flat twists, black gel and hair breakage?

mstankers

Hi, all. Has anyone had flat twists? I would like to get them this week but am concerned about all of the gel they will use on my hair. The stylist I spoke to said that she would use black gel...Isnt that bad for the hair? Why cant I use clear gel? Any suggestions? I know it is a short term style but even still I am nervous about my hair breaking. Please respond and thanks ina dvance!

Salons like that "stiff" stuff, but you don't necessarily have to have that, I've used Aussie Gel it does not have alchol and it holds really good, It's a spray gel.

Take your own if that's all they have.

If your gonna leave your twists in a week that black stuff will dry/harden and possibly break.

PS In addition to the Spray they have this one

gel.jpg

If this is the gel I think it is then I suggest you take your own... The black/brown stuff is like glue! Try ORS Lock & Twist Gel or QP Feels Like Silk mixed with a little QP Glaze. My cousins like Sheenique Gel for twists and braids. I've never used it. It looks like Let's Jam to me...

Mstankers, please don't let them use any "black gook" on your hair girl. For the most part every gel that I've seen in supply stores that are black are very "hardening" gels, that will dry your hair out. Back in the day I used to love the black & brown hardening gels because they seemed to hold my styles the longest. But at the same time, they were drying my hair out too.

Since beginning my hair regime, I have experimented with only 1 gel... I believe it's called "Smooth 'n Shine"??? I ran out of it, & can't remember the name... but it's a pink gel & it smells like strawberries & watermelon
lick.gif
. It does not contain alcohol either. It takes a bit to thoroughly dry, but I have used it on my flat twists with no problems. Also, it doesn't leave the hair tangled. After my next supply run, I'll send u a PM of the name.

Hoping your twists come out beautifully
smile.gif

Everybody, thank you for the responses! When she told me she used black gel, I nearly turned on my heels and walked out because my mom had goddess braids and they used that black stuff and my mom took the braids out after a week because her hair was itchy and i could see the black stuff on her scalp. yuck. peachtree, i look forward to getting the pm when you find out the name of the product you used. mindymouse, i am going to go on a run tomorrow and get the aussie natural gel. sassy, i have not had good experiences with ORS products but i will check out the lock and twist gel when i am in the store tomorrow. i will let you all know what i buy. i hope i can get the aussie natural gel from the supply store around here

Thanks, peach. Dont know what I would do without this site. I asked the braider this morning if twists need to be tight because I CANNOT have tight braids or flat twists. She said she wont do them tight but I have heard this before so after the first one I'll have to open my eyes wide and see if my head hurts. I am VERY concerned about breakage

I hear ya girl. What's the purpose in gaining 1" of new growth just to end up with having 1" of breakage? You're right to be concerned about breakage...especially if drying / hardening gels are used as well as a "heavy hand" manipulating your hair. If they're too tight, most def let her know of it.
smile.gif

speaking of flat twist, how do you do them yourself? I have had them done, but mine always look crappy.

Make sure that if your style is done on wet hair that you thoroughly wet the hair before you unfurl the twists. My daughter and I both got the flat twists once. I took my own out after thoroughly wetting them. A cousin took out my daughters --- dry, with a straight comb! She lost a section of her hair. Poor baby!
cry3.gif

Back