For Those Who Use Butters And Heavy Oils

pookaloo83

Is cowashing enough to get it out your hair on wash day? Currently I wash with shampoo weekly But would like to cowash more but I use butters and don't know if it's enough to get rid of buildup. I use Vo5.

Sent from my iPhone 4s

Last edited:
i don't co-wash but i think co-washing with warm-moderately hot water should be enough to get the products off.

ETA: i'm assuming you're not going for the squeaky clean feeling

I use lots of butters/oils. I make sure I rinse my hair well in warm/hot water first to help remove the products then I cowash 2x. My hair feels clean. I shampoo 2x (bi-weekly) a month to remove any buildup.

My Friend said:
Have you gotten good results poo'g everyday? You poo and then after poo you add butters and heavy oils?

I didn't mean to write daily I meant weekly. Lol

Sent from my iPhone 4s

I use oils and semi heavy butters, I find that rinsing my hair thoroughly and ONLY (well trying) applying the conditioner to the length of my hair is key.

Also, V05 sits on my hair. I can rinse and rinse and that stuff doesn't leave my strands. Tressemme Naturals is my ish though.

I use shea butter and doing a co-wash will not get rid of it. The length of my hair feels ok, but I find the roots and scalp collect build up during the wash. I use the blue Herbal Essences.
I only apply shea butter once after my wash and then once again sometime in the middle of the week when it gets dry so imo it's not a lot. But doing a cowash still won't get rid.

AHeadOfCoils said:
I use oils and semi heavy butters, I find that rinsing my hair thoroughly and ONLY (well trying) applying the conditioner to the length of my hair is key.

Also, V05 sits on my hair. I can rinse and rinse and that stuff doesn't leave my strands. Tressemme Naturals is my ish though.

I'll buy the tressemme today. I've heard good things about it. Vo5 sits on my hair too.

Sent from my iPhone 4s

Cowashing can prolong a shampoo for a few days but eventually I need to shampoo to get it all out
ETA I agree it depends on the conditioner. HE left buildup in my hair. I got some V05 for taking out my braids and found it left a film in my hair. Aussie moist left my hair super soft but compared to trader joe nourish spa I find it leaves a bit of build up. Trader Joe nourish spa is my all time favorite condish to cowash with, leaves my hair feeling super soft and I don't feel like it leaves build up

Last edited:
melissa-bee said:
I use shea butter and doing a co-wash will not get rid of it. The length of my hair feels ok, but I find the roots and scalp collect build up during the wash. I use the blue Herbal Essences.
I only apply shea butter once after my wash and then once again sometime in the middle of the week when it gets dry so imo it's not a lot. But doing a cowash still won't get rid.

melissa-bee my length will be great too, but I can see a white build up on my scalp. I use qhemets twist butter right after a wash. Not close to my roots though. :ohwell: I may have to stick to just what I was doing. I also add the butter one more time midweek like you.

Sent from my iPhone 4s

I'm not heavy handed with oils and butters but I use them so that's why I don't do the conditioner wash thing. The test is not just about the strands. Run a nail gently over a small section of your scalp after you rinse. If you scrap up residue then you need shampoo.

I cant use the heavy stuff they just seem to sit on top of my hair and chill :lol: I find that the whipped butters and thinner oils absorb better, are easy to distrubute throughout my hair, and rinse out easily.

melissa-bee my length will be great too, but I can see a white build up on my scalp. I use qhemets twist butter right after a wash. Not close to my roots though. :ohwell: I may have to stick to just what I was doing. I also add the butter one more time midweek like you.

Sent from my iPhone 4s

That's what I see too, and on about an inch of my roots.
When that happens I did an ACV rinse after to try and get the residue on my scalp and it worked ok. However, I'd just rather not do it. Co wash is supposed to be quick and easy as well as refreshing. So I can't be bothered to do co wash then acv rinse. I may as well do a shampoo and full condition.

@pookaloo83

I am extremely heavy-handed with Butters & Oils and I use it twice a day (primarily because I am under a Wig).

Usually, I don't have any problem removing product with the Conditioners that I use to cowash with.

Sometimes, I feel the need to use a Cleansing Conditioner (but never a 'Poo).

