Flat Iron Testimonials !!

DivineNapps1728

I thought it'd be nice if we had one thread full of flat iron successes on natural hair & the tools/products necessary for achieving the look; it'd make things much easier when trying to find a straightening regimen.

Here's the format:

• Hair Type:
  • Products Used:
  • Tools Used:
  • Process/Procedure:
  • Additional Comments/Tips:
  • Result Pics:

Hopefully we can get this thread full of pictures & procedures in no time !! :yep:

Conair CS65P Infiniti I Series 3/4" Ceramic Straightener

TTyLI3LRSICFagA1j8GSdjLTgjvL7BZ5txrTCP7D4me5h11yE9JIEOsu5A_9ga-pR8R-QikFXYbsF5ECK4w1GOk1_R3XFopldmGtBm1YvVOIKRBDiZtRhv6WWOr0YhwDqKHTgivFnE8cYaoMtzX3tdzkht012xn11aHITFZfQUNG4itiPC_xOPpMLoTLSv1k4VMuKoqNVhKqAc1BAVfRmEyczsRnFIeg1nYx9JWvlFwUbzEnrolBigGB2QaKqYNPDo9vYSdtNtTfwQ4gFnsb2PkGgbfGPCfTS7zuXwnX9vAD8Nlf

I didn't have high hopes but when I turned it on I noticed the temperature display and was indeed excited to know that I'd have some kind of control and knowedge of how hot the appliance would be. My hair responded well to 275 and 300 degrees(the latter for my newgrowth, the former for freshly relaxed hair) with the highest being 410 I think, don't quote me. It has worked best compared to other's I've tried and in my opinion conair makes some decent appliances.
  • Hair Type: relaxed 4a/b bsl
  • Products Used: nexxus emergencee and humectress, vo5 moisture milks, ic fantasia, megatek
  • Tools Used: hair clips, conair iron, rat tail and shower comb
  • Process/Procedure: Once a week I wash or cowash depending on the build up or dryness of my hair but I mostly cowash. Next I protein condition with nexxus emergencee for 30 to 60 minutes depending on what I feel my hair needs, followed by a moisturising deep condition with neutrogena triple moisture deep recovery mask mixed for alittle coconut oil for about the same time depending on my hair needs. Then I add a drop each of fantasia IC hair polisher heat protector straightening spray, nexxus humectress, and megatek mixed together and apply all over, air dry till hair is about 80% dry then blowdry and flat iron. If I have splitends I'll use my split ender
  • Additional Comments/Tips: love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Result Pics: They're not too clear but they're a few hours after using the iron. The results were fab.
hinesville[1].jpg

SAM_0492[1].jpg

Last edited:
I'll add !!

• Hair Type: 4a mostly
  • Products Used: Aussie Moist Shampoo, Aussie Moist Conditioner, ORS Replenishing Conditioner, Mizani Moisturefuse, Chi SIlk Infusion, Proclaim Glossing Polish
  • Tools Used: Babyliss Pro Nano Titanium Flat Iron, Curlmaster Select Blow Dryer, Rattail Comb, Duck Bill Clips
  • Process/Procedure: I deep conditioned on dry hair with the ORS & Moisturefuse for 25mins w/ heat & 20mins w/o heat. I washed & conditioned w/ Aussie shampoo & conditioner. I applied Chi & blowdried then plaited my hair in sections. I removed braids in sections parting small pieces of hair to be flat ironed and securing the rest of the section w/ duck bill clips; I used two passes over the length of my hair & tapped the irons on my roots three times on heat settings ranging from 35-40. I used a small amount of glossing polish to seal the hair AFTER I finshed flat ironing.
  • Additional Comments/Tips: Deep conditioning is key for a good flat iron !! I was in serious need of a trim, but it wasn't terribly noticeable when I straightened

Attachments

• 100_3378.jpg
    100_3378.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 217
  • 100_3385.jpg
    100_3385.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 223
  • 100_3387.jpg
    100_3387.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 194
  • 100_3391.jpg
    100_3391.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 188
  • 100_3398.jpg
    100_3398.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 195
Last edited:
Conair CS65P Infiniti I Series 3/4" Ceramic Straightener

I didn't have high hopes but when I turned it on I noticed the temperature display and was indeed excited to know that I'd have some kind of control and knowedge of how hot the appliance would be. My hair responded well to 300 degrees with the highest being 410 I think, don't quote me. It has worked best compared to other's I've tried and in my opinion conair makes some decent appliances.

