Flexi Rod Set Maintenance

Monaleezza

Hi Ladies
I wish I wasn't too embarassed to send a pic of the mop I'm currently wearing on my head, but I am, I am!:blush:

I wet set my hair with leave in conditioner and sat under the drier and the Flexi Rod gave me some gorgeous ringlet curls. I looked like Black Riding Hood. Now I look like Black Riding Dread.:lachen:

At night I've been wearing my bonnet and tucking the curls into it, but there is nothing I can do to stop them looking "slept on".

A ringlet curl that's flat on one side isn't much of a ringlet at all.

So my questions for you are:

1. What do you put in your hair to set it, to prevent it from drying?

2. What do you do to it at night?

3. What do you do to it in the morning/during the day?

4. How long will you wear the style before taking it down and starting again?
I plan to comb it out and start again this evening, so any tips would be appreciated and hopefully we'll all learn summin.

The most important thing is preserving my flexi-sets was using setting lotion and drying the flexi-rod set completely, for defined, crisp (not hard) curls.

The second important thing was to separate hair (ex.,ear-to-ear) and put up with a silky scrunchy and tie it up loosely at night. Tying tightly flattened the curls, but its the bottom curls that are affected ad the crown/top hair will help cover that up.

I really want to try pin curling the next time a do any kind of curls.

In the morning I just take out the bobby pins, gently separate the curls since I only make like 8-10 pin curls and finger comb the roots a little. The result is loose yet uniform curls tht are so pretty to me. Im able to keep doing that for atleast a week or till I loose the original curl pattern from the flexi set.

the products I use to do my flexi set is shesentit coco creme followed by creme of nature Argan Oil foam wrapping lotion (or some variation of the title I just gave) followed by a lil hairveda cocostsa oil

I usually sleep on my satin pillowcase with no bonnet the bonnet always smushed my curls. If I remember i flip all the curls towards the top of my head before lying down.
No matter what size rollers unlessI use boufant rollers I wind up with basically the same size curl by the end of the week.

Question
How do you all moisturise and seal flexi sets last time I tried running wet hands over the ends and oiling and then using shea moisture raw shea butter treatment.

I usually sleep on my satin pillowcase with no bonnet the bonnet always smushed my curls. If I remember i flip all the curls towards the top of my head before lying down.
No matter what size rollers unlessI use boufant rollers I wind up with basically the same size curl by the end of the week.

Question
How do you all moisturise and seal flexi sets last time I tried running wet hands over the ends and oiling and then using shea moisture raw shea butter treatment.

nadaa16

I would use a couple drops of NTM leave-in on my finger and go down the length of each curl in its spiral pattern. It's best to let the hair dry before laying down on the curls. I would do this in the morning and this method also elongates tight curls. Another day I would use oil on the length of the curl, oiling is good to do on the curler take down, too.

The point was to not use any water based moisturizer, unless you are gonna re-roll that hair.

The pineapple method worked for me. Just pile your curls to the top of your head. Kinda hard for me to explain but you can youtube it.

nadaa16

I would use a couple drops of NTM leave-in on my finger and go down the length of each curl in its spiral pattern. It's best to let the hair dry before laying down on the curls. I would do this in the morning and this method also elongates tight curls. Another day I would use oil on the length of the curl, oiling is good to do on the curler take down, too.

The point was to not use any wtater based moisturizer, unless you are gonna re-roll that hair.

so you sit there and go through each curl? yesh IDK If I have the patience lol
here is a pic of my last rod set
Can you see the size? Do your sets usually stay larger than this? or are you running product down curls this size?
TIA!

Attachments

• Photo on 4-20-12 at 12.32 AM #4.jpg
    Photo on 4-20-12 at 12.32 AM #4.jpg
    231.9 KB · Views: 63
Question

@nadaa16 What was the outcome? If I wet/dampen/moisturise my curls midweek, I loosen and lose them.

Does anyone know of any alternatives to setting lotion, it's so drying. And since I don't get to properly moisturise I am conscious that my hair is dry and un-moisturised for up to a week.

Last edited:
Does anyone know of any alternatives to setting lotion, it's so drying. And since I don't get to properly moisturise I am conscious that my hair is dry and un-moisturised for up to a week.

Have you tried diluting the setting lotion? I've found setting lotion works best for me when diluted. I also use it after applying my regular leave-ins and my sets comes out soft, but still holds well.

@nadaa16 What was the outcome? If I wet/dampen/moisturise my curls midweek, I loosen and lose them.

I'm natural so All that really happens is that the curls tighten. Actually the pic posted wasn't even a rod set it was magnetic rollers but they shrank up.

Back