For those who just can't rollerset....

jazzyfunknastee

For those who just can\'t rollerset....

Can we start a support group for us flunkies who try and try and just cannot rollerset worth a dang? (I know Pumpkin's one of them. Yes girl I'm calling you out. I ain't going down alone!
laugh.gif
) I think this is one of the many things I can't do (along with driving, riding a bike and flaring my nostrils). I've tried it with my hair damp, wet and plain old soaking, dripping like a Jheri Curl and cannot under no circumstances can I get the rollers to stay tight or get the hair not to fall off the sides. I think I'll just have to flatiron and use the curling iron if I want something that at least looks like a hairstyle.

*stands up* My name is Jazzy and I can't rollerset. I'm so ashamed!
bawling.gif

Re: For those who just can\'t rollerset....

Not to hijack the thread but That is ssssooo true Allandra, when i first started doing rollersets they looked horrible and somtimes they still look bad, but not as bad as when I first started, I have graduated and can actually roll my hair using all clips instead of the covers now.

I will still stand up and say I am not that great at doing rollersets but it is getting better for me
trampoline.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Not to hijack the thread but That is ssssooo true Allandra, when i first started doing rollersets they looked horrible and somtimes they still look bad, but not as bad as when I first started, I have graduated and can actually roll my hair using all clips instead of the covers now.

I will still stand up and say I am not that great at doing rollersets but it is getting better for me
trampoline.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with you and Allandra...practice...
I consider myself a good rollersetter...but I found it was alot easier with the snap on tops. Problem is the largest rollers do not come with snap on tops. So I've been practicing with the silver clips...and I'm better at it and hope to one day be able to do away with the tops.

Oh heck, I guess I will have to practice. I'm just no good at it!
laugh.gif

I wish I could do a training session... LOL!

I would if we were all close enough...like a little rollerset tutoring seesion.
laugh.gif

Practice does help tho guys....I was terrible when I started and I was rollersetting a short do!
shocked.gif
Now I can rollerset my whole head in 10 minutes, with no mirror, while eating beans and rice, and watching Frazier...

You guys'll get it. Trust me. Just keep at it....

I think my problem is that my hair is not straightened enough to get a perm. I currently use mild perms on my new growth (because of scalp issues) 4a hair, which I only leave on about 10-13 minutes. So, althought I'm pleased with the results, if I tried to do a rollerset three weeks into the perm, my hair doesn't get the look I'm hoping for. This goes ditto for wrapping my hair while wet, actually never could, and my sister who "does" hair tells me that my hair is too thick and not relaxed enough to do a wrap. Oh, well!

my name is sylvia and i'm haircare incompetant...
roller sets:
think.gif
no
wrapping:
think.gif
no
braidouts:
think.gif
no
air drying: sigh...
nuts.gif
no...
daily washing:
think.gif
no
protein treatments:
think.gif
no
corn rowing:
think.gif
no
hot curling:
think.gif
no
and the list goes on..... and on... and on...
frown.gif

[ QUOTE ]
my name is sylvia and i'm haircare incompetant...
roller sets:
think.gif
no
wrapping:
think.gif
no
braidouts:
think.gif
no
air drying: sigh...
nuts.gif
no...
daily washing:
think.gif
no
protein treatments:
think.gif
no
corn rowing:
think.gif
no
hot curling:
think.gif
no
and the list goes on..... and on... and on...
frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
What do you do with your hair after you shampoo and condition it?

I'm with you. I do not have any skills in this area. I can flat iron/blowdry with the best of them, but I can rollerset to save my soul. My Dominican friend moved out of state some I'm SOL.

I cannot rollerset if my life depended on it, Ive been trying for a long time and I am just going to have to accept that there are certain things that i just cant get.Believe me i have been trying and i dont get any better each time that i try. I admire those of u who can do a good rollerset.
frown.gif
frown.gif

I can't blowdry. It always comes out a poofy and ashy looking.

[ QUOTE ]
I can't blowdry. It always comes out a poofy and ashy looking.

[/ QUOTE ]

The trick for me is to dry my hair under a hooded dryer and then blowdry. If I blowdry when my hair is wet then it is Chaka-Khan like. L'oreal smooth intense serum helps too.