Some of the ones I use/used are:

Darcy's Botanicals Daily Cleansing Creme
As I Am Naturally's Coconut Cowash or ASIAN Cleansing Pudding
Bear Fruit Hair's Cleansing Conditioner
Claudie Jojoba Cleansing
Naturelle Grow's Herbal Cleansing Conditioner
Curl Junkie Daily Fix Cleansing

@pookaloo83

I am extremely heavy-handed with Butters & Oils and I use it twice a day (primarily because I am under a Wig).

Usually, I don't have any problem removing product with the Conditioners that I use to cowash with.

Sometimes, I feel the need to use a Cleansing Conditioner (but never a 'Poo).

Some of the ones I use/used are:

Darcy's Botanicals Daily Cleansing Creme
As I Am Naturally's Coconut Cowash or ASIAN Cleansing Pudding
Bear Fruit Hair's Cleansing Conditioner
Claudie Jojoba Cleansing
Naturelle Grow's Herbal Cleansing Conditioner
Curl Junkie Daily Fix Cleansing

Thank you!!

i have a 2part answer:

1. V05 doesn't have cones, but for anyone else reading this using a coney condish, i would def clarify monthly, at least. if you have a more natural conditioner with less chemically ingredients i would still advise a monthly clarifier but you could play around to see if 4-6wks or 6-8wks is better for you. you know you need to clarify if your hair remains dry feeling after your regular moisturizing or if your texture looks less lush/curly and of course if your hair looks dull and your scalp has build up

2. i use WEN and QB products exclusively now. and if i use a butter it's a single ingredient butter that has been whipped. but even though WEN is meant to be used as a cleanser and QB has great ingredients, i still get buildup. I clarify w/ mudwash monthly and there is definitely a positive difference in my hair after clarifying.

I use butters and oils, and I'm pretty heavy handed with the product. Currently I cowash with Deva Curl No Poo, and Wen. I'll do my first wash with the DCNP, and that leaves my hair squeaky clean...but not stripped. I'll then do a 2nd wash/condition/detangle with the Wen. Works like magic, and no build up. I cowash 1-2x's a week.

I use butters and oils, and I'm pretty heavy handed with the product. Currently I cowash with Deva Curl No Poo, and Wen. I'll do my first wash with the DCNP, and that leaves my hair squeaky clean...but not stripped. I'll then do a 2nd wash/condition/detangle with the Wen. Works like magic, and no build up. I cowash 1-2x's a week.

MrsJaiDiva

This is on my List to try. chebaby loves this too and gives it high marks.

I said whenever AveYou has a Sale, I'd get a liter:drunk:

pookaloo83 this one is also suppose to be very good as far as Cleansing Conditioners go.

And I also forgot to mention: Silk Dreams "Whip my Hair".

A poster sent me a sample (because I love Cleansing Conditioners) and this one is also good. The only 'con' is that it is only 8 ounces and I prefer 16.

And I can't remember if I listed Hairveda's Amala Cleanse.:yep:

@MrsJaiDiva

This is on my List to try. @chebaby loves this too and gives it high marks.

I said whenever AveYou has a Sale, I'd get a liter:drunk:

@pookaloo83 this one is also suppose to be very good as far as Cleansing Conditioners go.

And I also forgot to mention: Silk Dreams "Whip my Hair".

A poster sent me a sample (because I love Cleansing Conditioners) and this one is also good. The only 'con' is that it is only 8 ounces and I prefer 16.

And I can't remember if I listed Hairveda's Amala Cleanse.:yep:
i love no poo:lick: i love it much better than cj daily fix and daily fix is good too so......
i dont use heavy butters and oils like i used to, i mean im using castor oil now but i co wash every other day and shampoo like 2x a week. so my hair is wet pretty often. even when i go a week without washing my hair or co washing i only moisturize once.

I use this (diluted) plus cowashing to clear my scalp of everything and start fresh:

Home-Health-Hairever-Cleansing-Scalp-Treatment-318858570249.jpg

http://www.vitacost.com/Home-Health-Hairever-Cleansing-Scalp-Treatment#

I love cowashing but I feel like I need a good old fashioned shampoo with sulfates to get my hair clean. I wash with shampoo once a week and I cowash at least twice a week.

I use grease (petroleum jelly) to seal and co-washing with Trader Joe's Tingle Treat Conditioner keeps my both my scalp and hair clean.

Back