Flat Ironing Thick Hair.....

drappedup

Hellllloo ladies,

it's been a while since I made an annoying thread with a hair trouble problem clueless me is suffering from. :grin::blush: Well, it's almost been a year since my last relaxer (Thanksgiving weekend of '09), and well my hair by now, especially in the last couple summer months has gotten progressively curlier and even thicker than before, and I've always, according to my complaining stylists and mom when doing my hair and sister doing my hair, etc., etc., had really aggravatingly thick hair anyway. But it's getting even worse. I am getting to the point where, in order to do my buns for work, I have to do some kind of mild flat ironing once or twice a week. However, I've never been big into flat irons.....I've usually just let my stylist do that kinda stuff. The ones I've used, like this Conair one I had years ago, or my current Andis, I spent like 20-30 bucks on them. The Andis works really well, but it's time for a new one and I've been noticing a struggle with its straightening as time goes on.....so yesterday I bought a Remington, that Wet 2 Straight one because I like the idea of skipping the whole "drying process". ANYWAY, now I'm thinking, before opening the Remington, should I just return it and get one at Sally's maybe? I don't want to go over 60 bucks, I'm not looking for something professional, I just want one that's going to somewhat straighten THICK hair....

.....so can any thick-haired ladies weigh in? What flat irons are yall using? I've done research, read threads, websites, reviews on various "popular" ones, but it seems so confusing since everybody both loves and hates each product. I just want a basic one that will do the job on thick hair.....I was thinking maybe the GVP Flat Iron from Sally's......or a Jilbere de Paris (which I've used before from a friend and thought was okay). Also, how do you tell if a flat iron is ceramic quality? You know, I've noticed some say ceramic but chip off anyway and others say ceramic but seem to.........not, lol. How do you tell? Am I looking for some kind of special word linked with ceramic?

Any responses are super appreciated, thanks!!! :grin:

I have real thick hair and I'm looking for a new flat iron. I'm thinking about getting a Croc 2 or a FHI Platform. My CHI isn't cutting it anymore.

Thick head checking in:

I have the older version Maxiglide (which works great) BUT have been getting really sweet presses with a generic electric straightening comb + UltraSheen Satin Press.

ETA: Must only straighten very small sections of hair at a time.

Back