Maybe someone (experienced) can start a web-based roller setting training session lol.

[ QUOTE ]
I cannot rollerset if my life depended on it, Ive been trying for a long time and I am just going to have to accept that there are certain things that i just cant get.Believe me i have been trying and i dont get any better each time that i try. I admire those of u who can do a good rollerset.
frown.gif
frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

EXACTLY! See Britt we here *doing the finger thing* I've had all lenghts of hair and I've been trying since I was an itty bitty girl because as Tracy can tell you, all Latinas are born with a set of rollers in their hands. Unfortunately I think some gangsta baby jacked me for mine in the hospital nursery.

*sighs* *turns on her flat iron* Better get to straightening...

Jazzy,

I too am not skilled in the art of rollersetting.
frown.gif
I have been trying to hide my shame from the rest of the world. But since this is an anonymous(sp) forum (where nobody knows my true identity) I feel I can shout it from the rooftops without any people poking fun at me
poke.gif
I am now officially a member of the amatuer roller setting crew...

Candycane

I tried that. All the hairdressers that I've ever been to did that. It will start out great. It will be so shiny and well-behaved when I get out from under the dryer. Once I turn that hand-held on, it gets all this air in it. Way too much volume. It will still have a sheen, but it won't have the smooth shine that it did before. Even when I let the roller sets air dry, they come out better.

allandra: lol usually i'll do my little funky looking braidout and just leave it at that. everyday is a trial in error though. but... i just have to believe there's hope for people like me somewhere out there.

My name is Shawn and I can't roller set!
I also dont know how to wrap
I also dont know how to curl and style my own hair!

[ QUOTE ]
allandra: lol usually i'll do my little funky looking braidout and just leave it at that. everyday is a trial in error though. but... i just have to believe there's hope for people like me somewhere out there.

[/ QUOTE ]
Of course there's hope for you.
smile.gif
Hopefully, you'll be able to pick up some good ole tips from this wonderful hair care board.
smile.gif

I am MissB and I cannot rollerset or wrap either. I have a roller set done at the salon every 2 weeks. In between, I either air dry or sit under the dryer and blow dry for 5 minutes to get the moisture out of my hair. I can't stand my Gold N Hot dryer. When I replace this one, I will attempt to roller set again.

I could do a mean dry roller set back in the day. I just grabbed a hunk of hair and rolled it up. But this was the era of "big hair". I never got a sleek, smooth look with rollers.
frown.gif
And forget about a wet set!

I am trying to learn to cornrow and flat twist. I got a nappy headed mannequin from Sally's. I call her Miss Celie because she looks just that pitiful! The poor thing has clumps of hair that I just gave up trying to detangle after my twistout attempt. And a burned patch from practicing "Mr. John's" pressing technique. Thank goodness I don't have kids!
rofl.gif

I definitely need a couple of rollersetting training sessions......
trampoline.gif
trampoline.gif
trampoline.gif

SherryLove35
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I definitely need a couple of rollersetting training sessions......
trampoline.gif
trampoline.gif
trampoline.gif

Sherry, do u go to the hairdresser to get a rollerset weekly ?

SherryLove35
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I call her Miss Celie because she looks just that pitiful! The poor thing has clumps of hair that I just gave up trying to detangle after my twistout attempt. And a burned patch from practicing "Mr. John's" pressing technique. Thank goodness I don't have kids!

[/ QUOTE ]

Sassy you are SICK!!! I love that Miss Celie reference.

Candycane
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

My name is karezone and I can't style my own hair very well. I have learned to do a pretty decent roller set although The roots are never straight. I do my entire head with clips and it takes me about 15-20 minutes. I started learning in January and the first time I did it it took me 1 hour to get all the rollers in. I have also mastered the braid out. Now I want to learn how to do a curly set. The last time I tried I got frizz. I want to use perm rods or straws or something. I want riglets around my head, I also can't do flat twists or two strand flat twists.

My name is Asha and I cannot rollerset. I've tried (okay only three times) and it never turns out. I'm scared to try again because everytime I do it I feel that I end up damaging my hair because I am not doing it properly. I can wrap, not perfect but it works until about 5 weeks past relaxer, then I just have to wear curly styles until my touch up.

Back