From Locks to a Press and Go!!!

• Thread starter Thread starter patient1
  • Start date Start date
P

patient1

My lil sis started releasing her decade old locks last year and finished early this year (I think).

Anyway, she's been enjoying her loose natural hair but also missing the convenience and IMPACT of her big locked hair. Plus, after 10 years of not dealing with loose natural hair, she's been at a loss. Unfortunately, I don't live in the area anymore. (I'd LOVE to play in all of that hair).

This week she went to Chicago and had an appointment with a well-reviewed somewhat "exclusive" (I think) stylist. She had him wash, dc, blow out, and flat iron her hair in order to precision trim it.

http://public.fotki.com/7moonchild/an-unlocking/

This link will show you the before and after. I smudged out her face.

The verdict? She misses her fro and will be reuniting with her very soon. :lol: On a spa visit she got reacquainted with the steps one must take in order to maintain a straight press: shower cap in the waterfall treatment, limited time in the steam room. Although she does concede that it looks great and having it bone straight helped her see the damaged areas. She hasn't had a trim in over a decade. She also observed the slight "burnt" smell that follows after a hard press. Faint, yes, but there. What if a man leans in to say something to me? she wondered. Also, she feels that she blends in with straight hair. Her big fro made her stand out she feels.

Still, you can see she did not loose all of her hair. It's past shoulder length in the back even after the trim.

After her fiance has a look and the staff and students at her job (they'll be tickled by yet another DRASTIC hair change...she started their with her thick long lox) she's going to wash her puff back in. She copped to having a little "nappy guilt"...:lol: You'd have to go a looooong time without straight hair to understand. Some of her dearest friends have NEVER seen her with unlocked hair let alone bone straight. She met her fiance with long locks...

It's a poignant reminder that the hair might change, but the woman it covers remains the same.

Just wanted to share.:)
p1

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow her locs were really long. Yeah I bet it is hard and weird not having them but hey if it works for her, then she gotta do what she gotta do. I am happy that she was able to retain most of her length. That proves that hair will grow and thrive as long as it is cared for. Thank you and to your sis for sharing. Q

queeny20 said:
Wow her locs were really long. Yeah I bet it is hard and weird not having them but hey if it works for her, then she gotta do what she gotta do. I am happy that she was able to retain most of her length. That proves that hair will grow and thrive as long as it is cared for. Thank you and to your sis for sharing. Q

She's gotten used to not having her locks. She just felt it was "time" to release them and she did so over a period of time....taking one down per day in the shower until she couldn't hide her loose hair under her locked hair anymore.

She might be mad that I'm sharing...:look: But I'll send on your thanks anyway.:lol:

p1

newflowers said:
That is a pretty drastic change. What did her fiance and others say when they saw it?

They haven't seen it yet. She lives on the West Coast and she just had this done yesterday in Chicago. I'm sure they'll be :eek: cause that was the reaction when she revealed her unlocked hair. :)

p1
(I'm sooooooo cheating on my lurk thing....:look: )

wow her hair was pretty both ways :) i thought that you had to cut them out? that what somebody told me but you learn some thing new every day:) that why i love it here:lol: you are all way learning:D

Qow- you I understand where she was coming from. I had locs for a few years and over a span of a few months I took them out (I didn't cut my hair to a TWA). I then sported a fro and press when the mood hit. I can understand the need for change sometimes.

patient1 said:
On a spa visit she got reacquainted with the steps one must take in order to maintain a straight press: shower cap in the waterfall treatment, limited time in the steam room.

:lol: Her locs were gorgeous. However, I think it's good that she was able to see the damaged areas.

baby42 said:
wow her hair was pretty both ways :) i thought that you had to cut them out? that what somebody told me but you learn some thing new every day:) that why i love it here:lol: you are all way learning:D

That's the truth! I learned that you could take locks out a few years ago from a member on nappturality: Honeychild (the Mixtress of Oyinhandmade).

She used to have locks for several years and shared the released pics in her album. I had never heard about it until her. I shared the info with both of my sisters (both locked) and each of them took a loc or two out as confirmation of the "impossible". That was 3 or 4 years before my youngest decided to take them all out. She just retwisted the ones she released and let it relock, but that see of possibility was planted.

p1

natstar said:
Qow- you I understand where she was coming from. I had locs for a few years and over a span of a few months I took them out (I didn't cut my hair to a TWA). I then sported a fro and press when the mood hit. I can understand the need for change sometimes.

Yep! I started locking my hair for a few months last summer and then when I relocated I decided I wanted to keep enjoying my loose hair. Though locs can be styled in different ways and once they get as long as my sister's they are even more versatile and convenient (ponytails!!). The versatility of loose natural hair is sort of getting to her though and I think might relock one of these days. We're meeting up this summer for a natural styles workshop one on one.:lol:

p1

Divalicious said:
:lol: Her locs were gorgeous. However, I think it's good that she was able to see the damaged areas.

Me too. I haven't had my whole head pressed in about 16 years. I always trim the ends of my twists or plaits. On occasion I'll trim brush stretched hair.

Press trims aren't necessary for naturals and when you're locked splits and what not don't matter at all (one reason why I was going to lock my porous hair). However, she wanted to get any and ALL damage off. So precision trim it was.

I'm planning to go to Balisi this summer and have the same thing done. I don't look good with straight hair though, but I'll post a pic here anyway (maybe:look: )

p1

Its a tough process but unlocking can be done. A stylist I used to see unlocked her hair so that she could relock it the way she wanted it. She wore a press and curl inbetween. It was so crazy to see b/c she did a press and curl one weekend and relocked her hair by the next.

I think your sis looks great with both styles.. thanks for sharing. I really like your commentary too. :)

I had no idea that a person could unlock either. Thanks for sharing your sister's journey. She looks great both ways. Good luck with her unlocked tresses.

Here hair is pretty both ways. Wow, the locks were long. I am glad she is happy! That's what matters most! Very Pretty!

Thanks ladies! I'm going to pass on the compliments. I think she's feeling a little strange and out of her element, so it'll be good for her to hear you all's nice words.

Letitia! Who's that sexy mama in your new avatar?? :)
p1

Nice thread Patient. :up: Your sister's hair looks nice and I learned something new. I didn't know hair could be "unlocked." I'd always thought you had to cut the locks and start over.

Anywhoo--I know you'll be there to give your sis great hair advice. :yep:

My sister gave me the okay to post her pics....guess I didn't have to blur her beautiful face anyway. :)

Thanks (on her behalf) for all the supportive words. Folks can catch a lot of flack when they forego their longtime look for something vastly different. I'm sure anyone who transitioned or chopped to natural or any natural who decided to texturize or relax can relate. Even someone who goes from very long to short can catch heck.

I'm sure she loves knowing she has bitextural appeal. LOL!!

p1

UPDATE: She's back to her natural hair. The fiance requested the 'return of the fro'.

I thought that was an interesting spin on things since we usually think that men won't accept our natural hair.

So anyway, she's back to wearing her natural hair and has a new respect for women who wear a hard press for longer than a few days. :)

p1

baby42 said:
:) i thought that you had to cut them out? that what somebody told me but you learn some thing new every day:) that why i love it here:lol: you are all way learning:D

I thought you had to cut them out too. This thread is really interesting. I think the transition is so wonderful.

Back