For those who've taken an LHCF hiatis and come back

crazydaze911

hey ladies....
was just wondering, for those of you that have given LHCF a break and stopped logging on for, lets say, MONTHS, and then come back.....
why did u take a break? how do u think it affected ur hair? was it a good thing (emotionally speaking)?
Im asking not to boycott or anything but because i've just been BUMMED about my hair for so long, and yes, like many here, i am and have been obsessed with hair for as long as i can remember. i wonder sometimes if this is too much stimulation, too much focus on my hair, and if emotionally its making things worse and bumming me out further. in NYC - i've seen alot of beautiful AA heads of hair BSL and longer and i'm just like 'whens it my turn?'. yes, im impatient, yes my hair is longer than SL, but its been longer than SL since i was six - i'm ready for the next level. been trying to grow it out soooo long, since my first relaxer and cut at age 12 - thats 15 years of trying and crying. I havent even trimmed since January so its probably supposed to be even shorter than it is. just wondering if not logging on will help me think about it less or curb my obsession. and yes, i bun everyday and only look at my hair on wash days, but it still bums me out. can anyone relate and again - did taking a break help or hurt ur hair?

Well, I've taken breaks b/c truthfully all this hair mess can get boring after a while so I focus on other ways of spending my leisure.
Thing is though, I still take care of my hair even when I’m not here so it doesn’t hurt.
I agree that it is possible to get overly emotionally caught up in your hair. I wouldn’t cause myself to suffer for those reasons. I say, take a break if necessary and do what you know works for your hair in the meanwhile. It’s a slow process and you can definitely drive yourself crazy.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
hey ladies....
was just wondering, for those of you that have given LHCF a break and stopped logging on for, lets say, MONTHS, and then come back.....
why did u take a break? how do u think it affected ur hair? was it a good thing (emotionally speaking)?
Im asking not to boycott or anything but because i've just been BUMMED about my hair for so long, and yes, like many here, i am and have been obsessed with hair for as long as i can remember. i wonder sometimes if this is too much stimulation, too much focus on my hair, and if emotionally its making things worse and bumming me out further
. in NYC - i've seen alot of beautiful AA heads of hair BSL and longer and i'm just like 'whens it my turn?'. yes, im impatient, yes my hair is longer than SL, but its been longer than SL since i was six - i'm ready for the next level. been trying to grow it out soooo long, since my first relaxer and cut at age 12 - thats 15 years of trying and crying. I havent even trimmed since January so its probably supposed to be even shorter than it is. just wondering if not logging on will help me think about it less or curb my obsession. and yes, i bun everyday and only look at my hair on wash days, but it still bums me out. can anyone relate and again - did taking a break help or hurt ur hair?

first let me say that I can definitely relate to the bolded. I 've wanted longer hair as long as I could remember.

Why are you discouraged about your hair? I would love to be your length. I would wear so many styles.

I think a lot of women on here get too caught on getting BSL. The reason I dont see the hype with it is because everybody does not wear their bra the same way. I think I've seen someone your length claim BSL, because thats where her bra reached.

Forgive me if I sound rude but this is coming from a damaged barely NL struggling just to reach to SL and i've been on this board for 3 years.(I didnt take it seriously at first) I dont think you should give up on your hair goals but just remember that there are lots of women trying to get to your length.

As many women as you see wishing you had their hair, I'm sure there are just as many wishing they had yours (me included) :)

to answer your question, yes I am thinking about taking a break from the hair section.

I had to take a break from LHCF for a while. I spent way to much time obsessing over my hair and making myself feel bad. It was like watching grass grow:spinning:. Once I stepped away and applied what I learned I felt alot better. Sometimes its better to sit back and relax. Now, that I have just about reached my first set of goals Im back on the board alot more. When I feel that I am trying to much or driving myself crazy I'll take a back seat again.

hey ladies....
Im asking not to boycott or anything but because i've just been BUMMED about my hair for so long, and yes, like many here, i am and have been obsessed with hair for as long as i can remember. i wonder sometimes if this is too much stimulation, too much focus on my hair, and if emotionally its making things worse and bumming me out further. in NYC - i've seen alot of beautiful AA heads of hair BSL and longer and i'm just like 'whens it my turn?'. yes, im impatient, yes my hair is longer than SL, but its been longer than SL since i was six - i'm ready for the next level. been trying to grow it out soooo long, since my first relaxer and cut at age 12 - thats 15 years of trying and crying. I havent even trimmed since January so its probably supposed to be even shorter than it is. just wondering if not logging on will help me think about it less or curb my obsession. and yes, i bun everyday and only look at my hair on wash days, but it still bums me out. can anyone relate and again - did taking a break help or hurt ur hair?

i took a hiatus for 2 years. I left because it just got to be too much going on. I got alot of PMs with questions on a bunch of different things, and they werent simple questions...I mean questions that require a paragraph to answer. I was in school so I didnt have time anymore. And with all the updating of the fotki and taking pics and washing this and deep conditioning that....it just made me put way more focus on my hair than on my school work. So yes, my progress suffered. I went from full APL back to SL within that two year period. :nono: But i'm back and my hair is back so I'm straight...:grin:

I left LHCF for a little more than a year because I was very busy. Now I have a little more time so I am back. My hair is the same, same lenght because I was trimming all the time. But I stoped trimming to grow my hair a little longer.
Zanna

I took the summer off, I had a full-time internship and I had summer school, so I couldn't deal with all the hair stuff at that moment. My progress didn't suffer because I needed to cut a couple of inches of bleached blond hair anyway. I'm sad my hair is so short, but it's pretty healthy, it's grown even since I cut it, and I really missed my spirals, so as long as you apply all you've learned and just focus on some other things, you will wake up one day and realize your hair is thicker, longer, shinier, and beautiful.

