FRUSTRATED and GIVING UP HOPE...HELP!!!!

AMH

I just BCed in August and I am trying to stay strong and continue to grow my hair out. I used to have a strong, healthy, shiny and bouncy head of hair :grin:(relaxed of course), but I wanted to be natural...I think I might be regretting my decision.

My 4a hair (with a few small patches of 4b) is sooooo dry unless its wet or saturated with some form of oil, but when it has enough oil in it so it doesn't look and feel dry, it leaves the 'grease mark' where ever my head touches...like a have a Jheri Curl! It shrinks sooooo much too. Unless its wet, it shrinks to a half inch long, but when I pull my hair down it is at the tip of my nose (about 5-6 inches long). The length is there, but it NEVER shows!

Is there a product that I can put in my hair that will moisturize my hair all day?

Is there something that will help stop or minimize the shrinkage or help to elongate my curl?

I have already tried the Coconut-Lime mixture and it didn't do anything to my hair at all. I cannot braid my own hair so braiding it at night is not an option.

I just want to be happy with my physical appearance again and I have had a serious case of LSE since I cut my hair. :nono::wallbash: I am debating on getting a texturizer or a relaxer soon if I cannot solve this issue. :wallbash:

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!

Thanks!

Attachments

• 2009-09-13 08.47.08.jpg
    2009-09-13 08.47.08.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 68
About elongating the curls, Im not sure. Maybe a twistout?

For the dryness, try scurl. That worked well for me as a natural and I have 4b hair. Just make sure you clarify once month because it can cause buildup.

What are you using to moisturize? Oil doesnt moisturize.

Air drying killed my hair in regards to feeling moisturized for more then 5 hours at a time.

Maybe you should try rollersetting, maybe first airdrying or under cool air.

Blowdrying and rollersetting with heat have done wonders for my hair. I have avoided the breakage I once was subjective to and my hair feels soft all day, for more then one day. That has never happened to me.

For me airdrying is evil. I alternate blowdrying and rollersetting with heat every other week, on Sundays.

It sounds like your porosity is off. Do a search on it and bunch of threads will come up or click on the newbie manual in my siggy, there's a whole section on porosity.

The only thing that can get rid of shrinkage permanently is a relaxer. You could blow dry your hair and then do a twist out or braid out, that would show your length. You could also flat iron or press it. But natural hair and shrinkage go hand in hand and the only thing that can make it less annoying is time, though for some people no matter how long their hair gets it will still shrink to a few inches. You should just try to accept it now.

Instead of braiding at night, you can twist your hair instead.

Anyway, don't let the frustration cause you to relax if you really want to be natural. Get a wig for those days you really can't deal with your hair. Otherwise, try different options to get the style you want.

When I BC my hair did this as well...I co everyday and in the middle of the day or when I remembered, I would spray some water to my hair (I think I read msa suggesting this)...You need to have patience, co and sealing help my hair retain moisture.

I think your hair is pretty.

I also think once you get your moisture situation under control you'll like how your hair looks a lot more. Moisturized hair just looks... juicy. It styles better too.

I know for me as a natural (and when I was relaxed) I had a lot more luck getting good results when I sought intense moisture in the DC stage rather than after washing. I have yet to find anything that can make my hair truly soft and moisturized when its dry if it hasn't been well conditioned.

For me the more natural the conditioner, the better the results, and I like mixing castor oil and such in my conditioner...

As far as stretching or elongating the hair, I like putting in sort of chunky, random twists on freshly washed/moisturized hair and tucking them in so they can airdry for a sort of curly fro effect. I've never had too much luck with blowdrying. The only time my hair feels good blowdried is when it is in optimal condition.

The only thing that can get rid of shrinkage permanently is a relaxer. You could blow dry your hair and then do a twist out or braid out, that would show your length. You could also flat iron or press it. But natural hair and shrinkage go hand in hand and the only thing that can make it less annoying is time, though for some people no matter how long their hair gets it will still shrink to a few inches. You should just try to accept it now.

Yep agreed, JUST ACCEPT YOUR NATURAL HAIR AS IT IS.

You have transitioned physically..now its time to transition

mentally...

HTH

Don't give up hope! Your hair looks long enough to have it twisted, and then you can sport a twist out.

I don't know the position on the forum for pics that aren't ours, so I will guide you to Google images and type in: short twists, natural hairstyles, there's a great pic of Lauryn Hill with short twists, and you can probably find many others. The blond twists are GORGEOUS!!! (< will be my birthday hair!)

I hope this helps! You've got some great length, it may just be time to see it that will make all the difference!

Bon Chance!

Thanks for all of the advice.

I don't think my hair is long enough for twistouts yet.

I just don't know what to do anymore. It was so much easier when I could wash, blow dry and flat iron my hair and go. Now, no matter what I do, a few hours later, I look a mess. I work in a really conservative environment and once my hair is dry I look unexceptable.

I had been using KCKT and KCCC, which defined my curls, but left my hair white and cunchy most times. Now I am using Organics Olive Oil Growth Moisturizing Hair Lotion with Castol Oil daily. I stopped using my former shampoo and conditioner and that had cones and Mineral Oil in it and started using Elasta QP Cream Conditioning Shampoo and Elasta's Intense conditioner.

Any other ideas?

You can try leaving in your favorite cheapie conditioner for moisturized hair. That's the only thing that I have in my hair in my siggy. I used a Suave conditioner for that.

Back