For those who press their hair

locabouthair

I have heard someone say that while they were pressing their hair consistently for a long period of time the length of their hair remained the same and after they started wearing their hair natural their hair grew longer . I am thinking maybe this is why I haven't been retaining any length because I know I get new growth when my hair is pressed. Has anyone been experiencing this?

your hair will still grow...it just stays the same length if it breaks off at the ends.

how often are you pressing your hair? Too much heat usage and using the source of heat improperly can cause heat damage.

@ loc : from my experience what you stated is true. when i used to press my hair it did grow but no length was retained because i would flat iron my hair and then comb it down everyday from a wrap... this caused alot of breakage and shedding. when i used to wear my hair natural it grew the same but retained more length because i only combed it once, which was on wash days... so that cut down on shedding and breaking.

HTH :)

My hair grew better when I started wearing it natural more than straightened.

I'm sure the problem was that my ends had accumulated so much damage from the heat and prior relaxers and I was not protecting or conditioning like I should. My ends became brittle and broke off.

Now when I straighten, I make sure I do a protein treatment before pressing and another before going back to natural. I also treat my ends with Aubrey GPB while my hair is straight. The ends will crinkle slightly but I make that less noticeable by waving (via a big huge pin curl), pinning up, or doing a braidout on the rest of my hair.

vangrey said:
@ loc : from my experience what you stated is true. when i used to press my hair it did grow but no length was retained because i would flat iron my hair and then comb it down everyday from a wrap... this caused alot of breakage and shedding. when i used to wear my hair natural it grew the same but retained more length because i only combed it once, which was on wash days... so that cut down on shedding and breaking.

HTH :)
its funny that you mention this...because i started to get very worried about my hair when i flat ironed it recently! i was like, why is it that every time i comb it even just a little, hair comes out!!!! and then i realized, thta when its natural i come it once a week....sometimes once in two weeks so i dont have to see that daily shedding! it really freaked me out....but straight hair demands combing so i guess theres no way around it. :ohwell:

Back