FLATIRON that gets CLOSE to ROOTS?

shellzfoshizzle

Ya'll I just rollerset my hair and sat under the dryer...I decided to flatiron just the front, sides and back to do a length check. Yea, I got some length! Yay for me! My back is making a tail...in a V shape. The sides are growing slowly...but I'm getting there.

To make a long story short, I use a Vidal Sassoon flatiron from Target. I been using it for about 2 years and it was like $20, just for my simple needs.

But now that I am going natural and need to really get close to my roots for when I want straight hair or to do a length check, my flatiron doesn't cut it.

What's a good flatiron that gets close to the roots?

Do I just need to save my money for a Maxiglide?

My 1" FHI ceramic iron works really well. I feel comfortable practically laying it on my scalp because I have never burned myself. I use it at 370 degrees and it gets very silky, but I have to do thin sections.

i find that if you go thru your hair with a fine tooth comb right in front of the flatiron you get a maxiglide like result if you can find a flatiron that is smaller than 1in you can get closer to the roots i saw one that looked like .5in at walmart i think but it might have been target

msportugal said:
i find that if you go thru your hair with a fine tooth comb right in front of the flatiron you get a maxiglide like result if you can find a flatiron that is smaller than 1in you can get closer to the roots i saw one that looked like .5in at walmart i think but it might have been target

I say save your money for the Maxiglide flat iron. I really like it and I have been stretching for 12 weeks now. I just used it last week or two weeks ago and a lot of people liked it. A couple of them thought I actually had a relaxer put on my head. You can get very close to the scalp and it doesn't burn whatsoever. I love it and I highly recommend it. :woot:

I have a 1/2 inch jilbere (sp?) from Sally's. It's great for pressing the roots. I wish they would make a 3/8 inch one though. The plates on my 1/2 inch come all the way to the border of the iron so it really gets close to the scalp.

Okay...have the regular Kizure flat iron (that you put in the stove), have the Corioliss pink limited edtition, have the FHI 1" 207, and the maxi and miniglide....
best resutls and closest to the roots w/ the Kizure first, but when I don't feel like pulling out the hardware.....FHI works the next best (9 on a scale of 0 to 10 w/ Kizure being the 10..but too great of a chance of burning my hair!).
Maxi glide not getting for me...a little cumbersome to use, but I'm sure I'll get better results once I get used to it...I keep hearing RAVE reviews.....

brownsugar9999 said:
Okay...have the regular Kizure flat iron (that you put in the stove), have the Corioliss pink limited edtition, have the FHI 1" 207, and the maxi and miniglide....
best resutls and closest to the roots w/ the Kizure first, but when I don't feel like pulling out the hardware.....FHI works the next best (9 on a scale of 0 to 10 w/ Kizure being the 10..but too great of a chance of burning my hair!).
Maxi glide not getting for me...a little cumbersome to use, but I'm sure I'll get better results once I get used to it...I keep hearing RAVE reviews.....

Girl you got the ammunition don't you!!!:lol:

I am not very good with heat appliances at all (they really scare me) but I do have the Maxiglide and haven't used anything else for comparison. I like it as far as getting close to my roots. I rollerset it today and just flatironed my NG near the roots. It's still a little thick under there, but its only because i just don't have the patience to do EVERY section and don't mind the "big hair" when I am wearing a curly style. I guess it I was flat ironing it straight, I would be more serious about flat ironing each and every section.

blackbarbie said:
Girl you got the ammunition don't you!!!:lol:

I am not very good with heat appliances at all (they really scare me) but I do have the Maxiglide and haven't used anything else for comparison. I like it as far as getting close to my roots. I rollerset it today and just flatironed my NG near the roots. It's still a little thick under there, but its only because i just don't have the patience to do EVERY section and don't mind the "big hair" when I am wearing a curly style. I guess it I was flat ironing it straight, I would be more serious about flat ironing each and every section.
Girl......this is the ONLY way I straighten my hair, so I DON'T PLAY!!!!!!:grin: I hate to say it, but PJism covers ALL bases.....have to be prepared in case of drought, drama, holocaust, nuclear war...you name it!

brownsugar9999 said:

I also find the maxiglide cumbersome. With the FHI, I can get my edges, around my ears, etc, all without burning myself.

caligirl said:
I also find the maxiglide cumbersome. With the FHI, I can get my edges, around my ears, etc, all without burning myself.

YES THE MAIN POINT>>W/O burning MYSELF!!!! I may burn everyone else in the vicinity, but I'll be damned if you smell burning SQUIRREL!!!!!:lachen:

nikki1971 said:
Anybody use the Sedu ceramic flatiron?

I use the Sedu (1'')and its my favorite of the ones I've tried. The only thing about it is, you can only use one hand with it, I've been flat ironing forever so I'm used to not pressing the plates together with my other hand, but it took some getting used to....If you are more comfortable using your other hand then this one may not be comfortable for you...but if you can, I really think the results are worth it!!

I've used a Jilbere and the FHI and the Sedu worked out the best for me. I wouldn't know what to do with myself it something ever happened to it!

Last edited:
My 1" FHI 207rvi gets really close.

I notice that most of the 1" flat irons that I have used do, as well.

I gave up on flat irons and use a regular curling iron; it is all plates so there is no way for those roots to get missed.
My flat iron I used to use was Jilbere, which I was very disappointed with as it didn't get the roots as straight as my curling iron plus, the so-called ceramic wears off after a while getting cooked into my hair. No surprise, as Jilbere is Conair's international name, so they are cheap. Don't get me wrong, for EVAH I used a Conair curling iron and the ceramic coating wore off that too, so I went back to plain goldplated chrome irons.

Back