FLAT IRONS OR BLOW OUT

pbuckley

Which one is the lesser of two evils? I have been reading conflicting information. I know that blow outs are not healthy because of the direct heat but is it ok to flat iron and if so why?
confused.gif

I believe neither are the lesser of two evils. They both can be bad for your hair but the key word in describing damage from heat is "ABUSE". In other words,if you are using these tools moderately and are using products to protect the hair when using heat,then there should not be a problem. The problem comes in when we abuse our hair by using these tools every day or just too often.

Just my opinion.

Tee

I know for my hair, a flat iron is less damaging, but I can only speak for my hair. I think blow drying it, especially when it's dripping wet is very damaging. That's a lot of stress put on your hair.

the best method for me is this: i wash and deep condition, wrap my hair in a towel for a while, then add l'oreal smooth intense serum, then comb into a bun and leave it like that until the front part is almost completely dry. then i take the bun out and blowdry my hair, which by now is only damp and the front is already dry and straight. this puts less stress on my hair also. i don't own a flat iron so i can't give you any advice on that. sorry,

nay.

For my hair, I prefer to let it air dry and then flat iron it. I used to flat iron my hair once a month. I haven't did it for a while now though.

I agree, you have to use these tools in moderation. Right now roller sets don't work for me as far as convenience. I towel dry my hair and let it air dry for a while, then blow it dry on warm-it takes longer but I'm also not frying my hair. I then flat iron it with my Jilbere ceramic mini iron. I do this once a week and I don't get any breakage or dryness-although it does help that I have healthy hair to begin with (taken me two years to get it!) and I also keep my hair well moisturized and I wear it up most of the time. Completely refraining from any heat just does not work for me-I wish I were that disciplined but I like my hair to be straight and smooth.
blush.gif
hwell:

Back