Friend with 4b/c hair wants to relax every 4 weeks

• Thread starter Thread starter Tee
  • Start date Start date
T

Tee

She has a "weak spot" that always breaks at the point where her new growth meets her relaxed hair. Her stylist suggested to her that she relax her hair every month to combat this problem!
shocked.gif
This makes no sense whatsoever to me! I told her that she should have her stylist leave that part of her hair unrelaxed and give it time to grow out and get healthy again. Was this good advice? Any other suggestions she could try?

She's asking for trouble relaxing that often, IMO. Ive always been told its best to wait at least 6 to 8 weeks. Lately I've been doing 8 weeks, and find that my problem areas are slowly improving, especially my nape. Maybe she should get a good protein conditioner and when she has a lot of new growth, try to limit manipulating her hair.

Re: Friend with 4b/c hair wants to relax every 4 w

I had to for a long time, because I did not know how to take care of my new growth. Now that I know, I am at 6 weeks, and that's as far as I will go. You have to continually condition your hair and know how to use minimal products. She will eventually get to 6 weeks. I will try for 8 weeks after a while, but it will take a while.

i'm just curious, what is 4c hair? i thought type 4 hair only had 2 sub-types.

I think 4c is hair with no detectable definition. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I think 4a has distinct s-shape curls/coils and 4b has z-shaped curls/coils.

I have had the same problem on several occasions and the culprit was always either a relaxer that was too strong or they were leaving it on too long. Either way my relaxed hair was overprocessed and weak and would break at the new growth. I switched relaxers and hair dressers and timed them and researched.

Does your friend have fine hair? I do with slightly resistant curl and most people want to treat it as if it's coarse.

Her hair isn't that fine, but definitely not as coarse as it looks. I think she uses a regular or super strength Affirm now. I think you're right about her hair being over processed.

^ that's what i was wondering because i'd never heard of it before.

Thanks for the correction, Caress. I could have sworn I've seen people on this board describe their hair as 4c and even 4z.

I used to have the same problem. All she has to do is use a protein treatment (AOGPB) and moisturizing products like shea butter, WGO to help maintain the two textures. She should try picking up a moisturizing shampoo, conditioner and leave-in. STAY AWAY from curling irons, flat irons and blow dryers; do rollersets or an air-dried hair style.

i dont understand when people say they dont know how to take care of a months worth of new growth. isn't that usually just 1/4- 1/2 inch of hair, at best 3/4 inch without vitamins? it just seems like such a small amount of length to be causing huge problems.

Back