Flat Iron vs Relaxer

Hello Ladies,

I know the majority of you do not use direct heat on hair. However, I wanted to get your thoughts on flat ironing new growth every four days after hair is deep conditioned and air- dried.

I am going on 8 weeks post relaxer and it seems to work well. I am figuring that because I deep condition 2X weekly, my hair will never be dry and it is better than putting the chemical relaxer on the new growth.

Does anyone else do this or feel that I am doing more harm w/ flat iron vs relaxer to my new growth? I would hate for it to have grown six inches only to learn that it has heat damage.
shocked.gif

Btw, I never put the flat iron on the processed hair or my ends..only new growth—my poor ends have suffered enough.

Thanks! I can’t wait for all of your knowledgeable responses.

K

well to me it doesnt make much sense unless u are transitioning. Im thinking its defeating the purpose if u are eventually going to relax it anyway. Why not just go ahead and relax then it would lay straight instead of applying constant heat to it?

Also, if your main goal is stretching, most ppl have had more success with just trying to keep the new growth soft and moist as opposed to trying to fight the texture to make it match the relaxed hair. After a while u pretty much get used to the new growth and even start to like the feel of it when u learn to manage it.

just my 2 cents~

I flat iron my entire head (from root to tip) every 4 days and I'm relaxed as well. I don't experience any damage. (I add a blow drier to it too. haha)

You'll be fine if you have a good deep conditioner. (I deep condition everytime I wash with Design Essentials Stimulations for 5 minutes without heat.)

There are a lot of people that just flat iron the roots to fight new growth. I usually just get a relaxer at that point because I hate getting the iron to close to my scalp. (I'm a wimp!
laugh.gif
)

You should be fine. Especially if you're air drying. Just make sure you hair has enough moisture and elasticity.

I don't know, flat ironing your new growth every 4 days seem a little excessive to me. You have to be really careful around that line of demarcation. Have you tried air drying by way of a ponytail? It helps to smooth down the new growth.

Back