For the natural 4a/4b ladies who wear extensions..

GeminiQueen

I'm thinking about getting some human hair extensions, and I was wondering if anyone has gotten these without straightening their hair first, or do you think it would be better to straighten? Thanks in advance.

By the way, I'm loving the vibe in this forum.
smile.gif

I wore extensions for two years. Hairlocs. It depends on what type of extensions you're getting. With Hairlocs it was better to straighten first. I thought about trying it without straightening but never got around to it. By that time I'd decided to start transitioning....

I think it would be better to wait on straightening, your hair might be too fragile to put in extensions if you had just straightened it...are you talking about a weave though? I guess it depends on the style and if any of your hair is going to show though. If not, I wouldn't straighten it.

Thanks for the replies Laginappe and Bettydavis. Sorry I didn't specify, but I am talking about individual braid extensions.

You don't have to have your hair straightened in order to get individiuals, some stylists prefer it, but my thing is, if they can't handle my hair in it's natural state than they can't braid and or style my hair. A good stylist should know how to handle all textures of hair.

Can i ask what would be the purpose of staightening the hair first? wouldn't it be harder to grip if your is is straightened? Are you talking about blowdrying or pressing? If it relaxing to braid, that doesn't make sense yo me
confused.gif

I wear human hair individual braid extensions and never straighten my hair before wearing them. I see no need to, and as ChocolateCutee pointed out, that'd only make your hair more slippery meaning the extensions would be more likely slide out. I am assuming you are considering straightening so the hair matches the extension texture...which is somewhat straight. But if you find a good braider, the difference in the textures won't matter or stick out like a sore thumb. What's more, you've got to remember that you will get to wash your hair sooner or later and all the straightening you did beforehand will be undone. This may make your braids look a lot worse than they would have if you'd started off with your hair in its natural state.

Some stylists prefer to straighten coz it's easier to comb and part the hair, but I personally would try to find one who doesn't need to; someone skilled in doing natural hair.
smirk.gif
After all, the less heat one puts one's hair, the better.

I didn't strighting my hair before getting it braided. I live in NC and with all the humidity it wouldn't have mattered...it's still gonna curl back up.

It's really not that noticable. just make sure you pick hair as close to your own color as possible.

CarolinaAfro, I too live in NC and I was wondering what you did to keep your scalp clean, and you're hair well moisturized while you had it braided. I'm relaxed, but I want my hair to be in the best condition possible when I take these out. I appreciate any tips. Peace

Thanks ladies! I guess I'll just stretch my hair by putting it in plaits the night before rather than straighten with a flat iron.

Back