Flatirons -- I Don't Get it ...

Chichi

Flatirons -- I Don\'t Get it ...

Could someone help me out here...

Time and time again, I read about a someone using a flatiron
shocked.gif
. I thought that intense heat was bad for the hair but folks somehow describe using a flatiron as positive.

So I guess that I am confused
confused.gif
perplexed.gif
are flatirons good for your hair?
do they use lots of heat?
are they good only occasionally?

Any help woud be appreciated as I have never used one before...

Thanks,
Chichi
bdance.gif

Re: Flatirons -- I Don\'t Get it ...

Intense heat is bad for hair, regardless as to the method. If you have/buy a flat iron with regulated temperature settings it is easier to turn the heat up and down. With heat less is more.
smile.gif

IMHO, it is okay to use heat once per week, provided your hair is in good condition (especially the ends). You must ALWAYS use a good thermal protector with good regular conditionings. In other words if you take care of your hair in a healthy manor a little heat won't hurt (generally speaking).

With moderate use it is o.k.
up.gif

I use a ceramic flat iron which is supposed to be non damaging. I only use it once weekly though!

ceramic flat irons are reported to be non-damaging or much less damaging than regular Flat Irons. Ceramic flat Irons supposedly seal in moisture.

I agree that moderate use is ok. I have a ceramic flat iron. I use it about once a month (sometimes less than that). It hasn't harmed my hair.

With proper conditioning and usage, and care, any heat used in moderation should not cause a problem. It's the over use of heat (excessive temperatures, frequent usage, not using it on clean hair only...) that causes damage.

What about heat from a hooded dryer. If I'm gonna wash my hair 3 times a week (which is what I"ve changed my regime to), how on earth can I style my hair without that dryer? I hardly EVER have time to airdry 'cause even when I get home in the evening, I never know when I'm gonna run out of the door again (and I don't want my ahri to dictate whether I do or not) so what are some styles that dry overnight (maybe with a 5-10 minute prompting with the dryer?) and are not uncomfortable (like wearing rollers) and also is using the dryer 3 times a week (I use very little other heat on my hair) and using the dryer too for hot oil and pre conditioning treatments ok for my hair?

Sosly, using the hooded dryer should be fine. Is it possible that you could decrease it to twice a week? That may be better since you use other heat from time to time.

I use my hooded dryer weekly and I've not experienced any damage. I don't have the energy to do my hair 3x/week. So I can't comment on using it throughout the week.

I use a flat iron on a regular basis and it has not harmed my hair. The flat iron makes my hair look silky and bouncy when done in small sections. I use it to calm my new growth as well.

Back