Frustrated - Really To Cut It All Off

nappyeditor

I've been having the absolute HARDEST time with my hair since I moved to Arizona. I don't know if it's the heat or the hard water or what, but my hair doesn't seem to hold ANY moisture. I just took down a protective style and had a little bit of a (dirty) twist out, but otherwise, minimal shedding and it seemed fine. As SOON as the water hits it, it almost immediately tangles up. I can barely detangle it, even after a deep conditioning. I've already cut it a few times (not a BC but shorter because it's so thick), but I'm at my wits' end at this point. Any advice?

(Should add, I've been natural for going on 10 years but this is the worst it's ever been. This is my 4th year living in Arizona).

I've been having the absolute HARDEST time with my hair since I moved to Arizona. I don't know if it's the heat or the hard water or what, but my hair doesn't seem to hold ANY moisture. I just took down a protective style and had a little bit of a (dirty) twist out, but otherwise, minimal shedding and it seemed fine. As SOON as the water hits it, it almost immediately tangles up. I can barely detangle it, even after a deep conditioning. I've already cut it a few times (not a BC but shorter because it's so thick), but I'm at my wits' end at this point. Any advice?

(Should add, I've been natural for going on 10 years but this is the worst it's ever been. This is my 4th year living in Arizona).
Trying buying 2 gallons of spring water and washing your hair with that. If it turns out well you will know it is your water and you will need to get a water filter or water softener.

Maybe do a thread with the title "Arizona Ladies Need Your Help." They probably have ideas of how to work with your climate.

If water tangles your hair, maybe dry detangling will work better. Soak your hair in cheapie conditioner and oils. Then, brush/comb it out in small sections working from the tips up to the roots. Braid it up and then move onto the next section. If your hair sheds a lot, you may have to employ this method every time you come out of a protective style.

What about looking for conditioners with a lot of slip. If silicones work for your hair and you shampoo fairly often, a heavy silicone conditioner may be your best bet for easier detangling. Silicon mix is supposed to have great slip and I found a 60 oz. jar for about $20 on Amazon.

Now that you're in a new climate, you may need to switch up products to stuff that works well in your hair type for that climate.

In terms of protective styling, can you cowash daily/every other day and bun to keep moisture in your hair? You can just shampoo every once in a while to prevent build up. Water is supposed to be the best way to moisturizer your hair so that is why I suggested frequent washing.

If that is not possible, can you fill a spray bottle with water/use spray leave in conditioner to dampen and remoisturize your hair daily or even twice a day depending on how dry your hair is.

Be careful with chopping too much hair off. Shorter hair can be harder to style depending on how short the hair is.

You can cornrow your hair, use spray leave in conditioner and wear a wig to protect your hair from the elements and drying out.

Is your hair high porosity? Some tips for high porosity hair-
https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/wavy-hair-type-2/how-to-condition-high-porosity-hair/
https://www.naturallycurly.com/curl...-cant-do-when-you-have-high-porosity-hair-bi/

If you have low porosity hair, using a steamer when you deep condition may allow you to more easily infuse moisture in your hair. I usually use the steam from my shower to "steam" my hair when I deep condition as I take scalding hot shower. I also deep condition every time I shampoo so twice a week.

Hope that helps.

Trying buying 2 gallons of spring water and washing your hair with that. If it turns out well you will know it is your water and you will need to get a water filter or water softener.

Maybe do a thread with the title "Arizona Ladies Need Your Help." They probably have ideas of how to work with your climate.
Thanks, and good idea. My hair has gone to s**** since I've moved here, but the first year I was pregnant, and then I worked nights, then I worked ALL the time so I just did what I had to and kept it moving. But now that I'm working from home, I'm looking at this bird's nest and gotsta finally figure this out and do something about it.

Thanks, and good idea. My hair has gone to s**** since I've moved here, but the first year I was pregnant, and then I worked nights, then I worked ALL the time so I just did what I had to and kept it moving. But now that I'm working from home, I'm looking at this bird's nest and gotsta finally figure this out and do something about it.
Don't give up. There are plenty of ladies on here to help you through it.

Have you tried a chelating shampoo yet to remove hard water deposits? Acidic rinses, like ACV, citric acid and absorbic acid, can help remove deposits as well. You have to let the rinse sit for a few minutes before rinsing it out, and over time any deposits should be removed.

There is a product called Malibu C that removes deposits, but it is overpriced. Check out the ingredients: Glucose, ascorbic acid, disodium EDTA, Sodium Gluconate, Sodium Lauryl Sulfoacetate, Xanthan Gum, Citric Acid and Betaine. Basically sugar, 2 acids, 2 chelators, a mild detergent, and a gum.

