Flat ironing help

lovelyladi

hello everyone..i'm new. Just registered but not really new. I've been on my hair journey going on 3yrs and i've just decided to sign up.

Okay.. here's the problem...
My hair was cut in layers, which makes a big difference when wearing my hair down. When i wear my hair down i get no bounce,no swig, my hair isnt really stiff its just... there. It sometimes sticks up and doesn't really lay flat. I don't use lots of products and i flat iron with a FHI. I do a cold rinse also which is suppose to help your hair lay flat. What i mean by not laying flat is, like my hair sticks out from my face..just doesn't wanna lay down straight.Even after a trim, my hair still doesn't wanna lay flat.It doesn't when i do it, but it does for my stylist.And i'm not paying her 45dollars to flat iron my hair:ohwell: I'm also 22weeks post. Maybe my technique is the problem? Any tips?

You don't really mention your technique. Ideally, you should be putting on some sort of heat protection, and then flat iron small sections. Flat ironing large sections tends to leave some strands without any heat, and that'll make the the hair stick out a bit more.

I shampoo with baking soda and Then do a ACV.
Use aphogee 2 step. Then DC with cholesterol condish.
Blow dry then flat iron with small sections.
I moisturize with mizani butter blends moisturizer and apply Chi silk infusion before flat ironing.

I think it may be the moistriser. I've found if you put even a little to much product on , it effects the final results. Maybe make sure your hair is well moisturised by deep conditioning and then apply the heat protectant the flat iron- what one do you have?

I'm actually wondering if you really need to wash with baking soda. It's really drying with my hair. Have you considered just using a natural shampoo if you don't want anything with sulfates in it?

Also, it really depends on how you are blow drying your hair. My hair "sets" up in the way that I blow dry it. Are you holding the strands up or down to blow dry. One of the ladies here told me when I first joined to make sure you are blow drying the cuticle flat, so you want to blow dry down the strand. Use a cool shot to set. If I air dry, my hair doesn't move. I think blow drying or rollersetting is the only thing that helps me have swing. Specifically blow drying properly.

When I roll my hair after that first day of blow drying, my hair stays still when I shake my head. I don't likey.

Lastly, when I had a relaxer (now texlaxed) my hair was bone straight, barely any elasticity and so when I would touch my chin to my chest (looking down) my hair in the back would stick out straight, it didn't hang. Only going natural and then later texlaxing helped me to understand that my hair was damaged with a full blown over processed relaxer. :)

Hope this helps. Please let us know your results next time.

Back