Flat-Iron Help (pics)

I used to get that same result when I first started. What I do know is take a sheen spray, comb out a small section and go down the section with the flat iron with the comb. Hope that helps!
I have thick hair as well.:yep:

I never thought about using a comb with the flat iron. I'll have to try it. Thank you.

Oh my damn!! You have to put a warning in your title :lachen::lachen::lachen:

Thats some big hurr right thurr!!!

Yous a fool! :lachen: :lachen:

OP, you have a looooot of hair! Sorry, but I had to laugh, cause I know you spent HOURS straightening it. Poor thing :lachen:

Everyone has given good advice. A heat protectant serum will protect your hair while making it sleeker and smoother. Also, some folks hair just don't respond well to airdrying followed by the flatiron. They need HEAT! (aka blowdryer)

Have you tried a higher setting on your iron? For the longest, I couldn't get my hair very straight, until I cranked up that heat :yep:

Yous a fool! :lachen: :lachen:

OP, you have a looooot of hair! Sorry, but I had to laugh, cause I know you spent HOURS straightening it. Poor thing :lachen:

Everyone has given good advice. A heat protectant serum will protect your hair while making it sleeker and smoother. Also, some folks hair just don't respond well to airdrying followed by the flatiron. They need HEAT! (aka blowdryer)

Have you tried a higher setting on your iron? For the longest, I couldn't get my hair very straight, until I cranked up that heat :yep:

Omg:lachen: It was frustrating. I'm scared of the higher setting on the flat iron. But I might need to turn it up.

1.I shampooed and dc my hair today.
2. I let my hair air dry and I detangled it.
3. I decided to put no products in my hair b/c I thought it would weigh it down.
4. Flat-ironed my hair and I end up w/ this mess.

My roots are still puffy(I think my new-growth is resistant to heat) and my hair is not sleek.

How do you achieve salon quality flat-ironed hair at home? Is it products or technique? I need help. I can't show up to church tomorrow like this.

hair006.jpg

hair007.jpg

You playin' right? You did not flatiron this. :lachen:
Here are my suggestions:

1.) Freshly conditioned, clean hair- nice ends. Makes the straigtening go much better. The conditioning phase also protects the hair from the heat. Nice ends keeps the ends moving so that they arent catching on each other.

2.) Very little product after the hair has dried. I usually spray in my leave in and add just a teensy bit of serum through out-- then either roller set or let airdry. Once it's dried, I don't put anything on it.

3.) Use a good quality flat iron- preferably ceramic. It'll distribute heat evenly and continuously. My last flat iron used to heat up HOT, HOT but by the time I was finished, the heat had fizzled out. I have an FHI and I use it between around 325 ish.

4.) Small, thin sections. And I mean paper thin sections that don't extend out past the plates of your iron. And to me this is like the most important thing. I don't send chunks of hair through the plates. Thin, thin thin sections.

I make the sections and then go over each micro sectioned piece with a fine toothed comb to make sure it's detangled. The better its smoothed out before the heat, the sleeker it will be after the heat has passed over it.

5.) Two passes-- I send the first passing about an inch or two down the shaft, and send another passing all the way down to the ends. That reduces the heat on the most vulnerable parts.

That's all I can think of now. :lachen: Those pics cracked me up though March!:lachen:

Here are my suggestions:

1.) Freshly conditioned, clean hair- nice ends. Makes the straigtening go much better. The conditioning phase also protects the hair from the heat. Nice ends keeps the ends moving so that they arent catching on each other.

2.) Very little product after the hair has dried. I usually spray in my leave in and add just a teensy bit of serum through out-- then either roller set or let airdry. Once it's dried, I don't put anything on it.

3.) Use a good quality flat iron- preferably ceramic. It'll distribute heat evenly and continuously. My last flat iron used to heat up HOT, HOT but by the time I was finished, the heat had fizzled out. I have an FHI and I use it between around 325 ish.

4.) Small, thin sections. And I mean paper thin sections that don't extend out past the plates of your iron. And to me this is like the most important thing. I don't send chunks of hair through the plates. Thin, thin thin sections.

I make the sections and then go over each micro sectioned piece with a fine toothed comb to make sure it's detangled. The better its smoothed out before the heat, the sleeker it will be after the heat has passed over it.

5.) Two passes-- I send the first passing about an inch or two down the shaft, and send another passing all the way down to the ends. That reduces the heat on the most vulnerable parts.

That's all I can think of now. :lachen: Those pics cracked me up though March!:lachen:

Yes, that is my pitiful job at flat ironing.:lachen:Thanks for the tips.

:lachen: :lachen: March girl I'm sorry to laugh but I just wasn't expecting all of that hair when I scrolled down your post. And I know exactly how you feel because I have not been successful at straightening. In fact if you turn your hair upside down, it will look exactly how mines comes out. My roots are straight but the rest of my hair is big.

I must say though, I think your hair is really beautiful as is.

3. I decided to put no products in my hair b/c I thought it would weigh it down.

My roots are still puffy(I think my new-growth is resistant to heat) and my hair is not sleek.

