Flat Iron Experts HELP!! I Need Some Answers Please.....

mscocoface

My DSD asked me yesterday what was the difference between the ceramic and the tourmaline and I was like :perplexed.

As many of you know I am not one to use a flat iron unless I am ready for battle with The Beast!!:lachen:

I told her I would ask the lovely ladies here who are the experts their thoughts and get the facts so here goes.

What is a ceramic?

What is a tourmaline?

What is a cermic tourmaline?

Is the ceramic best, if so why?

Is the tourmaline best, if so why?

Is the ceramic tourmaline best, if so why?

Is there another type of flat iron out there not mention here? What is it and what do you think of it?

Which based upon your own experience is the best and why?

Thank you for your time and responses, you all are the bestest best and I know you know your stuff! (yeah I said it and meant it! :yep:)

Sorry, I do not have the answer, but just to make things even more complicated there is also Nano ceramic tourmaline...:look:

Like this one
8253-002257.jpg

I'm not good at wording this but here is a video that someone posted on the forums a few days ago he explains all of the things you need to know.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thVDtPulMOI

^^^ I thought nano only ment small( in relation the flatirons)
I am not sure, I think it is some kind of technology incorporated into newer flat Irons. I doubt that it means small. The video you linked touches on that just a little bit.

from my understanding tourmaline is best because you can use less heat yet get the same results as ceramic. Something about negative ions and all that. Ceramic or ceramic/tourmaline are the ones more common than regular tourmaline. I'm sure someone more experience will answer your questions though.

I am not sure, I think it is some kind of technology incorporated into newer flat Irons. I doubt that it means small. The video you linked touches on that just a little bit.
Oh ok I wasn't sure and I haven't watched it in a while :) it probably has something to do with making the particals or what not smaller so that they can better pinatrate the hair cutical

Oh btw I'm not indorsing the fhi runway, though I'm sure its great but I imagine you can get salon quality looks with more affordable flat irons as long as your tequnique(sp sorry typing from cellphone). Is good and you products are good.

from my understanding tourmaline is best because you can use less heat yet get the same results as ceramic. Something about negative ions and all that. Ceramic or ceramic/tourmaline are the ones more common than regular tourmaline. I'm sure someone more experience will answer your questions though.

Tourmaline is one of the hardest substances on earth and the particals of tourmaline put a greater pessure on the hair so you won't have to make somany passes or squeeze as hard .

1. Why should I invest in a professional flat iron instead of a cheap drug store flat iron?

Flat iron quality is all about the contents of the plates and the heating elements used. Consumer flat irons are
generally made with cheap materials and are poorly designed. Plates: Many drug store flat irons claim “Ceramic”
or “Tourmaline”. But in reality the majority of them are made with aluminum plates coated with regular paint.
Coating usually comes off plates after a few uses and hair get caught between the plates.

Heating Element: Consumer flat irons uses PTC or Ceramic Coated heaters which are more inefficient and they
don’t regulate heat as efficiently, this causes 3 major problems.

* Heat is not distributed across the surface of the plates evenly causing ‘cold spots’
(temperature lower on the outer edges of the plates)

* Large 'recovery time'
(The amount of time it takes the heater to get to its max temperature every time the iron passes
through the hair)

* Slow heat up times (The time it takes the iron to get to its desired temperature)

All these Factors are very important when a professional stylist is looking for the best flat iron.
Maintaining constant temperature throughout the entire styling session is very important to the
performance of the flat iron. Having poor heating element means you have to go through your
hair many times to get it straight, thus causing more hair damage.

2. I am very confused, what is all the fuss about Ceramic, Ionic, Tourmaline, Titanium and infrared?

Ceramic, Tourmaline and Titanium is the coating material for the hot plates. All three of the materials produce
negative ions when heated. But which one is better you asked, all three will do they all generate negative ions.
We haven’t seen any differences but if you are into technology Ceramic flat iron came out first followed by
Tourmaline flat iron and the newest right now is the Titanium flat iron.

What are the benefits of ions?

Your hair carries positive electrical charges caused by dry friction and natural movement of the hair, it tends
to spread out and become difficult to style. The positive electrical charges also cause hair cuticles to open,
resulting in dull, unhealthy hair. The negative ions cancel positive electrical charges, thus smoothing, relaxing
and repairing your hair. Infrared Heat penetrates the hair shaft from the inside, without damaging the outside.
However there is nothing really special about it. All heated object including all flat irons produce far infrared ray.
You can safely ignore this claim.

- from flatironexpert.com

Back