Frustrated

YummyC

OK, So I am trying to have as much time between relaxers and I don't know how to handle this new growth. It is thick and coarse!!!
I would love to hear some suggestions. ..
Thanks in advance

YummyC said:
OK, So I am trying to have as much time between relaxers and I don't know how to handle this new growth. It is thick and coarse!!!
I would love to hear some suggestions. ..
Thanks in advance
With my new growth, I apply just a little coconut oil (the virgin, unprocessed kind) and wear a satin scarf over it to flatten the poufiness. I do see good hair growth progress in your album. :) What protective styles are you doing?

I basically pin it up in a bun thing :) or a clip of some kind. I have not been able to comb it for the past few days LOL, so I just add moisturizer and finger comb it. I tried roller setting, and that worked for the ends but did nothing for the new growth.

Well For My New Growth I Tend To Do More Co Washes With The Sauve Conditioner(coconut) And After That I Wrap It And Sit Under The Dryer And It Comes Out Flat And With Full Of Body.

ALICIALYNN said:
Well For My New Growth I Tend To Do More Co Washes With The Sauve Conditioner(coconut) And After That I Wrap It And Sit Under The Dryer And It Comes Out Flat And With Full Of Body.

I'll have to give it a try, ALICIALYNN :)

Sounds like Alicialynn gave you good advice. I've never learned how to wrap hair so please let us know how that works.

I'm glad you are finger styling Yummyc. That's what I do all of the time with airdried hair.

Protective styles that work with newgrowth works well also, such as bantu knots, twists, braidouts and twistouts, (which can be done at any length). Pincurls and rollersets are great also and again, the newgrowth can be smoothed down with your satin scarf.

Last edited:
I'm currently 12 weeks post-relaxer and spaced it to 16 weeks the last time. Conditioner washing with KeraCare Humecto works for me. I leave it on for way longer than the suggessted time, usually a couple of hours and use a ton of it. Saturating my new growth with conditioner makes it a lot easier to comb after rinsing. Usually I wouldn't leave a conditioner on for longer than the directions instruct to but Humecto doesn't contain alcohol or any drying ingredients that I know of and it's been working really well for me.

I also make sure my roots stay moisturized all of the time with a creamy moisturizer, usually Carols Daughter Hair Milk or Myhoneychild Type 3 and Type 4 Hair Creme, which I use every other day or every three days to keep my hair soft and to keep it from tangling.

I've also been wearing a lot of curly styles like braidouts and bantu knot-outs. Whenever I wear these styles I just wear my hair in a curly ponytail or bun and don't comb it again until after the next wash. These styles blend in really well with my new growth and give me a break from having to comb it so much.

A_Christian said:
I'm currently 12 weeks post-relaxer and spaced it to 16 weeks the last time. Conditioner washing with KeraCare Humecto works for me. I leave it on for way longer than the suggessted time, usually a couple of hours and use a ton of it. Saturating my new growth with conditioner makes it a lot easier to comb after rinsing. Usually I wouldn't leave a conditioner on for longer than the directions instruct to but Humecto doesn't contain alcohol or any drying ingredients that I know of and it's been working really well for me.

I also make sure my roots stay moisturized all of the time with a creamy moisturizer, usually Carols Daughter Hair Milk or Myhoneychild Type 3 and Type 4 Hair Creme, which I use every other day or every three days to keep my hair soft and to keep it from tangling.

I've also been wearing a lot of curly styles like braidouts and bantu knot-outs. Whenever I wear these styles I just wear my hair in a curly ponytail or bun and don't comb it again until after the next wash. These styles blend in really well with my new growth and give me a break from having to comb it so much.

I can only wear my hair in a bun because I am in the military and the twist/braidouts are what they call "fadish" hairstyles. Thanks for your advice, I will try more condition washes. I do use CD hair butter, ubh moisturizer, s curl, kemi oil and keracare oil moisturizer with jojoba oil. My hair is still really short so I am a bit limited. I will let you know how my next wash turns out.

Isis said:
Sounds like Alicialynn gave you good advice. I've never learned how to wrap hair so please let us know how that works.

I'm glad you are finger styling Yummyc. That's what I do all of the time with airdried hair.

Protective styles that work with newgrowth works well also, such as bantu knots, twists, braidouts and twistouts, (which can be done at any length). Pincurls and rollersets are great also and again, the newgrowth can be smoothed down with your satin scarf.

Fingers are the only things that can get through this hair right now :)
Thanks Isis

If you're trying to avoid heat then keep wearing your bun. How long are you trying to wait until you get your next touch-up?

If you do not care about using heat, you should straighten/press your new growth with an electric comb or blowdryer but make sure you use a heat protectant if you decided to do so! ;)

Yummy, I'm so sorry that you're frustrated. I think that we can all relate.

I also recommend a conditioner to handle the new growth. I always use a cheapy conditioner to detangle in the shower and gently comb when doing a rollerset. I definitely think that the wrap method will make your hair more manageable.

Let us know what works, k?

I use SengChick's ponytail method with a little modification. I CW with DDTA and comb my hair in the shower. When I get out the shower, I use Sedal Leave-In and put my hair into 4 ponytails using non-break pony tail holders. In 3 hours my hair is 80% dry and I tie my ponytails up with my silk scarf and go to bed. In the morning my hair is completely dry and my roots are managable.

Poohbear said:
If you're trying to avoid heat then keep wearing your bun. How long are you trying to wait until you get your next touch-up?

If you do not care about using heat, you should straighten/press your new growth with an electric comb or blowdryer but make sure you use a heat protectant if you decided to do so! ;)

Also, if you don't care about using heat I was suggest using a Chi or ceramic flat iron. I extended for almost 5 months doing this and I am a 4B too.

As everyone else has said con washes with Keracare Con. A long term option would be add some Flaxseed Oil, Evening Primrose, 1 or both to your vitamin regime. I have heard so many on this board stating that there regrowth was softer, moist and wavy. Not as dry and as course. The PJ that I am I thought I would give it try and it WORKS I noticed results within a few weeks. I am 7 week post for the first time in my life, and its not a pleasure to manage but these combined are def helping.

PS You can bail out like I did this week and get cornrows in. I will re-do every week to make I am looking after it underneath. Stop me from worrying about for a good few weeks

I am trying to go 10 weeks. I was going to touch it up @ 8 wks, but I wanted to see just how long I could push it. I am not using any heat right now.

Thanks Kizzy..... I do take evening primrose and MSM as well as GNC Hair Nails. I have seen growth, but its thick and hard!!!

I extended, for the first time, to 12 weeks and my saving was Sta Sof Fro. Now I am not a frequent comber either so that helps, but I understand what you mean about the thick anc coarse roots. I would merely finger part my roots VERY CAREFULLY and spray a little on the roots and massage it in. I am not a protective styles person either. So I would pin curl my hair at night and finger comb in the morning. I did this for like the last 2-3 weeks before I relaxed.

Back