For those who who went natural for awhile and decided to relax again...

What made you make the decision?

I've bee toying with the idea lately, but I'm afraid because I almost have PTSD from the burns I used to get on my scalp from relaxers. The reason I'm even considering it again is because I'm pretty sure more manageable hair would be great for me right now, because I'm a super busy college student.

Any thoughts on this? Relaxers are so permanent, I'm afraid to go back. :sad:

I'm relaxed after going natural twice. The last time I was natural for 15 months. I self relax, sticking to no lye relaxers that don't burn me. I'm paranoid about getting burned. I relaxed because I felt like I had to spend too much time on my hair. If you're a college student, I suggest you wear your hair in single braids that way you don't have to worry about relaxing. Or a nice half wig. Sometimes if you put your hair away, you can make a better decision.

I agree with AmiJay. When I was at university I wore braids quite a bit. If you can put braid extensions in your own hair then that could be an option.

I was natural and relaxed. Worst mistake ever. Now I am transitioning.I have gone through the transition process like 6 times in my life. My fine hair cannot take relaxers. This is it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!I cannot believe how much hair I have lost over these stupid relaxers. And I was so careful with how I took care of my hair, what a waste. I am so mad with myself.

People even told me they prefer me with natural hair.

Best,
Almond Eyes

I was natural and texlaxed. Initially, I regretted it and now I'm glad I did it. I decided to go back b/c I was spending too much time working on my hair. I felt that it would be more manageable texlaxed. Now, I can't see myself being natural unless I go back to being a heat trained natural. The only problem with that for me is that I run. *shrugs*

I was natural for five years, and have now been relaxed for the last 4-5 years. I wouldn't have done it if I hadn't messed up my hair with color, forcing me to cut it off and start over. I didn't want to have a TWA (I got too fat for that) and I don't do weave.

I'm fine with my decision now, since I've learned how to stretch my relaxers for 3 months at a time, enabling me to wear my hair in a more natural look part of the time with braid and twist outs. In all honesty, if you're actively trying to grow your hair, wearing it relaxed takes just as much time and effort as wearing it natural, even more if you're trying to avoid breakage at the line of demarcation between your natural and relaxed textures.

As for wearing braids, if you have the time and budget to get them redone between 2-week breaks every 2 months or so to avoid traction alopecia, that might be a viable option as well. Whatever you decide, just keep in mind that there is not much you can do to achieve "no effort" hair. You have to be prepared to commit at minimum 2-4 hours a week to your hair just to keep it healthy.

Good luck with whatever you decide. :yep:

I went natural for 5 years. I got bored with curly hair and started straightening again. Before I knew it, a year had passed since I wore my hair curly. It was always straight or in a bun. So I texlaxed because I was tired of spending hours to get it straight or paying the dominican salon to rip my hair out. My hair was always healthy when I relaxed as a teen and in college. So I figured I would continue to use the techniques I learned as a natural and continuue to maintain my healthy hair. I actually sufferered more setbacks trying to tame my hair while natural than I have since relaxing again. It really comes down to your preference. Both natural and relaxed take a lot of work.

I tried transitioning without big chopping for 20 months, and I just couldn't handle how long it took to detangle. I didn't want bone straight hair either, so now I texlax every three months and I love it! Best of both worlds, easy detangling but I can still rock the "natural" look!

I was natural for 4 years... Relaxed because I became frustrated and overwhelmed and currently thinking about transitioning. I don't regret my decision to relax at all.. Best thing I could have done for myself... I used no lye relaxers so no burn, and my retention was on point. I lost a lot of hair due to postpartum shedding and hair became quite thin.... I'm thinking about transitioning cos I need to focus on thickening my hair, don't want to deal with texlaxing and really bored of wearing buns... Overall do what makes you happy... No need to stress about it at all.. If you don't like it you can always go back.

I was natural 6 years and have been relaxed for all of 4 weeks :lol:. I had been toying with relaxing for a couple of years but I was too afraid to take the plunge. Although shrinkage was the biggest complaint I had with my natural hair, it was having to keep cutting my hair last year that made me throw in the towel. My first impression of being relaxed freaked me out and I was ready to run back into the loving arms of a TWA!! But the ladies in the Relaxed Thread helped me remember why I relaxed in the first place and suggested that I give it a chance. Currently I'm very happy with my relaxed and hair and plan to be relaxed for a few years. My goal is to get to HL and actually be able to experience HL hair!!! I couldn't do that as a natural. My shrinkage was just too much.

I say if your afraid that you'll regret it, just wait. Relaxer kits will still be waiting if you ever change you mind :lol:.

My decision was pure vanity. I liked straight hair, so I decided to re-relax so I can rock it as often and with-little-to-no upkeep as much I would like.

I've now grown since then and much prefer textured/stretched styles, so now I'm transitioning again. If that ever changes then back to texturized I go.

I was natural and texlaxed. Initially, I regretted it and now I'm glad I did it. I decided to go back b/c I was spending too much time working on my hair. I felt that it would be more manageable texlaxed. Now, I can't see myself being natural unless I go back to being a heat trained natural. The only problem with that for me is that I run. *shrugs*

I could've wrote this. I can't believe I'm reconsidering relaxing. Heat training won't work for me because I run 6 days a week. I can't see going back to being worried about touch-ups, but I can't keep spending the time that I do now to wash and detangle my hair. I'm not interested in bone straight hair, but I'd like more manageable hair, less shrinkage...

I tried transitioning without big chopping for 20 months, and I just couldn't handle how long it took to detangle. I didn't want bone straight hair either, so now I texlax every three months and I love it! Best of both worlds, easy detangling but I can still rock the "natural" look!
Do you have any you tube tutorials you recommend? I am thinking of going this route. So far it seems that one key is to not use a comb to work the relaxer in, and instead use your fingers.

@marta9227

What made you make the decision?

I've bee toying with the idea lately, but I'm afraid because I almost have PTSD from the burns I used to get on my scalp from relaxers. The reason I'm even considering it again is because I'm pretty sure more manageable hair would be great for me right now, because I'm a super busy college student.

Any thoughts on this? Relaxers are so permanent, I'm afraid to go back. :sad:[/QUOTE

I literally told my sisters' this morning I was going back to perm. My reason is, it is wayyyyyy too much work for me and I'm tired of the shrinkage and honestly because I'm not really creative with styling it (I wear a curly wash n'go everyday, that literally takes ALLLLLL day to dry), I feel unattractive.

Hello, I'm going to try in give some positive feedback, because I know there are a lot of different answers on here. Remember it's your decision and your hair. Just follow healthy hair practices and up on protein treatments since the disulfide bonds are broken from the relaxer. This is if you decide to get a relaxer. If anything, I would go to a trusted professional that knows what they are doing to get the relaxer done (or texlax). Remember there are a bunch of texlax and relax ladies in this forum with super long healthy hair.

On the other hand, if you decide to stay natural that is an amazing decision too. I find natural hair personal beautiful. You have to remember it is your hair and you can wear it however you want too.

Back