For New Naturals, What Do You Recommend As A 'must Try'?

Shampoos/Cleansing Conditioners
Eden Body Works Cleansing Cowash (moisturizing cleanser with excellent slip)
ORS Creamy Aloe Shampoo (very decent non-stripping clarifier)

Deep Conditioners
Silicon Mix or Silicon Mix Bambu
Bobeam Condish (original formula)
Naturelle Grow DCs (assorted)
ORS Replenishing Conditioner
SSI Riche Moisture Masque

Protein Treatments/Reconstructors
Aphogee 2-Minute Reconstructor
Aphogee Two-Step Protein Treatment
Mill Creek Biotin Conditioner

Leave-in Conditioners
SSI Coco Cream Leave-in Conditioner
Amazon Rain Muru Muru Moisture Milk
Smooth Naturals Ultimate Hair Treat

Creams/Butters

Annabelle’s Perfect Blends Hair & Body Butta
Bel Nouvo Coco Castor Pudding (excellent styler for shine, slip and hold)
MHC Type 4 Hair Crème
Amazon Rain Cupuacu Hair Butter
Amazon Rain Mango Tea

Greases/Pomades
MHC Sophia’s Old Fashioned Hair Grease
Mystic Essence Nature’s Blessing Hair Pomade
Oyin Sugar Berries Pomade

Oils
Almond
Avocado
Babassu
Castor
JBCO
Jojoba

Gels
Xtreme Professional Wet Line Styling Gel

Steam conditioning for moisture - I love Naturel Grow Herbal Blends and KBB DC
Protein conditioning - I really like Nexxus Emergencee
Find a styler that works for you...my hair hates gels
I have 4 a-b-c hair, I need a moisturizing DC that allows me to detangle and I love my steamer.

Not sure if this was the kind of answer you were looking for, but my top recommendation is to incorporate new products systematically and to do product or technique experiments.

I do this by splitting my hair down the middle and on one side doing my usual routine and on the other testing out whatever product or technique I'm curious about. That way I have a side by side comparison, under the same environmental conditions (so that I know the difference in results are the products or techniques and not how humid it might have been on one day versus another).

I would also recommend experimenting with sealing routines to keep in moisture (regardless of whether you use butters, oils or silicones to seal). For a long time I was doing the LCO method (before it was named that) and putting the oil on my hair last. In my mind it made sense to put the oil on last to seal in the other products. But I kept hearing about the LOC method, and putting the oil on before the cream. And though that didn't seem to make sense, I did a product experiment and tried the LCO consistently on one side of my head and did the LOC on the other side. And the LOC method, for me, by far had the better results. But I wouldn't have known that without experimenting.

And I learned that sealing is an important step, for me, by experimenting with skipping it in my routine for awhile and just using leave-in's and stylers. Not sealing my hair over time caused my ends to deteriorate much more quickly and my hair was drier and more tangly. So I reincorporated sealing.

I've learned a lot about my hair through experimenting like this. Doing this, I've found what works for me. Some of it follows popular recommendations (ex. finger detangling, frequent deep conditioning, sealing my ends and protecting my hair at night with silk or satin). And some of what I do goes against a lot of the popular hair advice (ex. using a brush, sulfates, silicones and petrolatum).

So my recommendation is to experiment, but do it in a way where you'll be able to tell what actually is and isn't working for you.

The product that I am LOVING right now is Jelly Soft Curls by Miss Jessies. It gives you a nice hold for twist outs, braid outs and wash-n-go's without the stiffness of gels. And it smells so good!

The Denman brush is also excellent for defining curls.

As a new natural, this thread may become very overwhelming and will send you in a spiral of mindless spending and disappointments.

I would advise that you "try" to first read and research methods and ingredients to see how they work and IF they will work for you. There is a valid science behind everything. Read "The Science of Black Hair." Or, read blogs that are backed by science.

I tried a crap load of things as a newly natural and it wasn't until I followed the science behind hair care methods verses what this and that person said to try that my hair started to respond very well.

DIY Sodium Bentonite Clay mask and/or Terressentials Mud Wash
The Curly Girl Method (and read the Handbook)
(At least try) DevaCurl products
DevaCut
Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle
Kinky Curly Knot Today/Curling Custard (although my first go round was lackluster, I love them now)

If you weren't doing it during your transition, a protein deep conditioner. I like Aphogee reconstructor. I can't remember the exact name at the moment, but, every head that has been relaxed can benefit from a protein deep conditioner at least just once.

@PJaye how does the Mill Creek Biotin compare to the Aphogee 2 Min?

ETA: or if you've shared this elsewhere can you link me please?

The Aphogee is a nice light protein treatment with great softening abilities. OTOH, the Mill Creek is cheaper, contains slightly better ingredients (including peppermint), provides more slip and packs a stronger protein punch. The Aphogee is great for those who are looking for a very light tap of protein without experiencing any of the rough aftereffects that protein treatments tend to leave behind. However, if someone is looking for stronger, more long-lasting results and doesn't mind a bit of roughness, then the Mill Creek would be the better choice, IMO. For instance, I have to mix the Aphogee with other protein-laden conditioners in order to receive the outcome I desire; whereas, I can use the Mill Creek neat to produce the same effect.

My recommendation is not to use more than 3 products in your hair...not sure how people know what exactly works and what doesn't when they have 6 types of gels oils styles leave ins etc in their hair.

This. Plus, only sample one product or method at a time, e.g., incorporate oil rinsing or a new DC, but leave the rest of your routine the same in order to gauge its efficacy.

My holy grails are:

- Babo Botanicals swim & Sport Shampoo wash
- As I Am coconut cowash
- Camille Rose Naturals Almond Jai Twist butter.
- CRN coconut water leave in
- Curls passion fruit curl control paste
- Design Essentials Natural honey
- Goodie hair clips and bands
- My afro pick WITH fist & peace sign.
- Jojoba oil
-

Shea Moisture High Porosity Moisture-Seal Masque is quickly becoming my must have and ONLY DC.

1. Listen to your hair, not other people. If your hair flourishes with old school grease and water then keep using it. Don't switch just because someone says grease is "bad" for your hair.
2. If a product doesn't work for you, don't force it to. You're only setting yourself up for failure. If you can repurpose it (using a conditioner to shave your legs or a shampoo to wash hair tools) then do it but don't keep giving it one more chance, one more month or one more year if it gives you dry hair and breakage. Just toss it, give it away or return it if you can. No product is worth a set back.
3. Experiment and have fun.
4. As for products...OGX dry styling oils, SM deep conditioners, Oyin handmade products and Camille Rose almond jai twisting butter

Back