? for Relaxed Ladies (how many sections?)

Nice

Hey Ladies,

I don't know if any of you remember but, I have been suffering from breakage in the middle of hair for almost a decade :( (no, that was not a typo,). Thank God the breakage is not noticeable....only to someone that is doing my hair. I have cut my hair several times in the past too allow the middle to catch up. I can't figure out for the life of me, why do I always have breakage in that particular area.

I am sitting here at home think that maybe I need to relax my hair in 6 sections as oppose to 4 sections. Does anyone relax their hair in more that 4 sections? :ohwell: .

Thanks in advance

Hmmmm :scratchchin:
How about trying 5 sections... the middle will b a section all to itself. Do that section last... that way, hopefully, you won't experience as much breakage as before.

Thanks Carmelhonee :) . Now the next hurdle is to get my hairdresser to go along with it.

Nice I hear you on the middle breakage. My hair is the same way. I can't figure it out for nothing either. :( But to answer your question, I don't know if it has anything to do with sectioning your hair for a relaxer because I part my hair straight down the middle and do one side at a time. I may have about 12 parts on each side, that's why I 'm thinking it has nothing to do with your sections. I don't know, I'm at a lost too.:ohwell: I know, I'm not much help:perplexed :lachen:

Nice said:
Thanks Carmelhonee :) . Now the next hurdle is to get my hairdresser to go along with it.

ur welcome Nice :kiss: u could probably section ur hair at home before going to her... and just tell her to do the middle section last.
Have u and ur stylist ever discussed ur hair breakage? If so, what has she said? If not, y do u still go to her? :mad:

ETA: B4 relaxing, does ur stylist make sure ur previously relaxed hair is fully protected? if not, that could also be one of the culprits.

luvlonghair said:
Nice I hear you on the middle breakage. My hair is the same way. I can't figure it out for nothing either. :( But to answer your question, I don't know if it has anything to do with sectioning your hair for a relaxer because I part my hair straight down the middle and do one side at a time. I may have about 12 parts on each side, that's why I 'm thinking it has nothing to do with your sections. I don't know, I'm at a lost too.:ohwell: I know, I'm not much help:perplexed :lachen:

I was thinking that relaxing the hair in 4 sections only make overlapping more probable.

Last edited:
CaramelHonee said:
ur welcome Nice :kiss: u could probably section ur hair at home before going to her... and just tell her to do the middle section last.
Have u and ur stylist ever discussed ur hair breakage? If so, what has she said? If not, y do u still go to her? :mad:

ETA: B4 relaxing, does ur stylist make sure ur previously relaxed hair is fully protected? if not, that could also be one of the culprits.

Well....no stylist that I have ever been to has offered a solution. They acknowledge that there is breakage :ohwell: . LOL...I still see "our" stylist. I will insist on the her using some form of protection in the future.

I texturized my hair yesterday and used 8 sections, this is the first time I've ever done this but will continue to do so indefinitely.

I don't think the sectioning in and of it self is having anything to do with the damage, could be the processing time of the hair for that section which is the culprit. It could be WHERE your hair is sectioned...For example, if one section of hair is softer, it's going to require less processing time/smoothing than a more resistant section. Have you noticed the texture of your natural hair in this area? If so, is it softer? If so, you may consider (if you haven't) having the relaxer applied to that location later in the process or perhaps not smoothed as aggressively as the other sections of your hair.

HTH!

I was going to suggest relaxing and washing out one section at a time. But from the sounds it, you are not a self relaxer. My hair is so much healthier since I've started doing it this way, that when you're dealing with 4 months of new growth you don't have to hurry trying to apply and smooth relaxer on the whole head of new growth within 18-20 minutes. Each section ends up being evenly processed.

Nice,

I too had the same problem, like you I was always cutting my hair at the advise of my hair stylist because the middle of my hair kept breaking off. The funny thing about it was that the only solution she could offer was to keep cutting it. I found that once I started taking care of my own hair, the middle part started to grow healthier than it ever was when I was going to the hair salon. I knew that it could grow healthy like the rest of my hair. I made sure that I "babied" the middle part of my hair, meaning I didn't treat it like the rest of my hair. I constantly made sure that it was moisturized and conditioned well. Also like CaramelHonee suggested, when you have this part of your hair relaxed, you should have the hair stylist relaxed the middle part of your hair last, since it is the most delicate part of your head.

Back