For the ladies who had questions about twistouts (pics included)

Kneechay

As I continued on my natural journey, I've learned lots of new styles that can help me along while my hair was getting thicker and a little more unruly. I'd like to share a style that I know can be cute and be worn often in place of using heat. Recently, I've been checking the forum and lots of ladies have had questions about braidouts or twistouts, and I want to show some pics and explain how to do them and the results.

You'll need 1 or 2 packs of perm rods and some bobby pins

1.) I have a spray bottle I filled with some suave coconut conditioner, a tablespoon of coconut oil, and a cup of water. I also have on the side, Aceite 3, (it's a mix of castor oil, sweet almond oil, and olive oil), but you can use whatever oil you like.

2.) You can part your hair for some bangs or a bit in the middle, depending on how you want to style the hair. I alternate between a side part and a middle part.

3.) The parts dont have to be crisp and neat, just part your hair with a comb or your hands in small sections, spray one or two spritz of the mixture onto the section and flat twist your hair to your scalp. (The smaller the sections, the curlier the hair will look) At the end of the flat twist all the way at the ends, dab some of the oil on the ends and roll from the bottom with the perm rod. I twist high enough so my ends won't drag against my shoulders

4.) Use the bobby pins and pin the bottoms of the flat twists out where the twist stops touching your scalp. Wrap with a silk scarf and cover with a silk cap for overnight. If you just washed your hair, just sit under the dryer until dry.

The good thing about this is that it can last a whole week and gets even bigger for a more natural and fuller look. The mixture and the oiled tips are to keep away dry ends and ensure a softer texture. Naturals, this is a great style. You can redo the twists at night before bed to make the style last longer. It takes about 10 minutes, can be dressed up or casually.

Last edited:
Great flat-twist out!!! When my hair was longer I did these often, it's a great protective style. You did a fantastic job!

Thanks for the instructions. Your twistout looks great. I can never get mine to look right for some reason.

^^^^^ mine either they always look busted unless its individual twists rather than flat twists.

I love this!! I need to learn how to flat twist stat because I always wanted to try a flat twist out.

very pretty, I usually do this often but not with the perm rods, im try it with the rods next time. thanks for posting..

Thank you so much for this! I'm putting perm rods on my list of things to buy at the end of the month (gotta love the "buy nothing" challenge!). I hope my hair is long enough for this to look cute, lol!

Your hair is awesome. I'm practicing daily on how to do flat twists. My hair is still too short at the nape to hold a complete style.:ohwell:

Your hair is really pretty! I'm going to have to try the flat twist, too. Thanks for the instructions.

Great tutorial! Thanks so much - I am going to try this soon.

I need more protective styles

Back