Flat twisting natural hair...tips for making it sleeker

DirtyJerzeyGirly

So I recently leanred how to flat twist. When I do it on my hair after it's shampooed and conditioned it always looks so messy and frizzy (like I've been wearing them forever):lachen:

Does any have any tips on how to make them look neat and sleeker?

I use IC Fantasia Heat Protectant/Straightening Serum while my hair is damp - before I twist it. It keeps my flat twist-out looking sleek instead of frizzy.

The denman brush makes my hair more sleek no matter what style I wear.

I pull out half the tracks of teeth so that it's less stressful to the hair. :)

BUmping for a multitude of responses. Flat twists are so much faster than single twists, but I have far from perfected the style

Use a heavy twisting cream and don't make your sections too big...make sure they are COMPLETELY dry before taking them out. HTH!!

After I put flat twists in on damp freshly washed hair I usually spritz with water and apply a little shea butter to the hairline and scarf it up for 20 minutes or so. Get's it flat enough for me. (I'm scared of gel, hehe :blush:)

025-1.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks RachelRegina! I had only just discovered flat twists in January, when I first found this forum and ever since I've been Twist-crazy! LOL :grin:

I am a product minimalist. I just washed and conditioned my hair. And then when it was halfway air dried (using my satin scarf), I styled the twists. If I want a sleek look I just use water and a bit of shea and let my satin scarf do all the work.

I find that my styles stay sleeker when I style my damp hair. And tying hair down has been my holy grail technique for neatness!

Last edited:
I am not sure you can call mine sleek, but I do them on stretched airdried hair. I don't use any products and I think they turn out OK. This is an example of what they look like freshly done:
IMG00294201003292341-vi.jpg

This is after a wash:
TwistPonyPuffandSideSweptBangs-vi.jpg

And this is after about 8 washes...when they get pretty fuzzy and not exactly what you want. :lol:
ssytwiststhatImmadlyinlovewith-vi.jpg

All pics show the hair w/o any product in it, so I imagine an oil might've given them some type of sheen but I hate product in my hair and don't mind them as they are.

I am not sure you can call mine sleek, but I do them on stretched airdried hair. I don't use any products and I think they turn out OK. This is an example of what they look like freshly done:
IMG00294201003292341-vi.jpg

This is after a wash:
TwistPonyPuffandSideSweptBangs-vi.jpg

And this is after about 8 washes...when they get pretty fuzzy and not exactly what you want. :lol:
ssytwiststhatImmadlyinlovewith-vi.jpg

All pics show the hair w/o any product in it, so I imagine an oil might've given them some type of sheen but I hate product in my hair and don't mind them as they are.

Wow, those are :lick::lick: too! :lachen:See, my problem is when I do them they always look so fuzzy and frizzy but yours look great. I've never done them on airdried strecthed hair but I will. Thanks!

Wow, those are :lick::lick: too! :lachen:See, my problem is when I do them they always look so fuzzy and frizzy but yours look great. I've never done them on airdried strecthed hair but I will. Thanks!

Do you twirl the hair in each strand around it's axis before crossing them over? Maybe that's what you need to do.

When I twist, I don't just take two sections and wrap them around each other. I first twist them separately and only THEN do I wrap them around each other.

myway-vi.jpg

I tried to show this slowly in this vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-PPsh1_Np0

And then I made this vid to show that it doesn't have to take long once you get the hang of it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xm0c7KPcj08

The only thing you might not like about twisting like this is the twists come out skinny. But I fix that by CWing as soon as I'm done which makes them fatten up but also hang down straight--coz I let them drip dry with a towel draped over my shoulders.
TwistsBeforeandAfter-vi.jpg

What I like about twisting like this is the hair in each strand is kept from getting tangled with that in the other strand. So take down is as easy as this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jff-Uqfb_SA

Do you twirl the hair in each strand around it's axis before crossing them over? Maybe that's what you need to do.

When I twist, I don't just take two sections and wrap them around each other. I first twist them separately and only THEN do I wrap them around each other.

myway-vi.jpg

I tried to show this slowly in this vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-PPsh1_Np0

And then I made this vid to show that it doesn't have to take long once you get the hang of it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xm0c7KPcj08

The only thing you might not like about twisting like this is the twists come out skinny. But I fix that by CWing as soon as I'm done which makes them fatten up but also hang down straight--coz I let them drip dry with a towel draped over my shoulders.

