Frequent Washing defense

kisz4tj

I went to a dominican salon on Friday and I saw a woman who had beautiful hair so I asked if she had a regimen when I told her mine I found myself defending why I wash/rinse my hair so frequently, even the dominican stylist was like "no good mami". This isn't the first time, even with my friends, their like that's too much, it's not good for "our hair".

Back to the woman, she only washes once or twice every two weeks, but she's in terrific shape so she exercises regularly and she drinks lots of water. She told me a horrible hair experience that she'd had while vacationing in Africa, she had her hair styled in goddess braids and between the hard water and the intense sun when she tried to take the braids out her hair it was so brittle and damaged, she couldn't put a comb through it and as a result couldn't perm it for awhile. So ladies beware of those elements as many of you vacation this summer.

I went to get a re-touch this weekend and asked my hair dresser about frequent wetting of the hair and conditioning washes. She explained to me that is was not good either. She told me that always having the hair wet and putting it it ponytails (maybe she meant tight ponytails/buns) makes the hair weak in the area where the ponytail was. She said that she recently had to cut several inches of her own hair because she said her hair was damaged from putting her hair in a ponytail while it was wet. Those were her exact words.

I think it matters how you treat your hair while it is wet that will determine if it will break off or become weak. I believe that frequent rinsing can be beneficial , but you should be gentle with and try to put it in a loose ponytail or clip, wear a scraf to lay down any frizz for about 15 minutes and then go. That is what I try to do when I condition it frequently.

[ QUOTE ]
I think it matters how you treat your hair while it is wet that will determine if it will break off or become weak. I believe that frequent rinsing can be beneficial , but you should be gentle with and try to put it in a loose ponytail or clip, wear a scraf to lay down any frizz for about 15 minutes and then go. That is what I try to do when I condition it frequently.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope - I think the above solutions willl just about handle the concerns noted. They are valid - but surmountable.
smile.gif

Well I did say that I don't always use shampoo because it can be drying and explained that I use conditioner for my washes or sometimes I just rinse but I'm looked upon as a radical especially when I tell them about "the board", I get this look....maybe I am a radical, so what!!! I'll be a radical with long hair.

i think it's important that everyone finds a routine that works for THEM. some people wash their hair every day and they have beautiful hair, some people wash their hair every 3 weeks and they have beautiful hair. everybody's different, but there is one thing that everybody should do, who wants long healthy hair and that is being gentle with it. but other than that all routines are different.

Ha HA. I told a couple of people about this board.. including my boyfriend. They also looked at me funny and thought it was weird. But I explained that this site is similar to sites that that focus on health, fitness or fashion. But in our case we are focusing on hair and the proper care of it.

Ha.. I'll show them how weird it is when I am sashaying down the streets of Manhattan with long hair!

[ QUOTE ]
i think it's important that everyone finds a routine that works for THEM. some people wash their hair every day and they have beautiful hair, some people wash their hair every 3 weeks and they have beautiful hair. everybody's different, but there is one thing that everybody should do, who wants long healthy hair and that is being gentle with it. but other than that all routines are different.

[/ QUOTE ]
D I T T O !

You should also beware that your stylists may tell you things just to get you to come in more often. When I told mine I was going to get braids this summer, she started giving me reasons why it's bad for my hair. And she has braids!!! But if I do, I won't see her again for at least another two months. Your stylist may think that all of this self-care your doing is making her lose $$. while this isn't always the case,it's something to think about.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I completely agree with you!
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]

You should also beware that your stylists may tell you things just to get you to come in more often. When I told mine I was going to get braids this summer, she started giving me reasons why it's bad for my hair. And she has braids!!! But if I do, I won't see her again for at least another two months. Your stylist may think that all of this self-care your doing is making her lose $$. while this isn't always the case,it's something to think about.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this too, I had a stylist tell me, I would love to see you more often than just coming in to do your relaxers every 3 or 4 months, i just kinda looked at her thinking yeah i'm sure you would like for me to come in every two weeks like the rest of your clients but i don't think so!!

I'm glad you said that Melodee because I'm going to a hair consultation this Saturday and I was wondering if I should really trust what the Stylist says as being true or just a way to keep me coming back for more.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Ditto on that!
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
So we can have short soft hair or long stinky hair. Are those the options??

[/ QUOTE ]
smile.gif
YES....short to none if we keep listening to those hairdressers who make a living from innocent people and their hard earned $$$. I know, I've lived through many horror stories to tell....too many for this board.
In God We May Trust, In Hairdressers...We May NOT!
My opinion folks....it's firm!
wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
So we can have short soft hair or long stinky hair. Are those the options??

[/ QUOTE ]
Long and soft...
smile.gif

I don't have to defend anymore...
I'm as they say.."laughing all the way to the bank(or to the hair ???..come on ladies...help me out...lol!) You all know what I mean
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Back