Do you have any pictures of your results? If so, can you include them along with your hair type & the products you use when you straighten?

Hair Type: 4b relaxed.

Products Used: CO wash with v05 or shampoo with kirkland sulfate free shampoo, conditioner is usually kenra mc, leave in is kiehls leave in followed by kiehl's heat protectant straightening cream then MOROCCANOIL. sometimes apply a tiny bit of Kiehl's Silk Groom Serum in sections before flat ironing.

Tools Used: Gold n hot blowdryer, K-cutter and FHI

Process/Procedure: lately, ive been using philip kingsley elasticizer as a pre-poo treatment. i leave on my hair the day before i plan to wash. 15mins is enough but i like to overdo it and my hair comes out much softer when i rinse it out after leaving for a day. lol.
rinse out, follow with shampoo or CO-wash with v05 kiwi and lime clarifying conditioner. rinse out then apply kenra. wear shower cap while i finish in the shower. rinse out, towel dry, apply kiehls leave in and the heat straightening cream(i sometimes mix them), follow with MOROCCANOIL then blowdry. I start finger combing when hair is 50% dry then i start combing while blowdrying when hair is about 75% dry.
I sometimes apply a tiny bit of kiehls silk groom serum to each section(4 sections). start with back then front. i try to do one pass with the FHI set to 330 degrees. I flip the ends inwards or outwards and comb out after 30 mins or so.

Result Pics:

Attachments

• 74124_461858947833_500982833_5416091_4701615_n.jpg
    74124_461858947833_500982833_5416091_4701615_n.jpg
    3.9 KB · Views: 177
* Hair Type: natural 3c/4a
* Products Used: suave clarifying shampoo, dove moisturizing shampoo, yes to carrots conditioner, aphogee provitamn leavein, camera ready by catwalk
* Tools Used: hair clips,maxiglide, rat tail, blow dryer
* Process/Procedure: I use the clarifying shampoo then follow it with the moisturizing shampoo. I deep condition with yes to carrots by sitting under the hair steamer for 30mins or sleep with it overnight. I rinse that out, spray my leavein and camera ready and flat iron on the highest setting on the maxiglide.
* Additional Comments/Tips: My hair always reverts back and i never have heat damage... its the best.
* Result Pics:
IMG_20101209_122930-vi.jpg
IMG_20101209_122223-vi.jpg

And the tutorial
YouTube - Straightening Natural Hair without Chemicals Part 1
YouTube - Straightening Natural Hair without Chemicals Part 2

Last edited:
@DivineNapps You did a wonderful job! I am on amazon.com trying to find this flat iron as I speak LOL

I LOVE this iron !! It gets hot, is easy to handle, doesn't pull or leave lines, cuts down on straightening time because the plates are 1 & 1/2 inches wide and I get hair with high sheen & movement !!

Now if I could only rebuild my edges my press would be perfect !! Lol :yep:

Hair type:3c
Products: Vo5 Conditioner,Giovanni SAS, Castor,Sunflower, &Apricot Seed oil, AOGBP conditioner, Redken Str8.
Tools: Maxiglide, Revlon Blow Dryer, clips, and a rat tail comb
Process/Procedure: I cowashed the day before using vo5, then I used my leave in of Giovanni SAS/oil mixture. I rinsed that out the next morning and did a protein treatment using AOGBP. I let my hair airdry about 60-70%. Then I separate my hair into 4 sections and applied a little of the Redken. I blow dry using a combo of the tension method, and a comb. I use my maxiglide on the highest setting. I know for a lot of people this would be a huge no-no, but I've never had adverse effects from using high heat. It works for me, so......onto the pics

Attachments

• 019.jpg
    019.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 160
  • 015.jpg
    015.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 139
I washed with diluted matrix so sleek and conditioned with matrix so sleek.

