Frustrated with my fro

CandiedLipgloss

Hi ladies.

Please help me. I have been natural for over 2 years, and have been happy with my progress thus far, however, the longer my hair gets, the more unruly, knots, and shedding I'm experiencing at times -since I had my daughter- (which I seem to have under control with the right products and vitamins). My hair grows big and out, rather than long and heavy. It also seems like my hair has stopped at a certain length, but it's very thick, and healthy.
It was a lot easier to style, and looked much better when it was shorter, but i don't want to cut it.

I'm tired of having to spend most of my day washing, detangling, braiding or twisting. Majority of the time its under a scarf or hat, and I can't even wear it out in twists, because it doesn't look nice after a couple hours.

I am terrified of using any chemicals or braids in my hair, for fear of it falling out the way it did when I was relaxed. but I have been considering a texlax or texturizer. I'm not sure if a texlax would cause my hair to be harder to deal with and make things worse, and I heard texturizers such as S curl makes your hair fall out. :look:

My natural hair color is a bit dull, and I am considering dyeing it, i also read this can relax the curl pattern a little, and I'm wondering if I can get away with doing just that. I also need a change to get me excited about my hair again. :rolleyes: I don't know how much longer I can deal with the same routine and I'm becoming frustrated.

Some products that I use are Coconut oil, castor oil, KBB milk, ORS replenishing conditioner, ORS moisturizing hair lotion, and I alternate between garlic shampoos and Rusk shampoos (not for every wash)

Some days I have great hair days, and others are well...:nono: I'm just tired of having to wet my hair or braid/twist outs for it to look its best. Also when I flat iron myself, it never lasts longer than a couple days. :wallbash:

Don't want to make this too long, but I just needed to vent and hope someone can help. Thanks :yep:

Attachments

• FOR THREAD.JPG
    FOR THREAD.JPG
    15.8 KB · Views: 32
  • FOR THREAD2.jpg
    FOR THREAD2.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 35
  • FOR THREAD 3.jpg
    FOR THREAD 3.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 33
Hi CLG!!! First off you have some beautiful hair (ot...is that Phyllis Hyman in your siggy??) okay back to the subject...I am not natural but was wondering what type of styles were interested in? Have you tried rollersetting and then flat ironing (may provide some longevity)....Also based on the products that you mentioned...are u using a moisturizing dc also? My daughter is natural and I use protein as a leave in and use a moisturizing condish as her dc...

Hi CLG!!! First off you have some beautiful hair (ot...is that Phyllis Hyman in your siggy??) okay back to the subject...I am not natural but was wondering what type of styles were interested in? Have you tried rollersetting and then flat ironing (may provide some longevity)....Also based on the products that you mentioned...are u using a moisturizing dc also? My daughter is natural and I use protein as a leave in and use a moisturizing condish as her dc...

Hi, yes that is Phyllis :yep:

Thanks! I basically like wearing my hair big in twist/braid outs styles. But its sometimes hit or miss. Most times it will be big and chunky or dry and flat. It will also look dry always! My sister is always telling me to oil my hair, sigh. I also like to flat iron occasionally.
I never attempted to roller set on my own, but had it done at the Dominican's once.

I don't think I have a moisturizing dc, I thought the ORS replenishing was...:look:

For leave ins, i have sunsilk hyrda tlc, and lacio lacio. i used:look: to use:look: cantu, but that was drying over time.

ETA: Sometimes I wish i can slick my own hair back into a natural bun. I can in the shower, but it is never neat, and frizzies out really bad.

Last edited:
:bighug: Aww sorry to hear you are going through this.... but I'm a relaxed/texlaxed head and I stay this way for some of the very reasons you stated, I just don't have the time (at this point)to spend on grooming my natural hair.

I do my hair myself, except for salon visits every 4-6 months for a touch up .

However, I hope some naturals can chime in and help with your dilema.

Your hair is pretty.

:bighug: Aww sorry to hear you are going through this.... but I'm a relaxed/texlaxed head and I stay this way for some of the very reasons you stated, I just don't have the time (at this point)to spend on grooming my natural hair.

I do my hair myself, except for salon visits every 4-6 months for a touch up .

However, I hope some naturals can chime in and help with your dilema.

Your hair is pretty.

Thank you. I am trying to see if texlax would be the best route for me. But im terrified! lol
A friend of mine mentioned I should do bkt.

I've noticed there are no gels or holding products in your reggie.

What about trying Kinky Curl Curling Custard, Ecostlyer Gel( but most I think most naturals say they use some type of oil like evco or jbco under it to prevent hair drying out) or FSG.

Also try shingling before you do anything permanent.

I've noticed there are no gels or holding products in your reggie.

What about trying Kinky Curl Curling Custard, Ecostlyer Gel( but most I think most naturals say they use some type of oil like evco or jbco under it to prevent hair drying out) or FSG.

Also try shingling before you do anything permanent.

Oh yea, well I have those too. I have ecostyler gel (the white one) I use coconut oil first, and it still dries my hair. So I use it only when I really need it.

hey candie! big hugs to you. you know my problem as a twa was single strand knots and split ends. i clipt mine, they were too much for me. a minor set back but i'm going to get there. i'm not sure as to what poo/co you're using but organix is a great product. i'm experimenting w/ it...coconut and mocha expresso and both are very nice on my hair/scalp. it makes it feel moist rather than dry. i make a homemade mix for co with my dd's hair which is constanly dry:
nothing is measure but it works for her and may work for you
CO:
some co, a NICE amount of honey, and a smidget of shea butter and evoo

as of now following a co, i like to use a leave-in, some co(coconut n shea butter co), and a LIL oil. when her hair dries, it's soft. i do twist it up.

it sounds as if you're wanting to straightened your hair...maybe not permenant. i'm opting to go back ol' school w/ the pressing comb. there are ladies here who use heat w/ success and there are ladies who use bkt if you need support. trust me. figure out what it is that you want to do, post it, and they will respond whether it's advice or getting you into the right direction.
hth
hhg

Back