How do you achieve salon quality flat-ironed hair at home? Is it products or technique? I need help. I can't show up to church tomorrow like this.

hair006.jpg

hair007.jpg
:lachen::lachen:Look at you showing off all that thick, juicy hair!!!!!!!. Girl are you sure you wanted advise or just showing off your thickness:ohwell: :lachen::lachen:You have beautiful hair...rock it girl!!!!!!!!!!!!
I have no better advise than that:perplexed...Sorry!!!!!!!

Hey I know exactly how you feel I have ginormous hair and it tends to look poofy. As others have said airdrying is probably part of the problem. I have a pic. of my airdried hair in my fotki and it's a scary sight:lachen:. For me if I need stick straight hair I need to do some type of smoothing prior to flat ironing such as rollersetting or blow drying. Rollersetting gives me the best results. Another thing that helps bring some of the volume down wrapping it, when I do the saran wrap trick it flattens it out even more. Also, it helps if the hair is well conditioned and has a small coating of heat protectant.

:lachen::lachen:Look at you showing off all that thick, juicy hair!!!!!!!. Girl are you sure you wanted advise or just showing off your thickness:ohwell: :lachen::lachen:You have beautiful hair...rock it girl!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ummm hmmm! Maybe that's it! :rofl: She ain't foolin' nobody with that lush hurr!:lachen:

I never thought about using a comb with the flat iron. I'll have to try it. Thank you.
That's what I do.:yep:
Here are my suggestions:

Sista that's excactly what I do lol.
Rollersetting before-hand and using just a teeny amount of condi while conditioning helped me a bunch too:yep:

:lachen: :lachen: March girl I'm sorry to laugh but I just wasn't expecting all of that hair when I scrolled down your post. And I know exactly how you feel because I have not been successful at straightening. In fact if you turn your hair upside down, it will look exactly how mines comes out. My roots are straight but the rest of my hair is big.

I must say though, I think your hair is really beautiful as is.

Thank you. I wish had your problem. My hair still looks a mess.

Naw, I would not post this as one of my best pics but thank you for the compliment.:lachen:

Hey I know exactly how you feel I have ginormous hair and it tends to look poofy. As others have said airdrying is probably part of the problem. I have a pic. of my airdried hair in my fotki and it's a scary sight:lachen:. For me if I need stick straight hair I need to do some type of smoothing prior to flat ironing such as rollersetting or blow drying. Rollersetting gives me the best results. Another thing that helps bring some of the volume down wrapping it, when I do the saran wrap trick it flattens it out even more. Also, it helps if the hair is well conditioned and has a small coating of heat protectant.

I'm going to try roller setting and flat ironing afterward this afternoon .

I think your hair is gorgeous! Sometimes if I have been co-washing alot I have to clarify, deep condition and A small to moderate amount of heat protectant.(chi silk infusion). Small sections and a Ceramic iron are a must! I typically blow dry or rollerset first. Air drying does not work for me even when I was relaxed. HTH!:ohwell:

hair006.jpg

[/IMG]

Hi,

firstly you do have amazing hair!! my goodness.

When I flat Iron, my thick hair, I apply serum section at a time whilst its still wet and air dry it 80% then take thin sections and i mean thin, and not too wide either and comb it thru with a fine (ish) tooth comb, then straighten starting close the the root and pull it through not to slowly. When you get used to this eventually you will be able to comb and straighten simultaenously with the comb ensuring the hairs are in the right place to begin with. also are you pulling the straighteners out horizontally? beacuse you need to pull them down to the floor. if that makes sense.

When it comes to the front my friend taught me a trick, if you want it side swept, pull it on a diagonal across your face ...If I had a webcam Id show you.

Ihope this helps. The Key is for your hair not to be too dry,my Best friend straightens her hair when wet, I' too scared to do it but her hair is amazing.
hair007.jpg

i haven't read through all the comments here but i'm sure you've already got some great suggestions. this is what i thought below:

1. you should have applied heat protectant to protect your hair.
2. maybe the heat wasn't high enough
3. i have a lot of hair too and if i want a straighter blow out then the sections must be quite small
4. maybe try "chasing" the flat-iron with a comb to get a straighter look
5. youtube! i think you should have a look a a couple of videos and you'll be able to see properly how people are achievign sleek flat-ironed hair. i think that's better than reading words a lot of times. lady libra has a nice video.

regardless, i love how much volume yur hair has. maybe you should just braid it for a hot braidout or roller-set it if you don't want to re-flat iron.

I had better success when I used my revlon hot air brush. I also used my maxi glide (which I use to hate) with a higher setting. My hair came out great. I also took my time and flat ironed small pieces. I was turning heads all weekend.

I had better success when I used my revlon hot air brush. I also used my maxi glide (which I use to hate) with a higher setting. My hair came out great. I also took my time and flat ironed small pieces. I was turning heads all weekend.

glad you had some success! post pics!

Do you have pics?

March, this is overly simplistic, but what's the humidity like there? I know that in my prior hair-life (when I used to flatiron) I could do a beautiful job of it except during the summer. All the humidity outside would come straight inside and find me when I would attempt to do my hair. I could start with the front and it would look great, but would get poufy by the time I finished the back. I finally just gave up during summers.

The other day I redid my hair and roller set it. I went over my hair with a flat ironed. It came out really bouncy. I prefer air drying with the rollers and than flat ironing. Less heat.

Back