My hair is in Braids.. and I know how to handle my hair, regi, etc.... I check in everynow and then...Grad school and lots of stuff is consuming my time.
See y'all during the holidays!

I would agree with everyone who has made a comment so far. This can be stressful and very time consuming. It seems like when I did take a break my hair started to sprout. I still don't lfrequent the hair discussion as much as before, every now then I will take a peak and see what's new. I don't follow the trends, I just do what works for me. I read the skin care and gossip forums more than anything.

When my hair is in a weave! I dont usually post in the hair section. Cuz, I'm not trying all the new products and soo forth. Plus, the hair stuff can truly get boring after a while. --But I still maintain a reggie when im not active on LHCF so its all good.

i took a hiatus for 2 years. I left because it just got to be too much going on. I got alot of PMs with questions on a bunch of different things, and they werent simple questions...I mean questions that require a paragraph to answer. I was in school so I didnt have time anymore. And with all the updating of the fotki and taking pics and washing this and deep conditioning that....it just made me put way more focus on my hair than on my school work. So yes, my progress suffered. I went from full APL back to SL within that two year period. :nono: But i'm back and my hair is back so I'm straight...:grin:

sorry to side track but your hair is gorgeous.

Well, I've taken breaks b/c truthfully all this hair mess can get boring after a while so I focus on other ways of spending my leisure.
Thing is though, I still take care of my hair even when I’m not here so it doesn’t hurt.
I agree that it is possible to get overly emotionally caught up in your hair. I wouldn’t cause myself to suffer for those reasons. I say, take a break if necessary and do what you know works for your hair in the meanwhile. It’s a slow process and you can definitely drive yourself crazy.
co-sign:grin:

i took a break because i had a lot of business to take care of and didn't have the time to log on and keep up with the boards. it also gave me the time to really put everything i learned into use. and as someone else mentioned i was a little obsessive and it was hard to really appreciate my progress.

I'm doing pretty well and i am now catching up to y'alls progress and everyone is looking good!

Lexi, you were one of the first folks who i admired on the board and missed u when you disappeared. your hair looks great!!!

The only time I've taken a break is when my hair were in braids. I was also busy with a lot of other things such as school, work, etc. Though I LOVE LHCF, it wasn't a major priority.

first let me say that I can definitely relate to the bolded. I 've wanted longer hair as long as I could remember.

Why are you discouraged about your hair? I would love to be your length. I would wear so many styles.

I think a lot of women on here get too caught on getting BSL. The reason I dont see the hype with it is because everybody does not wear their bra the same way. I think I've seen someone your length claim BSL, because thats where her bra reached.

Forgive me if I sound rude but this is coming from a damaged barely NL struggling just to reach to SL and i've been on this board for 3 years.(I didnt take it seriously at first) I dont think you should give up on your hair goals but just remember that there are lots of women trying to get to your length.

As many women as you see wishing you had their hair, I'm sure there are just as many wishing they had yours (me included) :)

to answer your question, yes I am thinking about taking a break from the hair section.

Thanks for your complements. im not much for styles b/c i'm transitioning and my hair is only the length it is b/c i refuse to trim - lol. but i know some people have shorter hair then i do, its just mine has been the same length for so long...... Im trying to be strong. thanks for the support

sorry to side track but your hair is gorgeous.

Thanks so much! :grin:

i took a break because i had a lot of business to take care of and didn't have the time to log on and keep up with the boards. it also gave me the time to really put everything i learned into use. and as someone else mentioned i was a little obsessive and it was hard to really appreciate my progress.

I'm doing pretty well and i am now catching up to y'alls progress and everyone is looking good!

Lexi, you were one of the first folks who i admired on the board and missed u when you disappeared. your hair looks great!!!

Aw, how sweet! I'm sorry I disappeared, but I needed a vacation. I'm back now! :grin:

Ive taken long periods away on and off over the years and always enjoyed doing so when needed. :yep:

my hair never suffered

every time I come back around my bank account does though :giggle:

Taking a break has never stopped my hair growth. Actually, it gives me more time to focus on my hair care regime.

Having a 'life' makes it necessary to take breaks from the 'computer' period, not just being in the forum. Being online anywhere, can truly eat up one's agenda and family time. Time is precious. :yep:

I am starting school so I think I need to take a break. I do not want to fail in my classes over LHCF:perplexed.

I took a year and change break from hairboards but I was still took care of my hair. It's just something I have always loved doing since I was a teen.

I also took a break from LHCF....I had to finish school and I was becoming too focused on my hair. I was becoming more and more confused on what not to do and what to do until I just said forget it..... LOL! Now I just keep it simple. I just stretch as long as possible without breakage use Bee mine on my edes and Vitapointe on my ends for moisture and Affirm is the relaxer my hairdressor uses, and I go to hairdressor every week or two... thats it. I haven't updated my Fotki in months but I will soon.

Back