Then generously sprayed with Infusium and plaited it to air dry overnight.

nov9_7685-vi.jpg

Hair Type
: NATURAL -Type 4 Slightly past APL when stretched

Products Used:
Shampoo & Conditioner - Matrix So Sleek
Deep Conditioner - Bee Mine Bee-U-ti-Ful
Leave in - Infusium
Air Drying over night - Bee Mine Bee Loved Oil Moisturizer
Heat Protectant - CHI serum

Bee Mine Luscious Moisturizer..

Tools Used: Maxiglide flat iron, rat tail scrunchies, denman brush and shower comb
Process/Procedure: I washed dc'd and conditioned+detandgled in the shower.
applied leave in and moisturizer and airdried plaited overnight.

I used the Maxiglide set on 4 and the plate with the teeth. I found it easiest to do one quick pass on my ends so that the teeth would help detangle and then one pass starting at the roots. I unbraided one plait at a time and pressed that section, parting small sections at a time.

When I finished I braided it in 2 french braids or cornrows each night and moisturized the ends each night with Bee Mine Luscious Moisturizer
every other day I applied bee mine growth serum to my scalp.

It is cold not with no humidity so this lasted very well for 3 weeks.

Hair Type: 4a/b

Products Used: E'tae shampoo and conditioner. dumb blonde. nioxin bliss.design essentials silk drops. wide tooth comb and modified denman

Tools Used: ionic blow dryer with comb attachment fhi special edition flat iron

Process/Procedure: shampooed with E'tae. mixed E'tae conditioner with Dumb Blonde (bedhead) and mixed a little oil and dc'd with steam. detangled.rinsed well. sprayed the bliss on. blow dried. put a drop or two of polisher and each section and pressed with flat iron.

Additional Comments/Tips: when wearing my hair straight, I have to use a heat protectant but i also try to keep the products to a minimun so that i don't weigh my hair down
Result Pics:

Attachments

• Jamie's Length 004.jpg
    Jamie's Length 004.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 113
  • Jamie's Length 002.jpg
    Jamie's Length 002.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 108
  • Jamie's Length 003.jpg
    Jamie's Length 003.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 106

nov9_7685-vi.jpg

Hair Type

Products Used:
Leave in - Infusium

Tools Used: Maxiglide flat iron, rat tail scrunchies, denman brush and shower comb

I used the Maxiglide set on 4 and the plate with the teeth. I found it easiest to do one quick pass on my ends so that the teeth would help detangle and then one pass starting at the roots. I unbraided one plait at a time and pressed that section, parting small sections at a time.

When I finished I braided it in 2 french braids or cornrows each night and moisturized the ends each night with Bee Mine Luscious Moisturizer

I LOVE YOUR HAIR !!!! It's so thick & pretty :love2:

• Hair Type: Not really sure... 3c/4ab'ish
  • Products Used: It really depends on how I feel. For shampoo, I use Garnier Fructis Length & Strength or WEN cleansing con. For clarifying, I use ORS Aloe. For conditioner, I use AO GPB, AO Island Naturals, Garnier Fructis Length & Strength, or WEN cleansing con. I also like the Pantene Beautiful Lengths collection. I haven't committed to anything as a natural yet. LOL I also use Aphogee Keratin & Green Tea Restructurizer and my Jilbere shower comb. I use Sabino in the summer, to help with reversion.
  • Tools Used: Sally's Generic Chi flatiron and Conair Silverbird dryer
  • Process/Procedure: Wash and condition hair; spray Aphogee Keratin & Green Tea liberally; blowdry; flatiron; pincurl. My hair is silky and bouncy, like I just left the Dominican salon.
  • Additional Comments/Tips: I try to keep it as easy and simple as possible. I don't put any other products in my hair unless I absolutely have to. I only use my ouchless Goody brush to wrap my hair, otherwise I fingercomb.
  • Result Pics: I don't know if I have recent pics in my fotki, but there are definitely some older ones in there.

