From past APL to NL

I am so sorry this happened to you. My advice, be just as vocal with your stylist as you would be with a surgeon planning to perform surgery on you.

Good luck in the future but I'm sure you will have a wonderful comeback, once the initial shock is over.

I believe she tipped because not to mean. Been there done that. We as females are taught to be meek and nice.
I know when next I go to the hairdresser I will need to fight him not to cut. Why the stress I think OP your experience wants me to be a DIYER!
Sorry this happened to you. It hurts bad it happened to me so I spoke up at my last visit. Why do we need to fight each time, it is so frustrating . Be strong and continue your hair journey . Good luck!

DAMN I'm really sorry that happened to you. This is one of the many reasons why I cannot trust stylists in my hair for nothing. I thought trimming your hair after a relaxer was a bad idea? OMG man, snuff that b*&^*!!!!
Not to be biased but was this a black salon? Because I noticed that everytime in the past I visited a Jamaican or haitian salon at least the ones that where around me in BK the stylist always went bananas on my hair and by the time I came out I was either back to shoulder length or apl and mind you my ends were not even raggedy.

Girl, I'm so sorry this happened to you. :needhug:
I'm over here angry and almost in tears imagining how you felt. Ooooo, I'm mad! :fistshake: They really should have let you make the decision on a cut like that. AND, they should have detangled better before conditioning and washing the tangles in. They know better! :fistshake:

This was a Dominican hair salon.

I've decided not to be upset about it. I won't let this setback get me down. One of my old co-workers called me and we chatted for a bit and she reminded me that things could always be worse, which is true. Like I mentioned in my a blog post yesterday, I have a lot to be thankful for. Thank you for your words, whether they were nice or harsh, supportive or not, thank you. Cause I needed to hear it and I know what I need to work on, being assertive. One day at a time.

neck length isn't bad I promise! I've been neck length for a minute now just because I kept cutting it back into my bob that I loved. You'll grow back in no time. Whenever I'm neck length and my hair grows back it feels like no time has passed.

I had a similar experience but my stylist chose to put a relaxer in my head during the same visit. Thank goodness a couple months later I found LHCF!!!!!

You've been on the board for a while now...I'm just curious as to why you haven't started doing you're own hair?!?!?!?!? or why you would even trust a stylist at this point???? :perplexed:perplexed:perplexed

It seems like most newbies go thru this type of experience. I'm not judging at all (believe me, I've been thru this) but maybe you can just shed light on the situation and/or help others. :bighug:

Last edited:
this is why I have become DYER!! I am so sorry that this happened to you , I totally see where you are coming from. Just knowing what happened makes me mad , wth is up with these stylist just cutting people's hair.

I know this is too late
but I always though you are suppose to give your hair a few days break after a take down, some people wait a week a more. Shame on that stylist for doing anything to your hair right after a takedown.

PS your hair and take some growth Vits for two months then do a length check. You will see it will be back in no time
:bighug:

Honestly, I've always been scared to do my own relaxers b/c I was afraid of messing up my hair. And this is the first time I've ever had a really bad experience with a stylist.

I know you're supposed to wait a while before putting a relaxer in after takedown, but my hair has never had a problem with it.

See this is why I go to Supercuts AFTER I blow dry and flat iron my own hair. I show them exactly how much I want cut by holding up my hair and showing them. After years of being abused by so called stylists and being told I have "bad hair" I am now in control. It's your hair don't let some spiteful, unprofessional hack treat your hair like it's on a practice mannequin.

Was the cut a necessity?

ETA: after the poor detangling technique? I ask b/c this just happened to me, only in my case I don't care since I plan on cutting my relaxed ends off soon, I wanted some length gone. But I murdered my hair when I took my braids down. I felt bad b/c I normally treat it so well, but over the past few months I haven't been that kind to it. I'm no longer APL either, more like less than an inch away.

Last edited:
uh uh 42 weeks is a long time to stretch then try to use a fine tooth comb. you should've brought a good comb and you should've cut your stylist before you left. ♥

I'm sorry this happened but dang... I'm trying to wrap my head around how you let someone cut that much off your hair. I mean I did that once in my life but I was 7 and my dad made me go smh and I was crying the whole time.... I'm curious did she do it without you asking or explaining how much u wanted off???

After speaking with one of my classmates tonight, I think I'll just stick to doing my own relaxers and maybe seeing someone to do my weaves. I'm trying to learn, but it's taking me a while.

As I stated earlier, the majority of my length was lost during the detangling phase. I will now just stick to detangling myself, even though I snip a few strands here and there. It's better than having to start all over!

awwww, i want to cry for you, but man, why the hell did you let her use a fine tooth comb 1 , why did you let her dumbas$ put scissors near your hard work 2, why the F did you pay!!!(excuse me) then tiped? oh hell nah. she'd be getting nothing but a fist dead in her fat mouth from me, then id call my sista and my aunt and we'd both woop her as$ all up and down that street.

Last edited:
Oh no hun!! If you had done it yourself you would have definitely saved 4-5 inches. So sorry this happened. You have every right to feel very upset.

I know a lot of people keep asking, "Why did you pay! Why did you let them do that!?" I can't answer for you, but I know my own personality and frankly I am not the most assertive person around aggressive people. I have learned that if I can't beat 'em, I'm keeping them the hell away from me. This is the kind of environment I have experienced in many salons from childhood. The stylists often tell YOU they know what they're doing, are super aggressive, and want to tell YOU how to manage your hair and what it needs. In a salon when you are sitting there in a position of vulnerability, you often can't walk out with jacked up hair, and when you complain they get offended and act even more rough on your hair.... So I would often just sit there and they do a botched up job. I don't like having to be in a combative mode when I am getting my hair done. I have all but sworn off salons for this very reason.

I know not all stylists are the same, but finding good stylists who care about your hair growth is VERY RARE. I would just rather do it myself. When I was younger, my hair was natural and my mother had all the right steps - the moisturizing, the frequent washing, she kept our hair in cornrows constantly, she made sure it was deep-conditioned. But she took us to a salon to get it done, and they were ROUGH ROUGH ROUGH on our hair. I had a big old bushel of hair when I was five, yet it never grew past shoulder length despite all these years of being pure natural. This was because of the incredibly brutal way they treated my hair at the salons. Rough brushing, hardly any detangling, ripping out knots... they really don't care about retaining length. Many of these hair stylists think that if your hair is "sleek and bouncy" at the end of the day, who cares how much they had to rip out to get it there.... They think they did a "good job".

In sum, there is NO need to treat hair that roughly. AA hair is not unmanageable! Everytime I went to a salon it was like they were in a circus trying to tame a beast. Don't even get me started on the so called "trims" they gave where they chop off incredible lengths of hair. No WONDER people think black hair doesn't grow!

I won't get into the personal motivations for why so many stylists handle black hair this way. Some would say ignorance. Others say jealousy, others say lack of time..... Who knows? All i know is that I am staying away from hair salons and managing my own hair. And since I have been doing that, my hair has never looked better!!!!!!!

Last edited:
I am >>>here<<< with you... I went from nearly BSL and now I have a cut shorter than Halle Berry old cut... as of March 21st :nono:...

Not b/c of SHS though.. New head of healthy hair..

Back