat is. Many of you airdry, and if that works for you, that's terrific - seriously. But for me, it really does not. It actually makes a mess of my hair, especially the closer I get to touch-up time.

I have no problems with heat, provided that I am maintaining the proper balance of moisture and protein in my hair, which I strive to do, but do not always succeed. When I don't, I notice shedding and dryness. I also inform my stylist, who assists me in problem-solving hair dilemmas.

Bottom line: one has to really know her hair to know what really works. It can be a long process of self-education.

northernbelle

North,

I agree, I tried airdrying for 3 months and it just doesnt work me.
My hair ends just were not straight( Dry and frizzy ) resulting in it looking a mess. And some unessary breakage. But i do plan to try some of these ideas on the thread. I would like to totally airdry as I know it will benefit my hair.
This board is defenetly about self-eduaction and seeing what works

Kizzy

Back