I just realised that this is for natural heads and I'm relaxed. I completely missed that. Sorry there.

ETA: But it did well with my 1.5'' of newgrowth.:look:

Last edited:
Hair Type: 3c/4a

Products Used: Suave Shampoo, DCed with KiyaFizzle[look it up, lol] Mixture of Aussie Moist, EVOO, lemon juice, honey, and salt. Motions heat protectent spray

Tools: Maxiglide, Hooded dryer, Blowdryer

Procedure: Shampooed. DCd with ingredients. Sat under hooded dryer for about 30. Hair was hard(guessing from the honey) and I washed it out. Sectioned hair in four sections. Applied Motions heat protectent spray. blowdried on medium heat, maxiglided on 5.

download-1.jpg

(Same pic as siggie, sorry I dunno how to resize :perplexed)

Last edited:
Here are some before and after shots with my FHI....
The client's hair was for sure a 4c (read 4z).
Folks had no idea what what going to happen but I channeled my LHCF spirit and it guided me through :)
Washed with Regis Hydrate shampoo and applied Casmere conditioner to detangle. Applied heat protectant 'get it pressed' and cranked up the FHI to 'too hot.' I also used my new Denman Thermobrush but my client's scalp was too sensitive to do it throughout the whole head, I only used it in the back. Not too much of a difference between using the brush and a small tooth comb to chase....

So, right now, I'm voting for FHI!

Mook, your hair looks SOOOOOO nice!
No straight pieces I hope? What temp was your flat iron set to?

Attachments

• IMG_2017.JPG
    IMG_2017.JPG
    94.6 KB · Views: 177
  • IMG_2018.JPG
    IMG_2018.JPG
    79.8 KB · Views: 181
  • IMG_2019.JPG
    IMG_2019.JPG
    93.1 KB · Views: 167

nov9_7685-vi.jpg

Hair Type

Products Used:
Leave in - Infusium

Mook..Your hair always looks top 10... Keep up the good work!

Happy Hair Growing!

nov9_7685-vi.jpg

Hair Type

Products Used:
Leave in - Infusium

Mookie! I think I've finally found my hair twin :gorgeous:

Going to look into those Bee-Mine products as soon as I use up my Qhemet's stash. Thanks for sharing!

Hair Type: 4a (pic of her natural hair in signature)

Products Used:
- Conditioner Wash w/ Suave Humectant
- Infusium 23 leave-in
- Pantene Pro-v Medium Thick Heat Protection & Shine before blow dry
- Fantasia IC Hair Polisher to flat iron

Tools Used:
- Conair Blow Dryer w/ comb attachment
- Amika 1.5 Ceramic Flat Iron

51aXulDMC1L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Process/Procedure:
- After wash, add more Suave Humectant to leave-in and add Infusium 23.
- Detangle hair and put in four sections.

- Separate one of the sections into a smaller section, spray on heat-protectant and blow dry on med. heat, high blow speed.
- Continue until all hair has been blow-dried and semi-straightened.
- Next, separate hair in small sections and rub a drop of the Fantasia IC Hair Polisher on it.
- Flat iron the section with the a thin-teeth comb in front of the flat iron.

Additional Comments/Tips:
I'm trying to heat train her hair, so I have been flat ironing it for 6-8 wks. The Amika is a great flat iron, once her hair is blow dried, It probably takes me maybe 30 minutes to flatiron her hair. It works well, and her hair feels so soft. It says pretty soft for two weeks until I do her hair again. I only spray her hair with a little bit of oil sheen on her ends maybe twice during a week if her ends are looking dry (only because her hair bonnet comes off sometimes at night when she sleeps).

