Flat twists on natural 4a hair

caress

I am considering putting my hair in flat twists soon. I would add a ponytail hair piece on the back. My concern is that generally this is done on relaxed hair. Does anyone have any suggestion on how I can keep my hair in place without gel? Can I still use gel?

It's pretty hot and humid now. Also, I experience night sweats (and I'm not sure why yet, but that's another story). Will my roots get matted(sp?)up? What about if I did the same thing with cornrows? Thanks for any help you guys can offer.

I'm 4a natural too, and honestly, I never put in flat twists to wear in public, I just do it for twist out purposes. However, IMHO, you may be able to use something that has moisturizing and holding properties like a curl wax (I use this when I do my twists so that the curls stay when I pull them out) or some type of aloe vera gel (I think Giovanni or some other natural hair care line makes a non-drying aloe vera gel). Hope this helps.

Well just last year when I was still natural I would wear flat twist with a fonytail all the time.....I would was condition and press my hair before getting my hair done but it would last me for at LEAST two weeks. Im a heavy sweater too. I didn't really experience excessive breakage either. So IMO it shouldnt give u much trouble. HTH

Someone with natural hair posted her flat twist pics and they were off the chain! I'll have to find her pics or username for you.. 'cause I can't answer about the humidity/weather, etc...

I have done flat twists before and the only way that mine stay put is with gel. The brown kind that you get from Sally's. My hair is very coarse and nappy though. Not everyone may need to use gel. some people get away with just grease.
Daisy

I have had flat twists done and gel was used sparingly. For me they last about two weeks.

drunk.gif
Slowly, but surely

Can someone tell me how to do flat twists or direct me to instructions. I like the idea of them in combination with the phonytail
smile.gif

Thanks ladies! Now I just have to decide if I should them with gel or with a wax product. I usually wash, blowdry and press my hair but I'm not sure of how I'll go about it before I press my hair. Any ideas?
Should I:
just wash it and twist it
wash it , blowdry it and twist it OR
wash it, blowdry it and then twist it?

I too would like to know how to do flat twists. I have some directions from another board but I still could use more advice.

Laela i know who you are talking about.

Caress do a search for a member called Seoul (formerly known as Asha), she's natural and has beautiful hair. If you can't find her pics through her posts, try PM'ing her I'm sure she'd be glad to help, she's lovely and her hair is beautiful.

Peachtree gave great instructions on how to do a twist out. Do a search under her and check out her pics (I think she has instructions in there too). She's relaxed, but the technique's the same whether hair is natural or relaxed. Just grip as tightly as you can since the natural hair won't lie as flat.

Since this is your first time twisting, your hair will probably be easier to manage if you wash, blow, then mist and twist by section. When my hair is pressed/blown out, the flat twists lie a little flatter (this may help you since you're planning on wearing the twists out as opposed to just taking them out for curls).

Can flat twists be done on natural 4a/4b hair that's not stretched out with a press or blowdryer?

Back