FLAT IRON DAMAGE

Blessed_Angel

Ladies, how do you know if and when you have flat iron damage? What are some of the ways this could happen? If you do have it, what products would help to repair the hair?

TIA.

BTW, I was wondering if you hear a sizzle when flat-ironing what does that mean exactly?

Well for one I have severe heat damage on my ends which makes them no longer revert as tightly as my new growth. I'm not sure of the signs, but the sizzle could be due to damp hair where water and intense heat dont mix, or your hair is being cooked.

Ladies, how do you know if and when you have flat iron damage? What are some of the ways this could happen? If you do have it, what products would help to repair the hair?

TIA.

BTW, I was wondering if you hear a sizzle when flat-ironing what does that mean exactly?
hi,,,,you could get heat damage from using a heating appliance too high on your hair or using it on wet hair which can cause the cuticle to explode which would cause breakage,, if your have hair that cannot seem to curl up and seems hard and crispy it may be heat damaged,,, if you have excessive split ends you may have some heat damage.... you really cannot repair damaged hair, it needs tobe cut sooner or later BUT you can use protein treatments such as Kpak , aphogee , paul mitchell hair repair treatment etc once a week unless your hair feels hard....when you use a heat appliance make sure youre using a heat protectant , spray or serum .... and do not iron on the hottest setting, dont keep the iron in one place too long,, dont do too many strokes on one piece of hair..hope that helps

^^^ITA with the above!

also, heat damage can throw off your porosity something terrible. some people won't see texture changes, splits etc. but will notice their hair doesn't hold moisture the way it used to... it can absorb a lot when wet but immediately dry out and then feel like straw. (not always related to heat damage, but can be)

I knew I had damage by the straight hairs that I had throughout my hair. My hair would not return to it tightly coiled stated and I was forced to bc, again.

My bangs have heat damage because I flat iron it everyday =/ ...I noticed it doesn't curl anymore except at the roots. So that's one way of noticing if you have heat damage. Also, if you flat iron it and it smells burnt.

hi,,,,you could get heat damage from using a heating appliance too high on your hair or using it on wet hair which can cause the cuticle to explode which would cause breakage,, if your have hair that cannot seem to curl up and seems hard and crispy it may be heat damaged,,, if you have excessive split ends you may have some heat damage.... you really cannot repair damaged hair, it needs tobe cut sooner or later BUT you can use protein treatments such as Kpak , aphogee , paul mitchell hair repair treatment etc once a week unless your hair feels hard....when you use a heat appliance make sure youre using a heat protectant , spray or serum .... and do not iron on the hottest setting, dont keep the iron in one place too long,, dont do too many strokes on one piece of hair..hope that helps

First, thanks a lot Raven. I see what I was doing wrong! I used to hear the crisp sound after I applied the serum; maybe I put too much and then would flat iron. My hair has been very hard but I thought that it was due to protein overload. I cut a lot, but I had so many split ends. I also kept the iron on the new growth for a few seconds to get it really straight. I think had it on about 350 or so. And I'm sure I went over the hair too many times. I thought this was all ok since I was using heat protectant.

Great advice ladies, please keep them coming. In the meantime, I will get the Paul Mitchell Hair Repair to see if I can "save" my hair. This explains the unexplainable breakage I've been experiencing; no matter what I do or use on my hair! And my hair was flourishing a couple of months ago; why did I start with this thing? The middle of my hair broke off pretty bad.

Anything else I need to use along with Paul Mitchell Hair Repair? TIA.

I am trying to figure out if my hair is having withdrawal symptoms from no touch-up (my first time being almost 8-weeks post; I usually relax at 6 weeks), or if I just need even more moisture....

I need your help ladies.

Please advice.

Back