Result Pics:

DSCN1311.jpg

Hair Type: 4a (pic of her natural hair in signature)

Products Used:
- Conditioner Wash w/ Suave Humectant
- Infusium 23 leave-in
- Pantene Pro-v Medium Thick Heat Protection & Shine before blow dry
- Fantasia IC Hair Polisher to flat iron

Tools Used:
- Conair Blow Dryer w/ comb attachment
- Amika 1.5 Ceramic Flat Iron

51aXulDMC1L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Process/Procedure:
- After wash, add more Suave Humectant to leave-in and add Infusium 23.
- Detangle hair and put in four sections.
- Separate one of the sections into a smaller section, spray on heat-protectant and blow dry on med. heat, high blow speed.
- Continue until all hair has been blow-dried and semi-straightened.
- Next, separate hair in small sections and rub a drop of the Fantasia IC Hair Polisher on it.
- Flat iron the section with the a thin-teeth comb in front of the flat iron.

Additional Comments/Tips:
I'm trying to heat train her hair, so I have been flat ironing it for 6-8 wks. The Amika is a great flat iron, once her hair is blow dried, It probably takes me maybe 30 minutes to flatiron her hair. It works well, and her hair feels so soft. It says pretty soft for two weeks until I do her hair again. I only spray her hair with a little bit of oil sheen on her ends maybe twice during a week if her ends are looking dry (only because her hair bonnet comes off sometimes at night when she sleeps).

Result Pics:

View attachment 102467

Oh boy..ur gonna have me running up to the Kiosk in the mall to get this iron..but I'm not letting them flat iron my hair:lol:....although theyseem to do a pretty decent job.

Oh boy..ur gonna have me running up to the Kiosk in the mall to get this iron..but I'm not letting them flat iron my hair:lol:....although theyseem to do a pretty decent job.

Yeah, they tried to get me in the mall with the flat ironing, but he ended up doing his own hair and it came it great and soft. But I didn't buy it in the mall from the Kiosk, I ended up getting it on Amazon. It saved me somewhere between $40 to $50 dollars, which is significant. I like it because my daughter's hair stays very soft without oil (although I do add a bit of oil to her ends for protection during the two weeks) or anything for two weeks because of that flat iron.

* Hair Type: natural 3c/4a
* Products Used: suave clarifying shampoo, dove moisturizing shampoo, yes to carrots conditioner, aphogee provitamn leavein, camera ready by catwalk
* Tools Used: hair clips,maxiglide, rat tail, blow dryer
* Process/Procedure: I use the clarifying shampoo then follow it with the moisturizing shampoo. I deep condition with yes to carrots by sitting under the hair steamer for 30mins or sleep with it overnight. I rinse that out, spray my leavein and camera ready and flat iron on the highest setting on the maxiglide.
* Additional Comments/Tips: My hair always reverts back and i never have heat damage... its the best.
* Result Pics:

And the tutorial
YouTube - Straightening Natural Hair without Chemicals Part 1
YouTube - Straightening Natural Hair without Chemicals Part 2

Loved it and subbed ur channel! I am sooo mad at you...I wasnt thinking about straightening my hair ever...now Im itching to get a maxi-glide lol!

Here are some before and after shots with my FHI....
The client's hair was for sure a 4c (read 4z).
Folks had no idea what what going to happen but I channeled my LHCF spirit and it guided me through :)
Washed with Regis Hydrate shampoo and applied Casmere conditioner to detangle. Applied heat protectant 'get it pressed' and cranked up the FHI to 'too hot.' I also used my new Denman Thermobrush but my client's scalp was too sensitive to do it throughout the whole head, I only used it in the back. Not too much of a difference between using the brush and a small tooth comb to chase....

So, right now, I'm voting for FHI!

Very cute, fine4s. That is my hair type and I have to turn everything up to "too hot"! Is that a FHI runway or platform?? I'm thinking of getting the runway. Please let me know!

Thanks for this thread Divine. I have tried the Maxiglide (big no no- plus awful burn smell), Sally's GVP Generic Chi (so-so blow-out results), and the Chi (mediocre results & still has burn smell-- not as bad as maxi). I have yet to get a completely sucessful flat iron session...so I think I'm going to have to upgrade!

Back