For SILKY and SMOOTH ENDS...

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
For silky and smooth ends, what do u do? what products and hair appliances are needed? I want to know how to achieve silky and smooth ends WITHOUT having to do a rollerset. I've seen several albums of pics with dominican blowouts and the hair and ends look fabulous! What all do I need to do to my hair for that look? My Pantene R&N Moisturizer and/or my Silk Elements Glossing Polish works for my hair but not my ends. My hair is colored-treated, relaxed, and I have 6 weeks of new growth... Any suggestions???
look.gif

vaseline bun. coat the ends of my hair with vaseline and make a bun tucking my ends at night, then take the bun down in the morning. Makes my ends soft and nice. Other forum members use this same method so maybe they can give you more feedback.-- jainygirl

[ QUOTE ]
jainygirl said:
vaseline bun. coat the ends of my hair with vaseline and make a bun tucking my ends at night, then take the bun down in the morning. Makes my ends soft and nice. Other forum members use this same method so maybe they can give you more feedback.-- jainygirl

[/ QUOTE ]

I've tried this twice before, and both times, it made my hair all sticky and dingy looking.
ohwell.gif

A wash and set with a good leave in, maybe Salerm 21 or LUST. Afterwards wrap your hair with a light moisturizer and some serum, voila, silky full bouncy hair.

[ QUOTE ]
Britt said:
A wash and set with a good leave in, maybe Salerm 21 or LUST. Afterwards wrap your hair with a light moisturizer and some serum, voila, silky full bouncy hair.

[/ QUOTE ]

I did this on Saturday and my hair was full and bouncy. I wrapped it Saturday night and after taking it down, it was a dry frizzy mess. I have a lotta new growth so my full and bouncy look only lasted one day.
ohwell.gif

I know that you said that you didn't want to rollerset so i can tell you what i do.

after washing my hair with the usual subjects, I put some homemade conditioner mix in my hair. Then i air-dry it in a ponytail *bun* secured with a satin scrunci for a couple of hours, then let it roam free for a couple of hours.

Our former FOTM, Lindy, had great pics of air-dried, sleek hair. please PM her for help.

[ QUOTE ]
anky said:
I know that you said that you didn't want to rollerset so i can tell you what i do.

after washing my hair with the usual subjects, I put some homemade conditioner mix in my hair. Then i air-dry it in a ponytail *bun* secured with a satin scrunci for a couple of hours, then let it roam free for a couple of hours.

Our former FOTM, Lindy, had great pics of air-dried, sleek hair. please PM her for help.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've done Lindy's method before. Since Im busy most of the week (working 8hrs in the morning then classes 7-9 on M-T-W-T-F) I do not feel like airdrying my hair as much. I do not have time now.
ohwell.gif

i think leaving your hair alone as much as possible is the best thing for you to do. i sacrificed wearing my hair straight for months and wore wet buns and other crazy styles to prevent me from styling and combing so much. and I know you said that the bun was out of the question-- what about using a claw for updos... anything to keep your hands out of your hair.

[ QUOTE ]
anky said:
i think leaving your hair alone as much as possible is the best thing for you to do. i sacrificed wearing my hair straight for months and wore wet buns and other crazy styles to prevent me from styling and combing so much. and I know you said that the bun was out of the question-- what about using a claw for updos... anything to keep your hands out of your hair.

[/ QUOTE ]

my hair doesnt look right in updos, thats why i wear it straight or down...
ohwell.gif
my hair needs to be longer for updos and buns. and i dont like fake hair...so that's why I pose a question...

You don't have to do a full rollerset. You can just make some plaits, wet and moisterize the ends, and then put rollers on the ends.

