Flat-ironed style preservation

Hersheygurl

Hi Ladies,

I apologize for the redundant topic, but was up last night searching through various threads for alternatives to wrapping to keep my flat-ironed styles straight without much luck. Please enlighten me with what most of you are doing to keep your straight styles straight.

I used to wrap religiously to the right, but my hair just grew longer on that side. When I tried to alternate ( even starting in the back of my head), I still wound up with a sore temple area. I love what wrapping does for my ends, but can't take the thinning and uneven growth that seems to stem from it ( not to mention the manipulation even with a wide tooth comb). I just tried a mohawk set overnight on dry hair with gray magnetic rollers, but I feel it gave me too much " bump". Same thing with the satin rollers.

I tried clippping it up, but ends looked weird the next day; I don't think my bun technique is right either since when I do this at night, my ends are still weird. I use keracare creamy hairdress and jojoba oil on the ends, and not too much else since my hair is 4A fine ( texlaxed) and gets weighed down and greasy easily. Not sure if I am doing the bantu thing right either. Is anyone having luck with Sylver2's scarf swoop bonnet technique? Or anything else I may have missed? I just can't do the wrap thing anymore, since I noticed my hairline is so much healthier when I don't. I am currently MBL, and want to keep my ends from drying out. I don't always wear my hair so straight, but my Sedu gets it super silky straight, and I like to try to keep it that way. TIA in advance and so sorry for the rambling.:perplexed

Well I have a prettywrap www.prettywrap.com scarf which is a silk bonnet/scarf combo. Sometimes I just leave my hair loose and throw it under there. The majority of the time I sleep in a loose bun secured with a few hair pins or a ponytail holder.

If I want curls, I sleep with 4 purple flexi rods. If I want tighter curls, I sleep with 8 in.

You can do a cross wrap (got that term from LHCF). It works well for me. I'll do my best to describe it.

I comb my hair straight down and back. I take the left side and bring it around to the right side and pin down. Then I take the right side and bring it around to the left side and pin down. I put on my scarf (loose) and remove the pins, and then tighten my scarf. In the morning, I remove my scarf, brush twice with my paddle brush and viola.

Sorry, I don't have any pictures of it, but it sure does work great. Hopefully any of the other ladies here that do the cross wrap can chime in.

Thanks Allandra,

I forgot to mention that I can't seem to get the cross wrap to work for me either. I've tried it, but the ends seem to be dented too. I must be doing something wrong or using the wrong kinds of clips to hold the hair in place. I need all of the help I can get. Maybe others can tell me what I am doing wrong. Thanks again Ladies.

Thanks Allandra,

I forgot to mention that I can't seem to get the cross wrap to work for me either. I've tried it, but the ends seem to be dented too. I must be doing something wrong or using the wrong kinds of clips to hold the hair in place. I need all of the help I can get. Maybe others can tell me what I am doing wrong. Thanks again Ladies.
I just use a simple bobby pin to keep my hair in place, but I remove those and then tighten my scarf. If you keep the bobby pins in, you probably won't have nice smooth hair (at least I know I wouldn't). You have to be careful when you put the scarf (while making sure your ends are smoothed).

I may try the cross-wrap again and will do my best to keep my ends smooth. The problem is, I have layers that I am growing out, and the shorter hairs don't blend with the lengths as well as when I traditional wraps. My technique just isn't good. I will keep trying though and would appreciate any other suggestions.

You can try pin curling. You'll have a little bit of volume, but your hair will still be relatively straight. Just make sure to make them really large to avoid making an actual curl.

I use sponge curlers in the back, then the large soft rollers with the plastic grips on the sides (kind of like teeth) and I just don't sleep on the side of my head. It works great and I don't have to flat-iron again until wash day.

I finally got the cross-wrap right! I found a video on youtube of a girl who had slightly layered hair, and I got it right. The duckbill clips helped, and it layed down smooth for me last night. The ends were also still moisturized!

When I took of my scarf this morning, I loved the way my hair looked. No heat! I put in one gray magnetic roller in the top/crown area for volume, and it was better than the regular wrap! I will never wrap the other way again, and my straight hair stayed straight with less bend than the traditional wrap ( which is what I wanted), and it wasn't crooked-looking. I no I am late just now figuring out the cross-wrap, but I love it!

Thanks Ladies!!!

I finally got the cross-wrap right! I found a video on youtube of a girl who had slightly layered hair, and I got it right. The duckbill clips helped, and it layed down smooth for me last night. The ends were also still moisturized!

When I took of my scarf this morning, I loved the way my hair looked. No heat! I put in one gray magnetic roller in the top/crown area for volume, and it was better than the regular wrap! I will never wrap the other way again, and my straight hair stayed straight with less bend than the traditional wrap ( which is what I wanted), and it wasn't crooked-looking. I no I am late just now figuring out the cross-wrap, but I love it!

Thanks Ladies!!!

Do you have the link to the video? :grin:

Thanks Ladies!!!
I'm glad it finally worked for you. :)

Back