For the ATL peeps...

pucelle

So after struggling with my hair routine when I moved from the DC metro to Rochester, NY fall. I now have to do it all over again here in Atlanta. I moved here 7 weeks ago and since I knew I wasn't going to have much time, I put my hair in extensions the same day I moved down. Now it's time for me to take them out but I'm still now sure about how things are down here. I haven't seen many naturals when I've been out and about. Are there a lot of natural salons here? I'm told this heat we're experiencing isn't normal but that August is usually the hottest month & that it stays in the 90s through the end of September/early October. How do you counteract environmental issue like smog? For people who moved here from the north, what changes did you have to make to your routine to make your hair happy? It seems to stay hot and humid/muggy well into the evening. In the winter is it a wet cold? I new it was hot here but wow, my Vatika has been a liquid as has my coconut oil. In Rochester it was solid as a rock and in DC it was "soft". I was able to put out some other solid butters outside and had them liquid after a couple days. I don't think I need to use a heat cap if I cover and go outside for a couple of hours (if I can last that long) Anyhow, I appreciate any info and/or lessons learned.

Oh it is ALOT of naturals here in ATL. Actually since I moved here( sorry I moved here from Florida not up north. Florida it is hot and humid also but to me the heat and humidity is different here then Florida), but I started my natural journey in Atlanta because of all the naturals i met and that were my friends. And yes their are plenty of Natural hair salons here.

Too Groovy, Salon Bapiste, Tag Concepts just to name some.

I wear my hair mostly straight and pressed and also have done the weave thing. But I'm just getting back into my routine of pressing again after a weave setback.

I go to Tag Concepts and love them. You can also do a search in the Salon area for Atlanta or ATL and people who live here have given names of other Salons.

I started at Too Groovy and then my stylist left and I followed her...I will be glad to PM you the info if you shoot me a private message!

Where in the Atlanta area are you because one of LHCF members dontspeakdefeat has a home salon and she does a wonderful job. She is my stylist and she believes in doing what is best for you and your hair and your hair goals. I used to go to Too Groovy. I didn't have a particular stylist. They all did a great job but they didn't really listen to me when i told them what my goals were and that kinda turned me off.

Just my 2 cents.

There are many natural salons here in the Atlanta area. I do hair as well and my specialty is natural hair. Just about everyone in my family is natural. Like others said Too Groovy is a popular one. I'm still in school but my salon charges $30 to for a wash and flat iron. Deep conditions are $10 and we use Redken and Mizani products. If you click on my youtube link below... I have a video of me pressing my cousins natural hair for a reference. Welcome to Atlanta!!!!

Back