[ QUOTE ]
blue_flower said:
You don't have to do a full rollerset. You can just make some plaits, wet and moisterize the ends, and then put rollers on the ends.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks...I may try this one....
cool.gif
cool.gif

[ QUOTE ]
blue_flower said:

[/ QUOTE ]

similar to a braid out? If so, my hair doesnt look right like that...my hair isnt long enough...
frown.gif

Jessica you're sooooooooooooo darn difficult!!!
whyme.gif
kiss.gif
....just kidding. When I actually cared about wearing my hair down and it was close to touch up time, I would wash my hair and while it was still fairly wet, put an oil based moisturizer in it, something kind of thick and wrap my hair. It took alot of combing for me to get it all laying down, but with patience you wont do too much damage. Anyhow, I would wrap it and tie my scarf on tight and let it dry overnight. I didn't unwrap it until it was dry and I didnt add anything else to it until the next day maybe because the thick cream kept it moisturized and soft. My hair is EXTRA thick so you may not be able to use something really thick but you get the idea I hope....Anyhow, as long as I didnt put product on it unnecessarily and it wasn't too humid, my hair had that sleek look for about a week...This is before I became a lurker, so with all the other good tips you get, this might work for you, If not, you can always CO wash later

[ QUOTE ]
CheerBear said:
Jessica you're sooooooooooooo darn difficult!!!
whyme.gif
kiss.gif
....just kidding. When I actually cared about wearing my hair down and it was close to touch up time, I would wash my hair and while it was still fairly wet, put an oil based moisturizer in it, something kind of thick and wrap my hair. It took alot of combing for me to get it all laying down, but with patience you wont do too much damage. Anyhow, I would wrap it and tie my scarf on tight and let it dry overnight. I didn't unwrap it until it was dry and I didnt add anything else to it until the next day maybe because the thick cream kept it moisturized and soft. My hair is EXTRA thick so you may not be able to use something really thick but you get the idea I hope....Anyhow, as long as I didnt put product on it unnecessarily and it wasn't too humid, my hair had that sleek look for about a week...This is before I became a lurker, so with all the other good tips you get, this might work for you, If not, you can always CO wash later

[/ QUOTE ]

smile.gif
thanks 4 your response...
...so do u apply your moisturizer while your hair is wet or damp? do u wrap your hair while it's wet, damp, or dry? I have Pantene R&N daily oil moisturizer. I'm sure wrapping works for u but my hair is thin and wrapping isnt very good for thin hair (Sorry to be SOOO difficult again!
laugh.gif
). But since my hair is thin, I could use less moisturizer. Anyways, I do plan on doing more conditioner washes since my hair is color-treated (maybe every 3 days).
wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Poohbear said:
[ QUOTE ]
Britt said:

[/ QUOTE ]

I did this on Saturday and my hair was full and bouncy. I wrapped it Saturday night and after taking it down, it was a dry frizzy mess. I have a lotta new growth so my full and bouncy look only lasted one day.
ohwell.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
When you wrap it overnight...you must moisturize then ends...I use a little leave-in(very little..so it's not wet...just moistend...) followed by a serum and or some oil...then smooth it through all layers the who way around. (I also use a large roller in the crown...or that area gets frizzy for me). Tie it down with a hair net. All the ladies gave you good suggestions...and what works for them. You may just need to experiment until you find something that works for you. When you do... don't forget to share.
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
sweetcocoa said:
[ QUOTE ]
poohbear said:
ohwell.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
When you wrap it overnight...you must moisturize then ends...I use a little leave-in(very little..so it's not wet...just moistend...) followed by a serum and or some oil...then smooth it through all layers the who way around. (I also use a large roller in the crown...or that area gets frizzy for me). Tie it down with a hair net. All the ladies gave you good suggestions...and what works for them. You may just need to experiment until you find something that works for you. When you do... don't forget to share.
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

thanks 4 your advice but i think im going to be difficult again...I tried moisturizing my ends and it didnt work. When i unwrapped my hair, my hair looked poofy near the roots and thin near the ends. (It looked like an afro with strings hanging on the end!
laugh.gif
) Like I said, it looked nice for one day, but after wrapping and unwrapping, my ends lose fullness and bounce.
ohwell.gif
Profectiv Roothealth helps with easy combing and moisturizing my roots but not with calming down the volume. I like the volume but it doesn't look right when your ends dont have that volume.
frown.gif
But next time, I will try using the leave-in on my ends and take everyone else's advice into consideration as well.
wink.gif

Back