Fractal Curls

almond eyes

Can you please explain what the definition of a fractual curls are. The definition I have read is the following:

"Curls that might be described as twizzles, micro-spirals or fractal corkscrews • An almost steplike pattern to your hair. • Hair that is relentlessly dry • Hair that is hypersensitive to rough handling • Curls that don't change with the season • A receding hairline from having hair pulled back too tight, relaxed or the weight of a weave • A spring factor of 9 to 16 inches"

So, what is the difference between this and fine hair that is longer than six inches especially when wet and hanging or with excessive product.

Is there a way that fractal curls need to be managed that is any different?

Best,
Almond Eyes

Last edited:
Your definition is similar to what is written in "Curly Girl" by Lorraine Massey. Are you reading the actual book or what someone else wrote about Factual curls?

Factual curls is another description for 3c to 4c hair.

The difference between fine hair and fractal curls are fine hair can be any hair texture (1a, 2b, 4b, and etc.) and factual curls are 3c to 4c hair.

High level summary from the book, factual curls need more conditioner than wavy and Botticelli hair.

Your definition is similar to what is written in "Curly Girl" by Lorraine Massey. Are you reading the actual book or what someone else wrote about Factual curls?

Factual curls is another description for 3c to 4c hair.

The difference between fine hair and fractal curls are fine hair can be any hair texture (1a, 2b, 4b, and etc.) and factual curls are 3c to 4c hair.

High level summary from the book, factual curls need more conditioner than wavy and Botticelli hair.

I am confused because I think I have fractual curls. I have been trying to figure out my hair for years. People always said it is a strange mix and behaves and looks differently depending on the length and products used. My hair definetely needs more conditioner and ranges between 3c and 4c hair.

Thanks so much.

Best,
Almond Eyes

Thanks @IDareT'sHair. I did see this but I was too tired to respond at the time. I think I first heard this phrase used by AkitaFitGirl (sp) to describe her hair. Fractal doesnt have anything to do with dry. And I believe just describes the curl itself, rather than other properties of hair. The fractal curl is small and not uniform. Some of my coils (going down the strand) get smaller, or larger, or don't even coil at all, and take on more of a step-like pattern. The pattern can be fragmented.

Last edited:
Thanks @IDareT'sHair. I did see this but I was too tired to respond at the time. I think I first heard this phrase used by AkitaFitGirl (sp) to describe her hair. Fractal doesnt have anything to do with dry. And I believe just describes the curl itself, rather than other properties of hair. The fractal curl is small and not uniform. Some of my coils (going down the strand) get smaller, or larger, or don't even coil at all, and take on more of a step-like pattern. The pattern can be fragmented.

I think that the reason why fractal curls tend to be dry is that it can be a challenge to make sure all the curls are moist.

Best,
Almond Eyes

With fractal curls if that is what I have, the curls are definitely there but I have to do a lot to keep them from frizzing. At this point though, I don't have time to play with my fine hair so protective styling until it gets longer is where I am at.

Best,
Almond Eyes

With fractal curls if that is what I have, the curls are definitely there but I have to do a lot to keep them from frizzing. At this point though, I don't have time to play with my fine hair so protective styling until it gets longer is where I am at.

Best,
Almond Eyes

The fractals aren't easy lol. I also have fine hair. I played in it all spring and summer, with wash and goes. But then I got bored. Now, I'm back protective styling with wigs (baggying 100% for 2week stretches). I took on Maximum Hydration Method last year (doing this same wig regimen), in order to hydrate my hair and control the frizz. Now my regimen is really simple clay wash, oil, gel (with protein/ moisture DC as needed). Thankfully, it's playing nice.

The fractals aren't easy lol. I also have fine hair. I played in it all spring and summer, with wash and goes. But then I got bored. Now, I'm back protective styling with wigs (baggying 100% for 2week stretches). I took on Maximum Hydration Method last year (doing this same wig regimen), in order to hydrate my hair and control the frizz. Now my regimen is really simple clay wash, oil, gel (with protein/ moisture DC as needed). Thankfully, it's playing nice.

How do you prevent the front hairline from getting worn down from the wigs. What are your tips?

Best,
Almond Eyes

How do you prevent the front hairline from getting worn down from the wigs. What are your tips?

Best,
Almond Eyes

I am experimenting on myself lol so I wouldn't say I have tips. Until September last year, I'd never worn a wig. During my first bout of wigging (6months), I wore 2 lace wigs with my hairline totally hidden under the baggy. This time round my wig cap has a slightly different construction and my front hairline is exposed. These 2 things make me a little concerned about suffering damage. I have a plastic bag, silk scarf and stocking under my wig. I'm hoping there is little to no friction. I hope to counteract any negatives with head massage. That's it really.

Thanks @IDareT'sHair.Fractal doesnt have anything to do with dry. And I believe just describes the curl itself, rather than other properties of hair. The fractal curl is small and not uniform. Some of my coils (going down the strand) get smaller, or larger, or don't even coil at all, and take on more of a step-like pattern. The pattern can be fragmented.
I definitely have fractals and agree with this. Keeping them hydrated can be a challenge.

I am experimenting on myself lol so I wouldn't say I have tips. Until September last year, I'd never worn a wig. During my first bout of wigging (6months), I wore 2 lace wigs with my hairline totally hidden under the baggy. This time round my wig cap has a slightly different construction and my front hairline is exposed. These 2 things make me a little concerned about suffering damage. I have a plastic bag, silk scarf and stocking under my wig. I'm hoping there is little to no friction. I hope to counteract any negatives with head massage. That's it really.

Thanks for the response. Does your hair get hot under there? And does it leave your hair soggy after taking the baggy, silk scarf and cap?

Best,
Almond Eyes

Thanks for the response. Does your hair get hot under there? And does it leave your hair soggy after taking the baggy, silk scarf and cap?

Best,
Almond Eyes

No worries:). Exerting a shot of energy on a hot day, I will feel the heat- I walk fast and I tend to sweat from my head) but for the most part, my tiny head doesn't suffer lol.

Anywhere the bag has covered will feel moist/damp when I take it off but my hair is not wet wet. During my wig regimen, I only take the bag off on wash day. Wig and scarf come off as soon as I get home *sings like Faith;)

Fractual curls tend to be a finer hair pattern.

The unique thing about them is that they to me should be called 'The Chameleon Curls" because they can look like 3c hair or 4c or even what people call 4z hair depending on the state and length the hair is in.

Fractual curls can look frizzy and dry or curly. Fractual curls tend to do best with finger combing.

When fractual curls as they get longer are worn up or in a bun, the curls disappear, many women can believe they have no curl pattern at all. But when they hang the curls pop with the right products.

Fractual curls need length to show the curls when it is in a short state the curls are not as obvious.

Fractual curls also require the right products that have a lot of moisture to keep the curls intact but require the protein treatments to make sure that the lightness of the curls don't get weighed down and damaged.

Best,
Almond Eyes

Back