For 4a Wash n Wearers-I need help

Scasey

Quick question. I have been swimming lately and after I wash the chlorine out of my hair, I have been letting it airdry and I love the curls. However, after my hair completely dries which is usually by the next morning it gets hard and looks dry. What am I doing wrong?

This is my routine, I wash and condition with swimmers shampoo/conditioner. I add LUST and rinse with distilled water. Next I use Loreal curl enhancher in the orange tube (I forgot the name). If I let my hair dry during the day it looks wavy but dries hard. If I let it dry overnight sleeping in a plastic bag it has tiny curls and dries hard as well.

Please help me maintain this look without all of the morning after drama.

Thanks

I don't swim but it doesn't sound like you're doing anything wrong.

Chlorine is hard on/bad for both hair and skin and that's just a fact. You might want to try a more moisturizing shampoo and conditioner. I've used LUST and it makes my hair hard (when it dries). I've heard it's supposed to be moisturizing but every product works differently for everyone.

I don't know much about shampoo's but Breakthru is very moisturising. I like Pantene Relaxed & Natural conditioner because it makes my 4a hair really soft.

Good luck.

Do you wear a swim-cap? I know it doesn't completely seal chlorine water out but it's a start. Also, if I remember correctly, there was a thread about someone going to the beach and wondering how to maintain their hair and I think the advice was to layer it with a type of sealant before going swimming (Perhaps a serum/polisher?) to prevent the sea water from penetrating the hair strands. You would still have to follow the "post-swimming" washing regimen you follow, but at least that might help prevent chlorine from doing its worst to your hair.

When you condition, do you deep condition (ie use a plastic cap and go under a warm dryer to allow the conditioner to penetrate your hair?) That might help a little.

The recs I have read for pre-swim involve dampening hair with water, slathering on conditioner. I would put on the cap as well. These steps should keep your hair from absorbing so much chlorine.

Thank you ladies for your help, I do wear a swim cap as a matter of fact, I put two plastic caps on under the swim cap and I wet my haair and put conditioner on it before I get in the pool (advice that I got from this board :).

Maybe it's the LUST that is making my hair hard or maybe I am not just meant to wear that style. It is so easy for me though b/c i don't have time to sit under the dryer.

I'll try it one more time when I go back on Wednesday.

Back