For ladies who relax to straighten (not texturize)....

tapioca_pudding

(I did a search for a thread like this and came up with nothing... if I missed it, please point me in the right direction!!)

I'm 11 weeks post and relaxers are all over my brain. I used Mizani for Fine/Color treated hair and it was a lil too harsh. Then I used Design Essentials Cream Relaxer (regular) and I felt like it didn't get it straight enough, just wasn't super thrilled with it. So I'm trying to find a lye relaxer that's in between the two, or either contemplating leaving the DE in a bit longer, which kinda scares me. The other option is adding oil to the Mizani, but I'm afraid it's going to underprocess me, which isn't what I want either. :perplexed:

Anywho, I'm looking for the ladies out there who relax straight. What relaxer are you using? Are you doctoring it up in any way (i.e., adding protein, SAA)? What have your results been?

Thanks in advance... :)

I use Soft & Beautiful mild. The formula has a packet of oil that you add to it. I don't add anything else but I might consider that whole SAA thing in the future.

I'm a coarse 4a head and it gets me straight without overprocessing. It's not a texlaxer, it works just right for me.

I usually wait til 12 weeks post and I split my hair into three sections to relax. It takes a while but it comes out great with minimal burning and usually no sores.

I base my scalp with this special baser from Optimum Care, then I use this spoon thing to apply it that I got from Sallys. It's like the thing you use to frost a cake except it's for hair. I usually get right up on the scalp with it.

I condition with French Stabilizer Plus. It's the best relaxer conditioner in the world! I've been using it since I was a child and it's the only thing that doesn't make my hair feel brittle, but actually it feels soft and moisturized when I use it right after the relaxer.

I also coat my hair with olive oil, this keeps it from getting overprocessed when the relaxer rinses out and it keeps my hair very, very soft.

Last edited:
I use Soft & Beautiful mild. The formula has a packet of oil that you add to it. I don't add anything else but I might consider that whole SAA thing in the future.

I'm a coarse 4a head and it gets me straight without overprocessing. It's not a texlaxer, it works just right for me.
Thanks! That's interesting that it comes with it's own pack of oil. :yep:

Thanks! That's interesting that it comes with it's own pack of oil. :yep:

You're welcome. I keep it on the maximum time for coarse hair (the mild version) too.

Forget salons! I have my own "salon" at home (complete with a Pibbs), and I don't have to deal with someone torturing me, giving me attitude and charging me an arm and a leg for something I could do myself!

Good luck :grin:

You're welcome. I keep it on the maximum time for coarse hair (the mild version) too.

Forget salons! I have my own "salon" at home (complete with a Pibbs), and I don't have to deal with someone torturing me, giving me attitude and charging me an arm and a leg for something I could do myself!

Good luck :grin:
I feel EXACTLY the same way!! A part of me wants to get it done prof. but the larger part just feels like I can do bad all by myself... :yep:

I relax bone straight, I get Design Essentials sensitive at the salon. When I relaxed at home I would use Fabulaxer, regular. Not sure if this brand is still made but it definitely got me bone straight.

My stylist uses DE regular. It relaxes my hair too straight IMO. I've been asking her to not leave it on as long, but she's doing her own thing. I don't self relax, so I don't have any recos. Do you self-relax? If so, have you thought of having a stylist apply it?

I just added pictures to my fotki, I relaxed over the weekend...set under the dryer, used and curling iron:perplexed to straighten it and then this morning i used my caurso rollers. It turned out really nice this morning (most of the curls are gone now) I have to get used to using them, it was my 1st time.

Thanks!! I didn't even realize they made relaxers. I will def do some research on that one. The 'extra body' in the name has me all excited! :)

Back