For those who use Shea Butter in their hair, how do u use it?

*ElleB

I've only ever used it as an ends treatment, and I put a little bit of it on the front of my hair once to smooth it.

Anyway,

The question is how do u guys use it? DO u melt it down, or what?

My shea was too hard to spread so I added a:

- 2 drops of vitamin E, one drop of each--> lavander EO, Peppermint EO and a little almond oil to round things out.

I then nuked this in the microwave for a few sec's. Now when I use my shea, the mixture melts in my hand effortlessly as opposed to before. I use my shea on wet/dry hair whenever I want hold in the moisture of my leave-ins. I don't use alot, but enough to give my hair a light coating. HTH

Last edited:
hi, ladies I mix my warmed shea butter with coconut oil, rosemary EO and I use my pomade after washing my hair once/week on my scalp and my hair after spraying my moisturizer on!
During the week i use it only on my ends if my hairstyle is "open"!:)

Last edited:
I use it after applying a leave-in and a moisturizer. It's sort of an extra moisturizer/moisture sealant. I used Oyin's whipped shea cause it's a lot easier to spread through my hands. But when I was just using unrefined shea, I would have to rub some off and then smooth it around in my hands until it had melted down. It's a lot tougher to distribute than the whipped shea, but it makes me hair feel so healthy that I can't really complain.

I use it on the ends after i wash. I make sure the ends are still damp so that it holds in the moisture from the water. I also use it if i slick my hair back into a bun :grin:

Hi :wave:
I slow melt mine down and then mix with Aloe Vera gel, evoo, surge motion lotion & vitamin e gel then whip. For a creamy mixture the shea must be melted slowly and THOROUGHLY whipped. I take a big bowl and fill it with extremely hot water. Then the bowl my shea is in, I place that in the water. As the butter melts I pour off the oil. Mix one ingredient in at a time for thorough mixing. If the mix isn't thorough, you'll get a grainy texture when you want creamy and smooth.

HTH

~op~

I just put some in my palms and rub them together until it melts. Then I put it in my hair while it's still wet. This is basically how I use all my butters, though some do not require melting in that way.

I take a dab and rub it with my hands until it gets smooth. Then I smooth down my hairline because that's the coarsest and driest part of my hair. I do this several times a week. It helps my hairline a lot.

Last edited:
I melt mine in the microwave until it's in liquid form and then I apply it all over. I LOVE shea butter, it keeps my hair super moisturized and really helps me stretch.

Be careful about how liberally you apply it though. It's pretty heavy and can weigh your hair down.

Back