flat ironing vs pressing combs

NYRICAN1

My daughter is natural and I have chosen not to get her hair relaxed until she is older and can actually take care of it herself plus she also likes her natural puffs. I have decided to have her hair straightened every other week. I took her to a dominican hair salon and the owner insisted that I not use the pressing combs on her hair because they damage the hair and insisted that the blowdryer and then flat iron on her hair would be a better alternative especially since her flatiron is ceramic. she did a great job at it and she refused to put any grease on her hair because she said it just attracts dirt. what do you guys think?

When I was younger, my mother pressed my hair the "old fashioned" way with a heated pressing comb and pressing oil (thick, wavy grease). My hair was in decent shape. Regardless of how the lady straightens the hair, it would be probably better to skip the blow dryer somehow and then just use a pressing comb or flat iron. I would imagine that the pressing comb would do a better job (than a flat iron) if the blow dryer step was skipped. The only thing with a pressing comb is that the heat level has to be really watched. My mother was (and still is) a pro presser and she never burnt or over straightened my hair.

I hardly ever use heat, but I have a flat iron and a plug up pressing comb. I have found that the corded pressing comb never gets too hot for my hair (even on high setting), so perhaps this would be an option; your daughter can wash her hair--let it air dry in braids and then flat iron or press it herself (or you can do this) (with a plug up pressing comb).

I think she i right about the grease, especially because she is young she is going to be playing around and stuff, I just think it makes sense

I prefer a flat iron for getting the hair straight. I have used both the flat iron and the pressing comb. I seem to get more hair to come out or breakage with a pressing comb rather than a flat iron. As a child my mother used a pressing comb and I had long hair.

Brownie said:
When I was younger, my mother pressed my hair the "old fashioned" way with a heated pressing comb and pressing oil (thick, wavy grease). My hair was in decent shape. Regardless of how the lady straightens the hair, it would be probably better to skip the blow dryer somehow and then just use a pressing comb or flat iron. I would imagine that the pressing comb would do a better job (than a flat iron) if the blow dryer step was skipped. The only thing with a pressing comb is that the heat level has to be really watched. My mother was (and still is) a pro presser and she never burnt or over straightened my hair.

I hardly ever use heat, but I have a flat iron and a plug up pressing comb. I have found that the corded pressing comb never gets too hot for my hair (even on high setting), so perhaps this would be an option; your daughter can wash her hair--let it air dry in braids and then flat iron or press it herself (or you can do this) (with a plug up pressing comb).

I will try this because I would think it would be even worse using both the blowdryer and the flatiron.

If you continue to go to that particular lady and shes more comfortable with a flat iron I would go with what she thinks. I dont think everyone can use a pressing comb properly like back in the day.

I think the hair dresser was pretty much on point. I wouldn't use a pressing comb because they are more damaging than a ceramic flat iron and flat ironing with grease is just asking for damage. I used to do that and I think that's what messed up my hair. Also, I would try if possible to skip the blow drying and either air-dry or have her sit under the hooded dryer just to skip one heat step.

Back