TwistsBeforeandAfter-vi.jpg

What I like about twisting like this is the hair in each strand is kept from getting tangled with that in the other strand. So take down is as easy as this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jff-Uqfb_SA

Funny you should ask this because when I was dreaming about my hair the other night (yes....don't shoot me! :lachen:) I thought that maybe this would work. I'm gonna try it.

I am a product minimalist. I just washed and conditioned my hair. And then when it was halfway air dried (using my satin scarf), I styled the twists. If I want a sleek look I just use water and a bit of shea and let my satin scarf do all the work.

I find that my styles stay sleeker when I style my damp hair. And tying hair down has been my holy grail technique for neatness!

Thanks Curly! I needed the play by play. I'm trying this on my 11 DD tonight!

To flat-twist my daughter's hair, I use kimmaytube's leave in condish recipe on feshly co-washed hair. I first make sure the hair is not soaking wet before I braid (makes the twists messier, IMO), and then I apply shea butter from root to tip. The shea butter I swear acts like magic....it holds the twists in place, adds some sheen and her hair looks so neat!

Finally, I twist the end of her hair around my finger a few times to neaten the twist and give it some curl.

HTH!

I use Murray's lock and twist gel for mine. I even washed my hair with them in and they STILL looked good after all my hair dried.

Thanks for the tips ladies. My flat twists always look a mess and the resulting twist out is horrible. My hair is so thick and I have a hard time getting it to lay right.

I use Murray's lock and twist gel for mine. I even washed my hair with them in and they STILL looked good after all my hair dried.

I have something similar to Murrays. Carol's Daughter Loc and twist butter. It's good to use for twists. I just recently learned how to cornrow and flattwisting is similar to cornrowing anyway. I just need to practice a lil more on not getting it to look so messy.

I like to do it on dry stretched hair also when you grab the next section of hair to cross over, you have to tug gently so that you secure the twist closer to your scalp, other wise, they will look loose and you hair will start to unravel

^ Yeah I think I need to tug more as well. I get so lazy sometimes and my arms just start to hurt. I wish they would invent some sort of cornrower/flat twister....

I use shea butter to twist mine on stretched air dried hair. When I retwist after about two weeks, I use Miss Jessies Babybutter Creme. Some pics are in my album, but they're not stored on my computer so I can't post.

I usually twist with Cantu Leave in and Jojoba oil but I twisted last night with the same products on semi damp hair and found castor oil to be useful in reducing frizz. I add a mini dot on my fingers when I twist and noticed it smoothes the twist nicely with less frizz. Its like 6:22Am in FL and I just came back from my morning run and I wore a scarf on it last night, and just wore the bonnet (sans scarf) to run. They drew up more last night so I wanted the humidity to help them drop again.....I am very pleased.

I am part of the castor oil challenge (I have the clear Castor oil, not JBCO) and have found many uses for castor oil......This is my first time twisting in 8 weeks (had braid extensions all that time) and I am so excited do use castor oil while learning new styles to twist and wear my hair in.......!

I usually twist with Cantu Leave in and Jojoba oil but I twisted last night with the same products on semi damp hair and found castor oil to be useful in reducing frizz. I add a mini dot on my fingers when I twist and noticed it smoothes the twist nicely with less frizz. Its like 6:22Am in FL and I just came back from my morning run and I wore a scarf on it last night, and just wore the bonnet (sans scarf) to run. They drew up more last night so I wanted the humidity to help them drop again.....I am very pleased.

I am part of the castor oil challenge (I have the clear Castor oil, not JBCO) and have found many uses for castor oil......This is my first time twisting in 8 weeks (had braid extensions all that time) and I am so excited do use castor oil while learning new styles to twist and wear my hair in.......!

Thanks for the tips! I'm moving to Fl in December so that example helped out as well.

I have noticed that when I do my cornrows on stretched dry hair they come out a lot better. I'm also a big fan of castor oil as well.

Thanks for the tips! I'm moving to Fl in December so that example helped out as well.

I have noticed that when I do my cornrows on stretched dry hair they come out a lot better. I'm also a big fan of castor oil as well.

I will be twisting on stretched dry hair next time.....

Back