Frustrated! Cant comb my new growth

Rae81

My new growth is so tangled i can not comb it. It started two weeks ago when i washed and conditioned my hair not dc but just regular condition and i let my hair dry before moisurizing it :nono:, well that was all it took because i could not comb it at all after that no matter how much moisture i put on it. So last weds i dc'd on dry hair and cowashed it while i had the condtioner on my hair i could comb right thru it, so im like yes its back to normal, well as soon as i rinsed the conditioner out it tangled right back up and i couldnt comb it. saturday i dcd again and cowashed AGAIN with aussie moist that always gets my hair nice, not this time. Conditioner and water im able to comb it once its all rinsed out its just one tangled mess. Does anyone have any suggestions? What can i do? BTW i am relaxed, and i wash my hair in the shower. i dont remember what i used the first time but last weds i used motions moisturizing silk protein mixed with ntm recovery mask mixed with honey and coconut oil as my dc and co washed with aussie moist, and on saturday i used the same thing except i used a garnier fructis triple nutrition deep conditioner instead of the ntm. Could it be the products? Please help me at this point im thinking of getting my touch up one week early

What size comb are you using?

I would wash my hair is sections/braids so that my hair won't tangle on itself after I washed out the conditioner.

Can you airdry in 4-8 big braids?

Hairveda Moist 24/7 has tons of slip. Maybe you should try a different leave-in/moisturizer?

Depending on your hair type and the density of your hair you are going to have to stop combing your NG, the same way you comb your relaxed hair.

How long has it been since your last TU? What were you doing before to assist in combing your NG?

Maybe you used too much protein...anytime I have protein overload my hair turns into a tangled mess and nothing causes slip until I restore the moisture balance.

Agrees with LovelyMiracle. She hit the nail on the head. Too much protein (overload). Try a moisturizing conditioner. KeraCare Humecto should do the trick.

I would also advise that you clarify before attempting another conditioning session (hair can act finicky when it needs to be clarified).

I would wash my hair is sections/braids so that my hair won't tangle on itself after I washed out the conditioner.

Hairveda Moist 24/7 has tons of slip. Maybe you should try a different leave-in/moisturizer?

^This^
I think it may benefit you to change your techniques - I always have alot of new growth due to the fact i only get relaxers about 3-4 times a year and i used to have this same problem.
I airdry in at least 4 braids also, this is what keeps me from pulling all my hair out lol!
I also spray my hair with mane n tail detangler and a leave in condish before putting it in braids to dry and once the braids are dry i take them out one at a time and comb it with a wide tooth comb.

Last edited:
You have my sympathy, I know how tedious and frustrating that can be . When I was transitioning and had 3 inches of new growth, I had to use 3 - 4 different combs to detangle, that was my number one reason for doing the BC 7 months early.

My last touch up.was in august, I always go a while in between relaxers but this is the first time I cactually started using products for protein. Before I would just use whatever I had. I thought it might have been to much protein and I thought about clarifying so I will try that tomorrow followed by a moisturizing deep conditioning. I use a wide month comb in the shower. I don't use rat tail combs.

Sent from my HERO200 using Long Hair Care Forum App

So do I wash the section then when I'm done braid it and move to the next section?

Sent from my HERO200 using Long Hair Care Forum App

That's EXACTLY what i was gonna come in here and advise...

..girllllll.....how many weeks post are you?? Cause lemme tell ya....doing your hair in sections....esp when it comes to washing and conditioning.... whenever the hair gets wet....is the best thing you could EVER do:yep:

Try using those large butterfly clips to section off your hair and wash one section at a time...same thing with conditioner...just when you condition take time to detangle then before putting it back up.

Also i find that gently finger combing the section first and then running your wide tooth comb or Denman brush helps out alot.:yep:...and make sure you go from tip to root all the way up.

HTH:D

When ur hair is dry, try castor oil at the roots. It works wonders when your in a hurry. It's my favorite method for dealing with the my texlaxed roots !

I wash and DC my hair in braided sections nowadays. Helps a lot. I've heard steaming your hair can help with new growth too.

Back