The ladies have given great advice. I'd also like to add that you should eliminate any products with humectants since there is no moisture in that dry desert air. So that means the humectants will be pulling moisture from your hair instead pulling moisture from the environment.

I lived in Phoenix for about 6 months last year to help my family. While there, I stuck to daily water rinsing or cowashing and weekly DCing. I only used poo once every two weeks or so. Don't forget to seal, either with a light oil (grapeseed) or with a water soluble cone condish.

GL! That's really frustrating. I hope you find something that works for you soon! :)

Have you tried a chelating shampoo yet to remove hard water deposits? Acidic rinses, like ACV, citric acid and absorbic acid, can help remove deposits as well. You have to let the rinse sit for a few minutes before rinsing it out, and over time any deposits should be removed.

There is a product called Malibu C that removes deposits, but it is overpriced. Check out the ingredients: Glucose, ascorbic acid, disodium EDTA, Sodium Gluconate, Sodium Lauryl Sulfoacetate, Xanthan Gum, Citric Acid and Betaine. Basically sugar, 2 acids, 2 chelators, a mild detergent, and a gum.
I haven't. Will look into this.

The ladies have given great advice. I'd also like to add that you should eliminate any products with humectants since there is no moisture in that dry desert air. So that means the humectants will be pulling moisture from your hair instead pulling moisture from the environment.

I lived in Phoenix for about 6 months last year to help my family. While there, I stuck to daily water rinsing or cowashing and weekly DCing. I only used poo once every two weeks or so. Don't forget to seal, either with a light oil (grapeseed) or with a water soluble cone condish.

GL! That's really frustrating. I hope you find something that works for you soon! :)

You know, the thing is, it's so WHACK because I've been natural enough to know alladis, but I think I really just took it for granted and I kind of just gave up on my hair and just wore it in tangled fros :( But the humectant thing makes perfect sense. I'm using the same products I did in South Carolina.

Another thing I would suggest is not washing your hair loose. Put your hair into large twists -- but not so large that they will unravel when you are washing them -- and wash with them in. Do not unravel them as you wash. Your hair should't get knotted this way.

You could even detangle in sections prior to washing with conditioner (and oil) and a spray bottle of water, outside of the shower.

After you shower, style as you normally would.

@nappyeditor
Are there beauty supply stores and good hair care products out there? I live in IL and the water is extremely hard here, so I have learned to deal with that. I plan on moving out to AZ. I don't know what area yet though.
@MzSwift
What products would you suggest? I try to stay away from humectants too, I have low porous hair and humectants make my hair feel like straw.

@MzSwift
What products would you suggest? I try to stay away from humectants too, I have low porous hair and humectants make my hair feel like straw.

Hey Sis! GL with your move! :)

My hair never responded well to humectant leave ins and moisturizers either so I don't mess with them. My regi primarily consists of ayurveda powders mixed into cheap, coneless condishes for cleansing and conditioning, except if I'm going to be heat straightening, so I'm terrible with recommendations.

I also don't believe in throwing away products. I would suggest using the humectants during DCing instead. I love infusing honey (humectant) into my moisture DCs.

When I was out in AZ, I cowashed with or left in Garnier Triple Nutrition or Sleek and Shine. My hair didn't like my staple, coneless, Suave Tropical Coconut when I was out there. I think the cones helped protect my hair from the sun, heat and wind. But my ayurveda condish mixes using the Suave worked well too. I have fine, cottony strands so I don't think thicker or more wirey strands would need the cones.

@nappyeditor The ladies have given great advice. Being in the desert your hair and possibly skin care routine has to change. You are in a hot, dry place as opposed to SC that gets humidity when its warm. I think on the east coast we take that for granted. I would prepare to deep condition a ton and chelate like the ladies suggested. The sealing with oil on dampr or wet hair sounds great too. Maybe you need to do a major trim or cut because if your hair has been that tangled, I am sure you have breakage and split ends all over. Give your self a good deep trim of 2-4 inches all over and make a habit to trim 1/4 of an inch every 3 months for maintanence. If my hair gets the slightest bit tangly I know its close to trim time ( I do 1/4 to 1/2 inch every season). I have a girlfriend in San Fran that is having issues with her hair and told her it maybe time to change products because SF is cooler and not humid. I am sorry you are so frustrated, hair is a big deal because when we don't look good we feel less confident.

Last edited:
@nappyeditor
Are there beauty supply stores and good hair care products out there? I live in IL and the water is extremely hard here, so I have learned to deal with that. I plan on moving out to AZ. I don't know what area yet though.
@MzSwift
Yes, my sorority sister owns one, actually! The area in which I live is kind of out of the way, so I have to make a special plan to go out there. When are you moving to AZ?

@nappyeditor
What are some of the things she carries and where is her location? (Bss) I have family out there, so maybe if she isn't too far from them, they could patronize there.

Back