For Naturals/Transitioners

Lindy

I found something in the November issue of Upscale that you guys might find interesting.

It's a new product line targeted to naturals & transitioners that claims to allow you to straighten your hair for a few days, then go back natural. They say it's also good for people trying to extend their relaxer.

It looks like you can only get it done at a salon though...
ohwell.gif
Here is the website:
Tress'cend

Does it show an ingredients list?

I found this:

Tress'cend Humigarde

The Tress'cend Humigarde is designed to repel moisture and humidity. Its non-reactive chemicals do not chemically alter the hair's natural curl pattern but is uniquely formulated to prevent the hair from reverting after the press and curl process.
Directions: Now that the hair is COMPLETELY dry, section the hair into 4 to 6 parts for control. Beginning at the scalp and working to the ends of the hair, apply an ample amount of Tress'cend Humigarde to the hair. Brush to evenly distribute the product. Do not saturate the hair. Straighten using a heated styling device, such as a curling or flat iron or pressing comb. Style as desired. "

I tried to download the ingredients list...I am having trouble...but I will get it in a minute.

2:59 pm est:Ok here is the latest update....

You can download a pricing list...that is it. It is press and curl system that you can only get at a salon. You can buy the shampoo, oil sheen and "preservant" at the salon...but not the Humigarde...that has to be put on by a professional...now that could be because you could do damage to your hair if you dont know what you are doing...or they dont want you to do it yourself so that you will keep coming to the salon and to them with the money! Supposedly, the Humigarde keeps moisture from entering the hair shaft which will (once you apply heat to it) lay flat...and then you use the preservant on your hair...until you return back to the salon or wash your hair...Somehow your hair is "sealed" with the combination of the chemical and the heat...

I vote no for two reasons: One...pressing for me (because I am heavy handed and style-challenged) would be a mistake...I know I would burn my hair to a crisp...and I have heard too many stylist that do the same...now if they can guarentee that the Humigard protects the hair against the heat damage....I might be tempted...but I dont want to risk melting my hair...

The second reason is: If the Humigard keeps moisture from entering the hair...then it seems like the long term effect would be dryness, crispyness, brittleness and breakage...My natural hair LOVES moisture...I run TO the rain...not from it...So blocking the hairshaft from getting moisture would be a hair disaster for me. Now maybe one press a year for trimming or for a "straight break" may not hurt it too bad...But I definitely could not see doing this once or twice a month.

Wow!!! That product sounds GREAT!!!!! That would be the total bomb! To have natural hair that's very easy to straighten whenever you want it without the commitment to chemicals. I'm relaxed and love the versatility, and I often wear my hair in a twist out which a lot of people assume is just my hair's natural texture - NOT - I'm a 4A, not a 2C! But when I was natural, though my hair was always really soft and had a lot of deep wave in it, it WOULD NOT straighten out for anything - a blow dryer, a curling iron, a pressing comb - nothing! All those things would do is blow it out and expand/lengthen it, but never straighten it.

If you fiind out that a salon near you does it...and you seriously consider getting it done...will you let us know the results?

[ QUOTE ]
pookeylou said:
The second reason is: If the Humigard keeps moisture from entering the hair...then it seems like the long term effect would be dryness, crispyness, brittleness and breakage...My natural hair LOVES moisture...I run TO the rain...not from it...So blocking the hairshaft from getting moisture would be a hair disaster for me. Now maybe one press a year for trimming or for a "straight break" may not hurt it too bad...But I definitely could not see doing this once or twice a month.

[/ QUOTE ]

EXACTLY!

My hair needs and loves moisture! Even when it's pressed, I will very lightly mist some moisturizing concoction on it.

[ QUOTE ]
...is uniquely formulated to prevent the hair from reverting after the press and curl process.

[/ QUOTE ]

This scares me. I don't want permanently pressed hair.
nono.gif
A major reason for me being natural is styling versatility.

Back