For those at home relaxers!?!?!

Drea84

It's been a while since my last at home relaxer so I was just looking for tips.....any tips!?!?
Well I use motions lye relaxer (or which ever one you don't have to mix)....any suggestions and/or regimes are welcomed /images/graemlins/confused.gif

I like Elastica QP (sorry if I spelled it wrong) and I've only heard great things about REVLON, my cousin uses it and she always has great looking hair.

Base your scalp well. I liked Pro Styl (why are 'our' products always mispelled?) Sensitive Scalp Pre-Creme.

Apply a heavy conditioner to your previously relaxed hair to avoid damage from accidental overlapping. I used one of the All Ways greases until I discovered this forum and started using Burt's Bees Avocado Butter.

Make sure you can see your entire head. You don't want to waste time adjusting mirrors.

Be fast! 15-20 minutes and you should be finished. (This was the hardest part for me!)

Give yourself an intensive protein treatment afterwards. I used ApHogee Damaged Hair Treatment.

Hi Drea84,

Have someone apply the relaxer for you if possible.
Base your scalp well!
Watch the time closely!
Make sure you use a neutralizing shampoo!!
Apply a reconstructor for 5-10 minutes, Nexxus Keraphix is great as is Aphogee treatment for damaged hair, rinse, then deep condition for 15-25 minutes.
And remember to moisturize your hair as much as you can.

Hope this helps. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Here's some extra tips I learned since I've been on the forums. I will be doing these if I ever relax again. Base your scalp really, really well...every square inch of it. Apply gobs of a heavy conditioner to the length of the previously relaxed hair. Start rinsing 1-2 minutes before the timer goes off to avoid overprocessing. Shampoo twice, do an ACV rinse to help nuetralize and remove residual of the relaxer. Shampoo 2-3 more time than do another light ACV rinse before conditioning. I know it seems like being overly cautious...but I believe in being safe rather than sorry. I wish I knew then(when I was relaxed) what I know now. Oh yea...I also agree you should have someone you trust help you.

i am thinking of basing my scalp with blue magic and putting either doo gro growth repair conditioner or deep down conditioer by doo gro. are these sufficient?

Hi Everyone and thanks for the tips, I was wondering about applying conditioner after rinsing out the relaxer before neutralizing it.

And then after neutralizing if I could continue to treat my hair as if it was a normal wash and set, including a deep conditioner?

Thanks again! /images/graemlins/grin.gif
<<< BUMP>>>

Back