Fro Breakage...

I have been experiencing a bit of fro breakage :sad:
I typically don't comb my hair except once a week.
I can run my fingers thru my hair sometimes to fluff my fro or when I cowash to get the conditioner in my hair and I get these little currlies in my hand or I see them in the tub. It is not the whole strand of hair, which is how I know it is breaking. :perplexed

I try to keep my current regi simple...
clarifying poo when necessary with an oil rinse (olive oil/coconut oil mix)
Cowash every other day, or depending on how I have my hair styled.
detangle once a week with my seamless comb
dc about every three weeks with ORS paks and cheapie conditioner
no heat
Sometimes I baggie
I work out, drink water, all that good stuff.
Is my regi too simple, am I missing something?
Help a sista out :yep:

Maybe try a protein conditioner or treatment to strengthen your hair. I use Nexxus Keraphix or Aubrey's GPB

Lys

Do you use any leave-ins? My first thought is that the DC's and cowashing isn't enough to keeps your ends fully moisturized (esp. if you wear 'out/loose' styles a lot), so they are snapping off. For naturals, I almost always think you should try upping moisture before you head for the protein......

I have been experiencing a bit of fro breakage :sad:
I typically don't comb my hair except once a week.
I can run my fingers thru my hair sometimes to fluff my fro or when I cowash to get the conditioner in my hair and I get these little currlies in my hand or I see them in the tub. It is not the whole strand of hair, which is how I know it is breaking. :perplexed

I try to keep my current regi simple...
clarifying poo when necessary with an oil rinse (olive oil/coconut oil mix)
Cowash every other day, or depending on how I have my hair styled.
detangle once a week with my seamless comb
dc about every three weeks with ORS paks and cheapie conditioner
no heat
Sometimes I baggie
I work out, drink water, all that good stuff.
Is my regi too simple, am I missing something?
Help a sista out :yep:

It sounds really good, your reggie. I bolded and made red the part about your DC tx. I could be mistaken, but I thought that the ORS packs were protein treatments. I know that when I am having breakage, it's b/c my moisture/protein balance is off. I know w/ the products that I use, they lean more on the side of protein, so I have added moisturizing, water based products to my rotation, and it's workin out great. Do you use a leave-in condish? if so is it water based? Try baggying at night w/ watered down, moisturizing condish, and rinse in the am, using a water based leave-in first then a light oil (jojoba, coconut or macadamia nut) to seal and see how it goes for you. Hth:yep:

ETA: also you might wanna try protective styling more often, and dc weekly till the breakage slows down.

Last edited:
Maybe try a protein conditioner or treatment to strengthen your hair. I use Nexxus Keraphix or Aubrey's GPB

Lys

I'll have to try and find those.

It sounds really good, your reggie. I bolded and made red the part about your DC tx. I could be mistaken, but I thought that the ORS packs were protein treatments. I think they are too, but I don't use them but maybe once a month. I know that when I am having breakage, it's b/c my moisture/protein balance is off. I know w/ the products that I use, they lean more on the side of protein, so I have added moisturizing, water based products to my rotation, and it's workin out great. Do you use a leave-in condish? I used to but it didn't seem like it was doing much for my hair. if so is it water based? Try baggying at night w/ watered down, moisturizing condish, and rinse in the am, using a water based leave-in first then a light oil (jojoba, coconut or macadamia nut) to seal and see how it goes for you. Hth:yep:

ETA: also you might wanna try protective styling more often, I would but I don't know of any styles that I like for my length of hair. and dc weekly till the breakage slows down.

See above (purple). I also have mane and tail conditioner at home. Is that a good protein conditioner?

I'm with you. I can't see anything wrong with your regimen. If the ORS packs contain protein like stated earlier, I'd suggest switching to a non-protein conditioner. I have some questions:

• Is your hair dyed? Highlighted?
  • When you fluff/finger-comb/detangle, do you tug on the hair a bit? Do you hear snaps and pops?
  • Does your hair FEEL sufficiently moisturized when you rub it between your fingers?
  • What do you sleep in at night? Bonnet? Etc.

If I'm not mistaken, most oils can't penetrate the hair shaft, so since your mixture has a lot of oils, maybe that can be the problem?

Last edited:
I have some questions:
  • Is your hair dyed? Highlighted? No
  • When you fluff/finger-comb/detangle, do you tug on the hair a bit? Rarely Do you hear snaps and pops? Not since I switched combs
  • Does your hair FEEL sufficiently moisturized when you rub it between your fingers? Not always. Sometimes it feels more oily than moisturized. I have been trying to get that balance right too.
  • What do you sleep in at night? Bonnet? Etc. Satin type bonnet and a pillowcase

If I'm not mistaken, most oils can't penetrate the hair shaft, so since your mixture has a lot of oils, maybe that can be the problem?

I'm not sure :ohwell:
I haven't found a good leave-in. I was using Giovanni Direct for a while but it didn't really do much for me, so I made my own.
It is a bit better but it does leave my hair a little oily. Not jerri curl oily but oily :grin:

• Does your hair FEEL sufficiently moisturized when you rub it between your fingers? Not always. Sometimes it feels more oily than moisturized. I have been trying to get that balance right too.

It doesn't sound like a good sign if your hair feels more oily than moisturized. I believe LadyKaypnyc has a good point here ... the oils probably aren't penetrating your strands. Try cutting out the EVOO from your leave-in mixture and adding glycerin. (So your leave-in is now shea, coconut oil, and glycerin; and get a water-based leave-in like ajargon suggested.)

Last edited:
When my hair was sheding I used aphogee. The product line has done very well for my hair. My hair is bleached and dyed honey blonde and I have no breaking or shedding. I use the protein monthly bx I of the bleaching and I use the moisturizer weekly and I use the oil aphogee has 2x weekly.

Aphogee Oil
Aphogee moisturizer
Aphogee Protein Condish

Im experiencing this prob myself. I have some Aphogee leave-in. Could I apply that for a little added protein?

Also, do you think DCing after every wash is to much? I use CON shampoo and Proclaim Cholesterol for DC.

AZAfroGurl: thanks for starting this thread. Its helping me out also

I'm not sure :ohwell:
I haven't found a good leave-in. I was using Giovanni Direct for a while but it didn't really do much for me, so I made my own.
It is a bit better but it does leave my hair a little oily. Not jerri curl oily but oily :grin:

PLEASE see my review on Redken's SMooth Down Butter Treat! It can be used as a leave-in! All naturals need to try this product!!

Back